Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 07:29:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 4224 times)
Andrew2015

« on: 21 May, 2016, 09:52:38 PM »

Hello, I wonder if anyone is able to offer me some friendly advice please regarding the following? I have been hunting for a Fulvia and have recently viewed a an early 1.3 S1 car with a higher mileage (circa 90K), although I guess given the cars age (nearly 50 years) then probably not that unusual. The particular car had an engine rebuild circa 25 years ago at around 60K and from all the paperwork appears to have been well looked after since then. Bodywork / subframes / brakes / gearbox etc all look to be sound so it is really only the engine that I have a question mark over.

On driving the car I didn't pick up on any odd noises knocks or rumbles although it was a bit smoky on first starting up. Oil pressure however was good (mid-gauge). Being new to Lancia's, I have no idea on how much longer an engine of this age would ordinarily soldier on for before next needing serious attention? Should I even be concerned about the higher mileage (given the car looks to have been cherished and used, not left standing)?

I know it is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question and the answer may well be 'it depends on how well it has been treated / maintained', but any advice that can be offered would be very much appreciated. Many thanks. Andrew
P.S. - apologies in advance if this has been posted in the wrong area of the forum site.
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2016, 06:58:12 AM »

All Lancia engines are very robust. As you say 90K isn't a lot over 50 years! I'm surprised that the engine needed major attention at 60K, but perhaps it had a hard life in its early days. Oils have also improved in the last 25 years.

If the car is spot on body, brakes and subframe wise, I wouldn't be put off by that mileage.

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2016, 08:40:54 AM »

If oil pressure is mid gauge at 3000 rpm when hot then all is well at the bottom end.   A bit smoky at the start could well just be down to the rich mixture from the starting carburettors.  It should rev. freely to 6,000+ rpm (on the right fuel!) without rattling.  30k after an engine rebuild is nothing really, it sounds like a good buy!   If the worst came to the worst it is not a difficult engine to rebuild but I would not anticipate it needing that for a good many years.   Use at least 96 octane fuel with lead substitute additive as the 1300 engine has non hardened valve seats.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Andrew2015

« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2016, 07:03:09 PM »

Hello David / Neil, Many thanks for your responses, advice and help which are very much appreciated. I will be giving the car serious consideration with this in mind. Kindest regards, Andrew
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2016, 11:40:31 AM »

I've been driving my 1.3 for 22 years (including 4 years sprinting and hillclimbing) without a rebuild. I change the oil and filter every 3500 miles. I don't drive it hard until all the temperatures are up. I also push the choke in almost immediately. It's still showing normal oil pressure. Be aware that when hot the oil pressure needle does hover near zero. That would scare a lot of people if they wasn't aware of it. Treated properly they are pretty bulletproof.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
rogerelias
Rebel Poster

MY 1600HF IN HEARTBEAT GARAGE

« Reply #5 on: 24 May, 2016, 07:20:57 PM »

My 1600HF has just clicked over to 98,000 on the way back from the GNW Roll Eyes and I drive it fairly hard , seems to ok, not been rebuilt to my knowledge, so I wouldn't worry too much, as others have said. Just enjoy it, they are fun to drive  Grin

FULVIA 1600HF LUSSO
1958 VELOCETTE MAC
Triumph Bonneville t120v 1972
1968 MGC ROADSTER
1958 Series 2 Appia berlina
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 25 May, 2016, 08:27:00 AM »

Just realised - when I said the oil pressure needle hovers around zero when hot I should have made clear that this is at idling speed only - not at driving speeds. 

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
Andrew2015

« Reply #7 on: 25 May, 2016, 08:36:24 PM »

Hello Roger / Stanley, Many thanks for taking the time to post some advice - Looks like I need not be overly concerned and as you say just enjoy the car (which I now intend to go ahead with assuming a deal can be struck) - Will let you know if I end up the proud owner and thanks to all again for the help. Best wishes Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd