Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 03:35:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electric Cars - Had a ride in Tesla taxi ...  (Read 34512 times)
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #30 on: 07 September, 2017, 11:49:42 AM »

Here's some food for thought :

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-britishcars/electric-e-type/36716

https://www.electricclassiccars.co.uk/

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #31 on: 07 September, 2017, 09:04:59 PM »

That looks like a worthwhile route for those wishing to travel in a classic but in circumstances where an internal combustion engine wouldn't be allowed. Most interesting.
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #32 on: 17 November, 2017, 01:38:56 PM »

errrrmmm ! https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-americancars/tesla-roadster-quickest-car-in-the-world/37108

According to Tesla, the new model will crack 0-60mph in 1.9 seconds - and top 250mph flat out. By 4.2 seconds - the kind of time a Porsche 911 Carrera 4S takes to hit 60mph - the Roadster will be doing 100mph; nearly a second quicker than it took the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport when Autocar strapped a V-Box to it in 2011. The quoted standing quarter mile time is 8.8 seconds.

.... and it looks good too

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #33 on: 17 November, 2017, 10:06:41 PM »

That Tesla - ALL Teslas - are boggling.

Meanwhile....

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-americancars/singer-and-williams-unveil-500hp-964/37089

David Laver, Lewisham.
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #34 on: 18 November, 2017, 07:50:21 AM »

Can we see the term electrichead catching on?

Or instead of getting hands oily, got a few shocks whilst fettling the old electric motors?

The hum/whine of an electric car doesnt stir the soul.........

No more runs to petrol station for late night provisions, and get filled up at same time.

Plus of course they wont require a human input any more......

RIP Driving pleasure, involvement, satisfaction......

P

PS But then we'll save the planet....small reward!!!!

Frank Gallagher
mikeC
Megaposter

« Reply #35 on: 18 November, 2017, 09:13:06 AM »

Electric vehicles wont save the planet - all they do is transfer the pollution from city streets to the countryside where the power stations are  Roll Eyes

1953 Lancia Appia Series 1
1931 Austin Seven deluxe saloon
1914 Saxon Model A roadster

(previously owned Lancias: 1958 Appia Pininfarina coupe, 1987 Delta LX, 1986 Delta cabriolet, 1991 Dedra 1.8, 1993 Dedra 1.6)
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #36 on: 18 November, 2017, 09:18:18 AM »

As a proving exercise there was a Tesla that joined in our rally from Beijing to Shanghai. Its about range. The Tesla could not complete two separate 300 km sections, with only fifty kms left the crew were forced to divert to find a charging station. A 'supercharge allows 80% charge in fifty minutes, however a domestic charge, in China demanded 12 hours with associated risks. They may be fast, but the range at any cruising speed above 120 kph is incredibly limited.

* DSC_2446.JPG (505.04 KB, 1124x750 - viewed 317 times.)

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
Sebastien
Megaposter

« Reply #37 on: 18 November, 2017, 12:18:31 PM »

Nothing new under the sun!

During the 2017 Lancia Club France tour in the French and Swiss Jura we were received in a very special private car collection on lake Neuchatel.

The Detroit Electric car was taken out, and Joachim Griese and me even got a ride in it!
That company produced around 13'000 electric cars between 1907 and 1939, and we were told ladies enjoyed the easy driving and comfortable interior. We also found the comfort and driving experience fascinating! Only range, and price reduced sales in depression America, and led to a closure of the company.

Today, with the VW diesel scandal, and concerns about pollution in big cities, electric cars are coming again.

I am convinced that the electric car has a big future, especially in towns, and that governements, power generating utilities, and users will find ways to improve power distribution and storage, taking into account the big shift to renewable energy sources, including locally produced photovoltaic. As written before, I enjoy my fully electric BMW i3, and intend to keep driving it for a long time!

* IMG_3326.jpg (384.28 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 276 times.)

* IMG_3317.jpg (361.03 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 280 times.)
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #38 on: 18 November, 2017, 03:40:23 PM »

The BMW i3 that I recently had the pleasure to ride in was normally used in the ‘all electric’ mode, but it was also fitted with a small petrol engine (with a small amount of fuel) tucked away somewhere that could be started up just to re-energise the batteries if needed. I was totally impressed with the car and its acceleration was amazing. 
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #39 on: 18 November, 2017, 06:18:31 PM »

With more renewable than coal in the UK now the "it just moves the pollution" argument isn't there as it was.  I also know more and more people who use a Tesla "like a normal car".  The range and recharge is ok for all it needs planning ahead.

I'd have an I3 or a Tesla in a heart beat - and am looking forward to electric vans, trucks, buses and everyone else in electric shopping cars for the noise and smell.  Its been great having smokey old scaff trucks off the streets and hybrid buses now the norm.

AS LONG AS WE CAN STILL USE OUR PETROL CARS AS WELL.

What worries me MUCH more is the lack of an MOT.  Makes me nervous that we'll have to follow a man with a red flag and have the route signed off six months ahead.  There's every chance that before long it will be laps of the Brooklands test track then back on the trailer.

David Laver, Lewisham.
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #40 on: 18 November, 2017, 07:06:52 PM »

There are environmental benefits in electric cars in terms of power generation and use but I am left wondering about the environmental cost of mining the raw materials for the batteries and possible difficulties in end of life disposal of those batteries. I don't know the answers but we are rather good at embracing a particular technology then suffering unforeseen problems.
mikeC
Megaposter

« Reply #41 on: 18 November, 2017, 07:30:20 PM »

With more renewable than coal in the UK now the "it just moves the pollution" argument isn't there as it was... 

You mean like the biomass wood pellets we are importing from Canada which produce more pollution than the coal they have replaced?

1953 Lancia Appia Series 1
1931 Austin Seven deluxe saloon
1914 Saxon Model A roadster

(previously owned Lancias: 1958 Appia Pininfarina coupe, 1987 Delta LX, 1986 Delta cabriolet, 1991 Dedra 1.8, 1993 Dedra 1.6)
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #42 on: 18 November, 2017, 10:50:08 PM »

Politically the west is moving away from oil to prevent being held to ransom, if the world goes electric where on earth do we get a freely available supply of lithium. Restriction equals taxation. Back to square one.  The biggest threat is: personal mobility, too many people, too few roads.

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
Tony Stephens

« Reply #43 on: 19 November, 2017, 06:02:11 PM »

With more renewable than coal in the UK now the "it just moves the pollution" argument isn't there as it was.  I also know more and more people who use a Tesla "like a normal car".  The range and recharge is ok for all it needs planning ahead.

I'd have an I3 or a Tesla in a heart beat - and am looking forward to electric vans, trucks, buses and everyone else in electric shopping cars for the noise and smell.  Its been great having smokey old scaff trucks off the streets and hybrid buses now the norm.

AS LONG AS WE CAN STILL USE OUR PETROL CARS AS WELL.

What worries me MUCH more is the lack of an MOT.  Makes me nervous that we'll have to follow a man with a red flag and have the route signed off six months ahead.  There's every chance that before long it will be laps of the Brooklands test track then back on the trailer.

I agreewith David particularly about future use. It was a very bad day when the Historic taxation class was introduced,as this provides a useful separation in order to restrict usage.
Current politicians insist this is not in their agenda, and - even though cynical about politicians' promises - I believe them. But what about future politicians? They will not feel bound by their predecessors' commitments.
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #44 on: 20 November, 2017, 07:01:35 PM »

As long as politicians own and use classic cars, we have nothing to worry about. That's how the system works.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd