Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 02:20:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lancia owners profile  (Read 3169 times)
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« on: 29 July, 2016, 09:04:34 AM »

Earlier I put this post in the wrong place by mistake*
When I was in my friendly local tyre fitters earlier this week in Vo having 5 new tyres on our Fulvia GTE, there were quite a few customers who wandered over to look at the car and chat.
One, a well dressed Italian man of a similar age to me - 65 years old - walked over, greeted me, inspected the car which was up in the air at waist height then simply said in Italian:
FIAT was for the workers, Alfa Romeo was for the sporty drivers (pregnant pause for effect) ...........but Lancia was for the well off drivers.
I laughed it off then thought about it on the way home and then when I told Jacky we decided that probably until the late 1960s this was actually true, certainly in Italy.
I had never really seen it quite this way before in 45 years of Lancia ownership.
Chris

*Removed it for you Wink
« Last Edit: 29 July, 2016, 11:37:10 AM by sparehead3 » Logged

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 29 July, 2016, 11:43:16 AM »

At a carnival a few years ago I was waiting in a queue for a parade and a very elderly lady asked what the car was and on saying 'Lancia' she replied 'A Lancia! Oh, we should be so lucky!' - which is echos of a similar mindset.

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 29 July, 2016, 01:52:13 PM »

When you think that up until the late 60's (possibly a bit later?) Alperton would pack an engineer off to service your car wherever you lived in Britain. Also reminds me of one of my favourite stories of when Rolls Royce bought a Flavia and dismantled it. In their report they stated that they didn't know how Lancia could sell them at the price (we all know the answer to that) and that 'Lancia is the only other serious car manufacturer in the world'. So they considered it better than, for instance. a Mercedes. The quote by the Italian gent also reminded me of something else I heard once - that you are either 'Turin or Milan (football), Ferrari or Maserati, Alfa or Lancia'. It was meant in a way that you either liked a bit of flashiness, or quiet style. I may be wrong on the teams, I heard it a long time ago.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 30 July, 2016, 07:46:03 AM »

When you think that up until the late 60's (possibly a bit later?) Alperton would pack an engineer off to service your car wherever you lived in Britain. Also reminds me of one of my favourite stories of when Rolls Royce bought a Flavia and dismantled it. In their report they stated that they didn't know how Lancia could sell them at the price (we all know the answer to that) and that 'Lancia is the only other serious car manufacturer in the world'. So they considered it better than, for instance. a Mercedes. The quote by the Italian gent also reminded me of something else I heard once - that you are either 'Turin or Milan (football), Ferrari or Maserati, Alfa or Lancia'. It was meant in a way that you either liked a bit of flashiness, or quiet style. I may be wrong on the teams, I heard it a long time ago.

It's wrong on the cars too now. So many members have modern Alphas.

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2016, 08:18:32 PM »

It's wrong on the cars too now. So many members have modern Alphas.

Neil, was that a deliberate typo.....?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 31 July, 2016, 06:54:11 AM »

No, unless it was a subconscious inability to type the A word! Almost as bad as my 'quattro' gaff.

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd