Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 02:45:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electric Cars - Had a ride in Tesla taxi ...  (Read 34508 times)
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« on: 18 October, 2016, 11:37:46 AM »

Hi

Last week I happened to have a ride in Tesla ( Taxi from Schiphol ). It was a bit of a game changer ride really , I've never wanted an electric car before but this was really nice, super fast and looks good. By super fast, I mean it was or felt like integrale fast ( I see the 0-60 is 2.5 seconds on the website ) and seemed to be just continuous smooth acceleration ( as you'd expect from 4WD electric ).

This doesn't mean I'm going to buy one , at least not now and not a new one , but I can see that when my car is next changed ( the daily ) then it would be a consideration whereas before it wasn't.

*No thought has been given to costs, saving the planet, maintenance, etc - just : "I want one of these" ( which with modern cars is very very few and far between )

Anyone else any experience of Electric ?

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 18 October, 2016, 12:17:50 PM »

Steve, will only ever consider an electrical "appliance" when I have no other choice........wheres the market for classic washing machines, hair dryers, fridges........

Plus its still open to debate as to how green they are, do you pollute remotely at electricity generation point or at point of usage? Not even considering the rest of the supposed very flawed arguments.

Plus the small point of when they measured pollution levels of petrol vs electric vehicles on the street ( ie real world)  that pollution was significantly higher due a simple issue......the heavier electric powered vehicle chucking up the dust/micro dust already on the road surface into the atmosphere!

P
« Last Edit: 18 October, 2016, 01:00:45 PM by Parisien » Logged

Frank Gallagher
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2016, 02:26:51 PM »

I agree that they have reached the "object of desire" stage.  Its the one car I enjoy spotting, fairly often in London. So far I've only seen the people carrier on the road once: on the M40 just outside the M25.

At Bluewater they have a shop with a bare chassis to pore over.

http://www.bluewater.co.uk/stores/tesla

Once upon a time given the chance to "have any car for a day" it would have been a shouty supercar, right now it would be to try a Tesla...and here's where I'd go to do it...

https://www.evrent.co.uk/

Having just looked them up again on Google this one also popped up:

http://www.white-car.co.uk/

Would anyone here be brave enough to sit there while the computer did the driving?  I struggle with cruise control.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 18 October, 2016, 02:27:04 PM »

Paul, my youngest son has just taken delivery of a new BMW i3. To quote Steve, it's a bit of a game changer!! It is something that, at this stage of electric car development, I thought would be little more than a gimmick with poor passenger experience, limited range and all sorts of other problems. However, it has good, smooth acceleration, minimal noise and is extremely comfortable. He has driven to Oxford and back in the day with a FREE re-charge at the MINI factory and said that it was an enjoyable relaxed drive. Typically his fuel cost is 2p/mile!!! All in all it is astonishing!!!! He recognises that he has yet to drive it in winter with lights, heater, etc etc in use, but so far it exceeds his expectation and he is delighted with it!!

If there is an interest, I will keep the thread up-dated!!

Andy
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 18 October, 2016, 02:31:12 PM »

The Model X is the one "in store" at Bluewater at the moment with the "Falcon Wing" doors.  Interesting how Tesla are so understated while BMW have gone "car of the future" with the styling.  I see a few of the BMW electric supercar about and an increasing number of the family wagons.  There's also an electric VW - I think its called the "E-Up" - which is increasingly common. 

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/modelx

David Laver, Lewisham.
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 18 October, 2016, 05:44:45 PM »

Those Tesla things are just a bit common on the roads today, what you really need is an electric car produced by one of the great Italian styling houses, famed for its aggressive and quirky products.......... The Zagato Zele.
My friend at European Classic Cars has one for sale at the moment, practical it isn't, the range and top speed are just to low, but for a quick buzz around his yard it was great fun!

http://www.europeanclassiccars.co.uk/cars_19.html

* Zagato Zele copyright photo.JPG (323.52 KB, 900x600 - viewed 412 times.)

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 18 October, 2016, 06:12:48 PM »

I too went in one from Schipol, and was impressed. They are a good option although really pricey at the moment. The only downside is that I thought the interior was a bit too obviously skimmed down, perhaps weight was an important consideration given the weight of all those batteries.
But I like the look of them and they certainly go well enough.
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 18 October, 2016, 09:42:14 PM »

Yeah, I'm not looking at this with my 'eco' head , just with my 'desire' head - I was surprised and I think it's a game changer. If it allowed me to commute and have the classic for the weekend then that's great Smiley

I didn't look much at the interior as it was dark - but the console was pretty techy - as you'd expect.

But I think the test will be what we think in 10 years time when we look back on this thread.

... and as this is innovation, what would Lancia be doing with this ? Would it be at the forefront ? or should I not go there ... Smiley

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
bobhenry999
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 18 October, 2016, 10:26:12 PM »

Steve,

The power to re-charge that car had to be created at a power station, which was almost certainly powered by oil, gas or even coal, so it doesn`t solve the problem of pollution, it just moves it elsewhere.

Besides which, as you are in the LMC, you obviously must appreciate "Proper" cars, and know that these electric things will never be able to replicate the noise, sound and smell of a real car.

I for one, can`t wait for this fascination for electric cars to go away for good !

Flavia 815 Vignale
Flavia 819 Milleotto
Flavia 815 Coupe Inezione
2000HF x2
2000 Coupe
2000 Sedan x3
Current 815 Coupe Variante 1005
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 19 October, 2016, 09:50:35 AM »

I have a feeling they won't. Or perhaps something like hydrogen will take over the mantle. I used to sneer at the poor quality of digital cameras when they first appeared - you could never replace film for quality. Now I can't even imagine the stone age concept of not seeing what you've just shot, then take it to Boots, then wait a week, then see how they've turned all those blue holiday skies to a uniform grey. Don't get me wrong, I love my rorty little Fulvia and flicking up and down the gears through the corners. But I often ask myself, what will eventually happen to all those thousands of classics that are lovingly restored when they are seen as antisocial or in time petrol stations start to disappear? It will happen. Big changes happen in society from one decade to the next. Look at the attitudes to smoking and drink/driving which were very relaxed once upon a time. I always imagine a child of the future looking at my Fulvia and saying 'So you had to adjust the valve gaps, change the spark plugs, check the water and chuck all the oil away every 4500 miles and fit a new filter?' It will be as alien as putting a TGV driver on the footplate of the Flying Scotsman.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 19 October, 2016, 11:29:53 AM »

Interesting, but at least the Flying Scotsman and other steam trains are still running in small number in the UK, lets hope many Fulvias are when they get to 80+ years.

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 19 October, 2016, 12:02:39 PM »

@Stanley : Yep that's my take on it.

Here's another thought : if we get autonomous cars in the future then people won't bother to learn to drive and won't have the passion for cars that exists today. We could be looking at the last generation where at 17 you aspire to driving ...

I have just bought a record player though Smiley quite nice listening to old albums again ...

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 19 October, 2016, 01:38:16 PM »

Interesting, but at least the Flying Scotsman and other steam trains are still running in small number in the UK, lets hope many Fulvias are when they get to 80+ years.

I didn't want to ramble on too long in my post but possibly that's where it will end up for cars (hopefully not for a long time). Instead of 'steam days' I think we will drive to places like Silverstone in our hydrogen cars for 'petrol days' to wallow in the smells and sounds of classic cars.

nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #13 on: 19 October, 2016, 09:00:38 PM »

I read an interesting article a while back that postulated that the time will come, in the not too far distant future, when electric motors and batteries have developed to such a stage (efficiency, size and price) that somebody will offer a diy-install package that can be retro-fitted to existing cars.  The article went as far as identifying some classic cars with "problem" engines that would be given a new lease of life with this approach.  The only one I can recall the article mentioning was the Triumph Stag. I wonder what a Fulvia Coupe would run like with such a power plant, and with thin lithium batteries under the back seat and in the boot?   Heaven forbid I hear you all say and I'm inclined to agree, but it may provide a way forward when/if petrol burning engines are ever banned completely.  Not a good solution for me though as I have no electricity in my garage for re-charging!   

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 20 October, 2016, 09:55:00 AM »

I'm also sure you will be able to download a Gr.4 engine soundtrack too so that you're Fulvia isn't whining along like a toy car.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd