Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:46:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Indicator switch - series 1 flaminia  (Read 6777 times)
dannels
Megaposter

« on: 19 January, 2016, 07:08:17 PM »

Hi all - fishing for advice...

My indicators work correctly if I hold the switch in position but it won't stay there on its own. Does anyone know if this is a problem with the switch or likely to be related to the mechanism at the base of the steering column?

Does anyone have expertise in fixing either??

All help appreciated as its a right pain to live with!

Cheers
Dave

1961 Flaminia GT, 1966 Matra Djet V
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2016, 10:18:50 PM »

This sounds like a similar problem as that being discussed in a Flavia thread (though possibly relating to a Fulvia).

Weak springs holding it in the switched on position is the current diagnosis.

dannels
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 20 January, 2016, 10:17:49 AM »

I'm not sure the switch is the same - it's similar to the Aurelia or Appia switch

It looks like a small electro magnet...

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 20 January, 2016, 11:52:33 AM »

I'm not sure the switch is the same - it's similar to the Aurelia or Appia switch

It looks like a small electro magnet...

Have you got a photo Dave, by the way have you seen the shot of the rear end of your Flaminia on the Stony Stratford new years event page?
I saw your car but you wasn't about.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
dannels
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 20 January, 2016, 12:42:44 PM »

Thanks Brian I wasn't aware of the Stony Stratford photos - yes thats my Flaminia.

I don't have a great image of the switch in question - but you can see it here - the indicator is the white plastic see through switch on the dash to the right of the taco

* Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 12.39.07.png (1238.37 KB, 980x676 - viewed 490 times.)

Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 20 January, 2016, 01:24:42 PM »

Hi Dave

Yours is very different to mine, mine is a long slender chrome stick. From memory mine has a definite ‘click’ and up and down rather than a ‘stick’ a magnet would produce, also I can’t remember if it’s self-setting. Any how I will take a look at the weekend.

Although saying that I have fixed many a toggle and other switches by stripping down and giving a good clean, but be careful of the those teeny weeny bits.

Looks like you should start reversing into car spaces.       

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
dannels
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 20 January, 2016, 06:49:54 PM »

Hi Jay - Yes - yours is the later type of indicator switch. I have a separate headlamp main beam switch that I believe is a button on the end of yours. I was able to strip and clean this dip switch as its a more traditional design (with a spring)

This is a whole different affair. Will get some pics behind the dash and all will be clear. I looks very much like an electro magnet...but I'm no expert in elastic trickery - hence the post. Perhaps there's a good reason Lancia changed the design!!!

Haha - yes I did rather dump the car at stony - really needed caffeine - it was early New Year's Day and I'd just had a 40 min drive.... Life begins after coffee!

Cheers
Dave

dannels
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 20 January, 2016, 07:05:36 PM »

OK - found a better image on the web - here are a pair of switches with the cancelling mechanism that sits at the base of the steering column.

Has anyone got any experience of these?

* Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 19.03.04.png (1081.53 KB, 1052x780 - viewed 548 times.)

frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 20 January, 2016, 07:27:54 PM »

Woah! That's a whole different ball game to the column mounted stalk on the Pinninfarina models. I really good blast through with aerosol carb cleaner or brake and clutch cleaner would be a good start as they dissolve gunk and leave no oily residue. After that I guess checking through all the circuits is the order of the day. Does the wiring diagram give any idea of how the electrics work?
Brian Long

Aurelia B12, Flavia 2000 Coupe

« Reply #9 on: 25 March, 2016, 11:22:18 AM »

Not sure if you have sorted out your problem but hope the following helps.
Your switch is similar to that used one early series Aurelias. Have just stripped and reassembled one this week. Basically, it has two sliding blocks inside it. Each has a metal cap on their outer end. They are spring loaded to return to centre position. When the trigger is moved to left or right, the associated block is latched magnetically at the end of its travel.
Each block has two spring loaded triangular contact 'plates'. One plate energises the magnetic holding coil via the trip switch on the steering column. The other energises the terminals for the front and rear turn indicating lamps.
The trip switch deenergises the holding coil and allows the spring to return the contact block to the centre position.
If you undo the cover held in place with one screw, you will find the globe holder which illuminates the trigger.
Beware if you undo the other cover with the three screws because the whole lot will tend to come apart leaving you with the intricate puzzle of reassembly!
The later switches had a long stalk. This was latched in the turn position by the moving portion of a relay, one for RH and the other for LH. The latching action could be manually overridden. Otherwise, the relay would be deenergised by the switch on the lower end of the steering column as the column rotated back to the straight ahead position.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
Brian.

dannels
Megaposter

« Reply #10 on: 21 May, 2016, 03:29:54 PM »

I think this forum has magic powers. I'd finally set aside some time to pull the switch apart when for the first time in 7 years they started functioning perfectly!

Not complaining - I guess it just took some use to get them working....

frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 21 May, 2016, 06:24:02 PM »

I think you will find this often happens. If you don't give enough attention to your Lancia it will sulk and trick you into giving it the attention it deserves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd