Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 08:20:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electric Cars - Had a ride in Tesla taxi ...  (Read 34530 times)
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #60 on: 26 June, 2018, 06:06:08 AM »

Government decisions have had an enormous impact on Jaguar Cars (Jaguar/Land-Rover) as they are currently locked in to 50% diesel production. Can they survive?   

Despite their promise to go all electric, Volvo must be in a similar situation at present; huge diesel cars.....

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #61 on: 26 June, 2018, 08:35:05 AM »

As per S Times, so far the public are acting as Guinea pigs for the government and car makers, largely sold a pup to date!

P

Frank Gallagher
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #62 on: 10 October, 2018, 10:56:18 AM »

Why you have (probably) already bought your last car : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45786690

Here's some more food for thought ( it's now been 2 years since my ride in a Tesla )

« Last Edit: 10 October, 2018, 11:49:40 AM by sparehead3 » Logged

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #63 on: 10 October, 2018, 11:58:34 AM »

https://youtu.be/dKQPHC4JyAU

Not sure it's all smooth sailing for Tesla owners

P

Frank Gallagher
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #64 on: 05 March, 2019, 02:04:47 PM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47418405

The world's fastest car street legal is now electric and italian .... 0 to 62mph < 2secs

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
bobhenry999
Megaposter

« Reply #65 on: 10 March, 2019, 09:53:47 PM »

Yes, but can I drive  from my house near Colchester to Inverness (560 miles) without having to stop and re-charge it god knows how many times.

I can, and have done that journey a number of times with only a brief coffee/toilet break.
When someone can give me a car that can do 500-600 miles without having to re-charge, then I might think about it.

But that still doesn`t solve the problem of where all this fantastic electricity is going to come from,as there are currently over 30 million cars on our roads today, so how are we going to power these so called green cars ? I also live in a small village that doesn`t have street lighting or even gas, so where in the grand scheme of things will we be in the great electric car plan ??

Flavia 815 Vignale
Flavia 819 Milleotto
Flavia 815 Coupe Inezione
2000HF x2
2000 Coupe
2000 Sedan x3
Current 815 Coupe Variante 1005
Cassino

« Reply #66 on: 11 March, 2019, 12:31:52 PM »

And how is the Government going to fill the coffers when carbon fuel is not consumed , and tax take is going to be almost zero, when we all drive electric?

2017/2018.....almost 28 Billion GBP (HMRC figures)

Ian

Delta Series 3. Appia Berlina Series 2.
Moto BM Zebretta. Moto Guzzi Leggera 65

Previous Lancias.
 Beta Berlina 1400,Delta 1300, Delta GT,Prisma 1500,Prisma 1600 IE, Dedra 1800, Dedra 2000.IESE.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #67 on: 11 March, 2019, 01:25:54 PM »

The Tesla can do over 300 miles on a charge and the quick charge can top up 80% in under 20 minutes, so that shouldn't create to many problems.
What no one ever seems to talk about as already mentioned, Where's all the power to come from? renewables certainly won't have the capacity.
How will people who have no drive way or possibly can't even park near a power supply cope?
Besides can you imagine the claims if pedestrians start falling over cables.
Vandals damaging the cable etc, someone stealing the equipment.
I could go on🙄
Brian
 Shocked Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #68 on: 11 March, 2019, 02:38:02 PM »

Electric clearly isn't for everyone, and its likely to remain that way a while, but here in SE london its amazing just how many ordinary looking VWs and Toyotas and Kias are making the same noises as the BMWs and Mercedes that ticked the "hybrid" box let alone the fleets of Prious and "look at me" Teslas and i3s.  It used to be unusual to spot a Tesla, must see one most times out now.   The Jaguar IPace is popular as well.

More and more buses are hybrid, don't see that many full electric.  More and more delivery vans are full electric.  Lots of the ZIP cars are electric now.

As for "where will the power come from" 30pct of electricity is now renewable, up from 10pct in 2012.  A way to go still but they're getting there.  I've been surprised to see fields in the fens given over to solar.  Just looked on wiki and the proportion from sustainable gas is a surprise, don't need the sun to shine or wind to blow for those ones at least.  Obviously storage of power is an issue, and inside an electric car is one place to put it, and am sure will be able to sell power back from car batteries.  On days when its just sat there why not?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy_in_the_United_Kingdom

David Laver, Lewisham.
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #69 on: 11 March, 2019, 07:00:03 PM »

There's a supplement with this months Classic and Sports Car, 5 pages long, listing companies who "electrify" classic cars, ranging from Morris Minors, MGBs and Beetles to Aston Martins and 911s.

I can mail it to you if you wish.

P

Frank Gallagher
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #70 on: 11 March, 2019, 07:13:23 PM »

I have a friend who works in promotion of electric cars in London and we have come to the conclusion that some form of hydrogen fuel cell will probably be needed to make electric cars practical as the principle power source for cars.
Mikenoangelo
Megaposter

« Reply #71 on: 11 March, 2019, 09:05:52 PM »

I've been driven in a Jaguar I-Pace - which was superb, with absolutely amazing and effortless acceleration.

I do wonder about the battery weight involved - energy density of batteries is poor compared with petrol, although the Tesla Model 3 seems to have pared down the overall weight of the car significantly - I don't know how. There are lots of issues about the fire safety of batteries in accidents and sources of, and recycling of battery materials.

I'm not sure that governments have joined up thinking about how to make everything electric and provide enough power, given the failure to push on with nuclear. Their record on encouraging diesel and then killing it is depressing.

I have no fear about how they will replace the lost revenue from road fuel - they'll soon be tracking us all and sending a bill each month.

As an aside - has anyone else watched the Formula E racing? GP is boring but formula E ten times worse, with what seem to be identical racers racing on a narrow circuit ( Hong Kong last weekend) with almost no way of overtaking except by punting your opponent up the stern. The wail of electric motors is like dozens of police sirens. Scalextric comes to mind!

The demise of the I.C. car is a depressing thought but they said that about the horse!

Mike
Sebastien
Megaposter

« Reply #72 on: 12 March, 2019, 09:48:34 AM »

Regarding Hydrogen fuel cells: They certainly make more sense than batteries especially for HGVs. In Switzerland there has been a trial with Hydrogen fueled postal busses - they have done 1,3 Mio. km with 5 busses over 5 years. And Coop, a big retailer, has a trial with a big Hyundai delivery truck. In Swiss newspaper they write that Hyundai will put 1000 fuel cell HGVs on Swiss roads until 2023.

Of course these are just trials, and prices are high, but they help develop a promising technology - including also the production, storage and distribution of Hydrogen.

I have also seen one of the fuel cell Hyundai cars driving around Zurich.

For more information:
https://h2mobilitaet.ch/en/h2-mobility/

Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #73 on: 12 March, 2019, 10:08:43 AM »

Suspect we are in a VHS versus Betamax moment, and as hydrogen systems are improved, they may well leap frog the battery type vehicles as regards cost and usability, but it may well end up, hydrogen for 200 mile plus ranges and HGVs, battery for urban situations .

P

Frank Gallagher
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #74 on: 12 March, 2019, 02:04:41 PM »

The comment about horses - horses have not gone away, but we no longer have piles of poop and wee in the streets.  I love a petrol engine, and would be very reluctant to go electric even on the lawn mowers for all the strimmer has a battery, but as a resident of a London suburb and walking as much as I do the sooner mile after mile of stationary cars ticking over on petrol or diesel is replaced by mile after mile of stationary electric cars the better.

...of course I still want to drive MY petrol car... 

Electric robot mower?  Maybe. 

Electric robot taxi?  I'm more than comfortable with an electric robot DLR train and, while yet to be put to the test, I think I'd trust my life to one.  We have them round the O2 just down the road and Greenwich is likely to get them first so my chance might come fairly soon.

Electric car?  Open to it, but its yet to "add up" for us.

Back to horses, they are something I do see everyday as there's a big police stables down the road (and cycling watch out for "evidence") and every now and then I see the Royal Horse Artillery out en mass.  They've not been regulated off the roads, for all the economics have pushed the rag and bone man and brewery drays out, and generally they are "a treat to see" and treated with respect.  Hopefully classic cars will continue likewise.

David Laver, Lewisham.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd