Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:43:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More stats  (Read 2575 times)
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« on: 16 June, 2016, 08:54:38 PM »

From time to time I check out the "more stats" page on the forum, usually to remind me how much time I should NOT be spending here .....

One of the more interesting sections is the Forum History, because I think this gives a real idea as to to "how alive" the forum is. Plus it makes me wonder why some months we have as may as 900 topics and other months as few as 260. It shows up anomalies - why did we get nearly 3000 new members in March/April 3013 ?

It is difficult to see change/anomolies with lists of figures, and this will get more difficult as we add data - could we represent this section in graph form instead ?

Whilst on this subject, "the topics by views" is very heavily influenced by a couple of topics that makes the rest of the list irrelevant to most of us. Is it possible to show "trending" instead ? IE to demonstrate some sort of change in the way we are looking at things, rather than absolute numbers ?

Please note that these are not criticisms, especially since I have no idea as to what it takes to produce these stats in the first place, just ideas for "enhancements" !

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 16 June, 2016, 10:25:10 PM »

Clearly stats are living up to their reputation of being worse than demned lies. (3000 members......)

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 17 June, 2016, 10:58:49 AM »

Hi Simon

The stats are collected by the Forum software , they're not something we have written and it's not something we can change - if you look for "SMF statistics collection" on Google that would give you all the technical detail I'm sure ( I've not looked Smiley )

The Topic views are skewed because some areas are public which means that search engines will look at them. So if you were to put Lancia Stratos for Sale then this will ( probably )  be viewed lots of times because it's something searched for a lot on Google and Google reads our forum*

As for the 3,000 new members, this may be back when we stopped online registration and went to people emailing form admin - we were suffering from a lot of automated registrations that were having to be cancelled. Going to emails meant that only real people were likely to do this ( and this works fine - you see us announcing new members ).

Looking at the number of posts, it may be that more happens on the forum in winter that in the summer months - or did I just have a quick look and jump to conclusions Smiley - I also had a look a Trending - but can't see anything so I think that is a no-go.

*Apologies to anyone not from the LMC who has just been directed here by Google who was looking to buy this model of  car ...

I've done a similar thing with a spreadsheet containing members by region by join/leave date so that it's easy to see how the membership has altered over time at a very granular level - this too suffers a large spike in 1990 and this is because the original computer system gave a membership start date of 1990 and not their actual start date Smiley

For anyone who hasn't looked at the stats page , it's here http://www.lancia.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=stats
« Last Edit: 17 June, 2016, 11:04:47 AM by sparehead3 » Logged

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 17 June, 2016, 07:28:49 PM »

Thanks Steve

I shall continue to use the stats to remind me how many other things I should be doing instead of posting on the forum (only joking !)

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 20 June, 2016, 08:57:36 AM »

How do I get into the Members Database? My LMC site password doesn't work for it.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd