Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 03:39:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electric Cars - Had a ride in Tesla taxi ...  (Read 34514 times)
bobhenry999
Megaposter

« Reply #45 on: 06 December, 2017, 10:45:20 PM »

Guys,

All this is quite depressing, and completely ignoring the fact that cars are not "White goods" like fridges, freezers, washing machines etc.

We buy cars based on so many factors and choices, some of which are economy, looks, quality, and even ecological reasons, but that is ignoring the emotional factors, that we in the UK (And the LMC) are so heavily biased to.

We in this country love our cars, only second to our homes, that is why in my opinion, these electric washing machine cars won`t ever be the norm, and as has already been said in this post, they only move the pollution out of the towns, to where the fossil-fueled power station is located !

In the 1960`s and 70`s we were told that by the end of the Millennium we would all be travelling around in flying cars, but that hasn`t happened for obvious reasons !

So, until someone invents a battery that will allow a car to travel for 500+ miles before refuelling, as most modern diesels do, then I don`t see how electric cars can possibly be the future.

I live in East Anglia, and often travel to the North West of the Scottish Highlands, which is a distance of 650 miles. Even with the best Tesla model (£30,000+)  it would require re-charging in Yorkshire, and then again once into Scotland. So that means two overnight stays just to get to the further reaches of the UK, something which I can achieve in one day in my new Mercedes diesel.

In my humble opinion, electric cars are not the way to go. Maybe Hydrogen fuel will a possibility, but until then, we will have to stick with fossil-fueled cars, and long may it be so !

Anyway, that`s my rant over,

Bob

Flavia 815 Vignale
Flavia 819 Milleotto
Flavia 815 Coupe Inezione
2000HF x2
2000 Coupe
2000 Sedan x3
Current 815 Coupe Variante 1005
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #46 on: 07 December, 2017, 11:02:38 AM »

We will also need 44 ton trucks that can travel right across Europe as fast as they do now, dump a load, pick up a load and head straight back. You can't have a trip from Spain to Scotland taking 3 weeks.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #47 on: 07 December, 2017, 12:09:45 PM »

Unfortunately Brexit may add two days on such a truck journey when they arrive at channel with customer formalities... lets hope suitable charging points are installed at the channel tunnel and ferry ports for cars and trucks.

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #48 on: 07 December, 2017, 12:40:20 PM »

But Tesla are working on battery swap outs ...

... and you were to buy the 'journey' to Scotland then it wouldn't matter if you changed cars at a service station

Electric or Hydrogen or Rail or Flying - doesn't really matter if I'm just buying the 'journey' ... if it's all smart and connected up then it can work it out what's the best way at the time ( like Google Navigator works out the best way for me to get home depending on the traffic as I leave the office )

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #49 on: 07 December, 2017, 03:41:13 PM »

You're quite right of course, but I think deep down we don't want to lose the intake noise of a pair of Webers or Dell'Ortos. Held in third gear. In an Alpine tunnel......

Now come on, we've all done it.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #50 on: 07 December, 2017, 06:25:17 PM »

I am sure electric cars will have their place and that place will expand as facilities and technology develop. In built up areas where journeys tend to be short and pollution is a more acute problem I am sure they will be a boon. However for longer journeys and in rural areas where electric infrastructure is likely to be as sparse as mobile phone coverage internal combustion engines look like continuing to be the best option. For recreational purposes those twin Webbers will win every time though.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #51 on: 07 December, 2017, 07:31:34 PM »

I'm pretty sure with the Tesla at least, there's a 15 minutes fast charge.
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #52 on: 07 December, 2017, 08:17:15 PM »

Fifty minute equals 80% it’s the final 20% that takes the time.

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #53 on: 08 December, 2017, 06:18:15 AM »

Fifty minute equals 80% it’s the final 20% that takes the time.

A stop for something to eat and drink would probably take that long, so how much further would that 80% charge take you?
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #54 on: 09 December, 2017, 10:46:24 AM »

Ten years ago - £92,000 for a two seater with a 55 mile range (or 211 "official" miles at a squeak).

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/mar/05/top-gear-tesla-jeremy-clarkson

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/blog/tesla-vs-top-gear

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2017-11-28/the-grand-tour-amazon-tesla-jeremy-clarkson/

Looked back at that story after watching the new Grand Tour last night (both as childish and as epic as ever) with the electric supercar crash (and burn) that was in the headlines over the summer.  I must say the tech has really come on in ten years... 

I also had a ride in a friend's Passat GTE which is 150bhp of 1.4 turbo petrol with 50l of fuel vs the standard 66l.  The battery is under HALF the boot floor so there's still a big locker there.  The electric motor is 60bhp which is plenty with a published "all electric" range of 30 miles, obviously at a steady 10mph with the wind behind and heater off you'd do better and it could all be gone in a lap of a race circuit.

How does a journalist report fuel consumption?  "It depends..." is about the only possible response but they have a good go at it here.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/our-cars/volkswagen-passat-gte-estate-long-term-test-review-test-toughness

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #55 on: 09 December, 2017, 11:03:40 AM »

A couple of GTE reviews. 

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/volkswagen/passat-estate/14-tsi-gte-advance-5dr-dsg/first-drive

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/passat-gte

My friend could have had a "normal big estate" as the weekend and holiday car and a small all-electric for his commute and family runabout but they can only park one car.  He got a big discount off the ticket price and the tax / finance side was too complex for me to follow.  I agree with the reviews that it is super smooth and quiet and manages all the transitions without you knowing.  The screen was in the "tell me what its doing" mode with a graphic showing the power flows in and out (regenerative braking) but with all that blank you'd not have know it was a hybrid at all, other than the spooky silence.

It ABSOLUTELY is "horses for courses" and this car will be in all-electric mode for the vast majority of trips and a greater proportion of miles.  For others 37mpg is not impressive, there's extra weight spoiling ride and handling and acceleration, its more expensive and complex.

David Laver, Lewisham.
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #56 on: 09 December, 2017, 11:19:03 AM »

"More astonishingly, around 98 percent of all single-trip journeys were under 50 miles in length, with trips over 70 miles in length accounting for just one percent of all single-trip journeys.

The average single-trip distance? Just 5.95 miles. And while rural respondents naturally traveled further on average than their urban counterparts, 95 percent of all rural-based trips were still under 50 miles. "

The few stats above support the almost instanteous swop over to electric cars. Something like 1/2 the pollution caused by cars is during the warm up period, so benefiting the whole of the environment in one foul stroke, but the biggest polluters are lorries and buses I suspect!!!

P

Frank Gallagher
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #57 on: 12 December, 2017, 07:13:51 PM »

Budweiser have just ordered a fleet of 40 electric articulated lorries in the US.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/budweiser-orders-a-fleet-of-tesla-trucks/ar-BBGDNzi?li=AA8sb7&ocid=spartandhp
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #58 on: 25 June, 2018, 11:35:48 AM »

So, the Pike's Peak record has just fallen to an electric VW ... https://www.pistonheads.com/news/general-pistonheads/vw-shatters-pikes-peak-record/38250

Not the full in car video yet but looks impressive

I guess, that being electric, altitude is not a problem ( ? )
« Last Edit: 25 June, 2018, 11:44:01 AM by sparehead3 » Logged

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #59 on: 25 June, 2018, 09:39:50 PM »

Government decisions have had an enormous impact on Jaguar Cars (Jaguar/Land-Rover) as they are currently locked in to 50% diesel production. Can they survive?   

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd