Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 04:22:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aurelia B12 incompetence  (Read 6295 times)
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« on: 24 June, 2016, 07:29:04 AM »

There's nothing like a bit of peer group pressure to make one do some of those little jobs.
 We did the 4 day Registro Aurelia Italiano Spring event based in Ravenna in our B12 a couple of weeks ago which was the first time we had done any real mileage in it since it arrived here last year. The car ran like clockwork and was very comfortable and capable certainly living up to our expectations and  on the Registro event there were a couple of other lovely B12s so it was interesting to make comparisons.
Our car would drop a couple of oil spots from the steering box output shaft seal when parked for a few hours and also our 8 day Veglia dashboard clock wouldn't function so I resolved to sort these out on our return.
I have successfully replaced steering box oil seals in situ several time before so I though I would tackle TH difficult job of the clock first. I had another non working Veglia clock in bits and I was very pleased to end up with a new looking fully functioning clock with a clear face and new hands. Now for the easy 30 minute job, the steering box.
Well, I dropped my rubber O ring needle roller bearing holders and promptly ended up with 84 needle rollers on th garage floor. Only solution is to remove the steering box from the car, fully disassemble it and rebuild inserting the worm second dealing with the eccentric output shaft bush adjustment, various shims etc along the way. This did of course give me the opportunity to replace the new else rollers,  input shaft oil seal and bearings as well but nevertheless I did feel a bit of a plonker. And the job took a lot longer than 30 mins.
I have a number of good B20 and B12 refurbed steering boxes on the bench ( if anyone wants one please contact me ) which could have saved time but I decided to stick with the original as fitted to the  car when new.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 24 June, 2016, 07:46:45 AM »

84 needle rollers on the garage floor!!! Not a good start to any job, but your perseverance, as ever, has obviously paid off. How excellent for you to know that you still have the original steering box on the car and did not take the easy exchange route.

.... and Frank, take note of the '... comfortable and capable certainly living up to our expectations ...'. That must be a huge incentive for you to push on with your car!! Indeed, it has given me a good nudge!!!

Andy
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2016, 08:24:39 AM »

Yes, my engine is still moving along, a few hiccups and frustrating issues, but all being overcome one by one.

Great you're enjoying the B12 Chris....!

Frank Gallagher
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 24 June, 2016, 08:35:20 AM »

I find that the problem is not dropping 84 needle rollers, I can do that very easily - the problem lies in finding 84 afterwards

Does the steering feel any better ?

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2016, 10:21:48 AM »

You have my sympathy. I did something along these lines over Christmas when I decided to tackle getting the horrible engine destroying mesh out of my Fulvia oil filler. Opening it, cleaning, closing, painting, all went smoothly. When I was replacing it, trying to find a comfortable way to hold it and bolt it back on, I somehow dropped one of the nuts down the oil filler tube. Plucking up the courage to look, I found it sitting precariously down the tube. The rest of the operation was like bomb disposal. I shut the bonnet very, very gently not even daring to clip the bonnet stay in place (couldn't shut the garage door unless the bonnet was closed). Then late on a Saturday went off to buy a long bendy magnetic thing. Next morning, after nerve-steadying cups of tea and practicing about 100 times on the remaining nut at all different angles, I heard a reassuring thud as it attached to the magnet. A very slow and steady extraction and I was back in business. Still makes me break out in a cold sweat.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
Sebastien
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 24 June, 2016, 10:45:56 AM »

Yes, Berlinas were well represented this year at the registro meeting. And it was nice to see Chris enjoying for the first time berlina comfort and quality.
I managed to get all three B12s on one picture, with one B10 (of two present) to keep company.

* IMG_1864.jpg (731.76 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 424 times.)
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 24 June, 2016, 03:37:25 PM »

The steering feels just the same.........but no drips and I feel better about the steering having had it all apart myself. The needle rollers had no pitting or corrosion under the microscope but I still fitted new ones and the same applied to the ball races on the input shaft.
I took the opportunity to also fit a pair of new front rectangularish foglights with the correct silver painted yellow bulbs and I also fitted a pair of original B20 Magneti Marelli ' snail horns ' which are very loud but sound very imposing. The correct Trico vacuum operated washers and reservoir are now fitted with correct looking small bore black rubber hose so my list of todo jobs on this car is very short now.
Chris

Chris Gawne
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 06 July, 2016, 07:48:17 AM »

After the Registro trip I decided that the rear pot joints, drive shafts, ujs and wheel bearings needed some investigation especially the lhs as there was some noise and free play so at the end of last week I bit the bullet.
I replaced all of the needle rollers in both pot joints and reshimmed them, replaced one inner cage which was worn and fitted new rubbers. I also changed one outer drive shaft as the splines were worn, both drive shaft couplings as I had new ones and one outer uj due to wear and end float.Fortunately both rear wheel bearings seem to be fine.
The net result is a total absence of any noise when driving or going round roundabouts etc which makes the car even quieter. It has all its original factory fitted sound proofing as well as extra on the boot floor so when idling for example, its not easy to know whether the engine is running without looking at the oil pressure gauge and when Jacky drives it now she says it feels very much like a new much more modern car.
Today I am fitting new shiny chrome handles on the boot as the originals have lost their plating and then my list of jobs is nearly at the end..........and is likely to remain untouched now until the end of the summer so we can just enjoy driving it.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 06 July, 2016, 08:18:48 AM »

Chris, thanks for another update, however I think you need to change the thread title and loose the "in" of the incompetence word!

I'd love photos though, wishing you many more safe and enjoyable miles

P

Frank Gallagher
Sebastien
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 06 July, 2016, 03:53:27 PM »

Chris,
Complimenti!
as the italians say.
Beautiful work! Those small but important mechanical details make all the difference between a so-so car, and a car you are happy to drive any distance with pleasure. I hope to see you soon in it  Wink
Aureliaman

« Reply #10 on: 12 July, 2016, 07:45:21 PM »

Great to hear that you've got your B12 (nearly) sorted Chris!

Thanks to you I now have squeal-less brakes and am slowly moving forward with my Aurelia's other little jobs!!

Many thanks for your continuing snippits of priceless (old) Lancia wisdom

Mike Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd