Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 11:27:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lancia Belna engine removal/overhaul  (Read 7036 times)
Dikappa
Megaposter

« on: 15 May, 2016, 08:04:16 AM »

As Belna's are quite new to me, and we are now attacking a friends Belna that did not reach the last european Sliding Pillar due to engine failure, could use some advise:

What is the best way to remove the engine?  Does it come out together with the gearbox or can it come out separate?
Is there any data on the engine measurements available, I've the 'revue technique' on the Lancia Belna, which gives some information, but not much.

I already found the engine has been converted to modern shell bearings in the past.

Thanks for any advise,

Koen
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2016, 09:11:09 AM »

It's much easier to remove the engine and gearbox together, after removing the head. It all comes out forwards and tilted when the radiator is removed. In what way did it fail?
Regards, John
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2016, 04:38:43 PM »

I it has a big end bearing failure on the second cylinder (when counting from the nose of the crankshaft)
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2016, 06:54:55 PM »

I it has a big end bearing failure on the second cylinder (when counting from the nose of the crankshaft)

That's No. 1 cylinder as Lancia named them, being the front one on the near side. How did you determine that a bearing has failed?
Regards, John
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2016, 06:20:06 AM »

I already removed the side covers with the engin in situ and could feel by hand that the big end had play, I then removed the cap.
Hopefully will get the engine out today, will post some pictures then.

@john: thanks for the concern and the advise!
brian
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2016, 12:17:22 PM »

Agree with John although with a flat radiator Augusta the head can stay on. There were bits of information about the engine in an LMC Journal - I think 1974 - which together with a handbook was all I had in the 70s to get mine together. There is much more help around now on the forum so just ask!
Brian

Brian Hands

1922 Hands Tourer
1934 Augusta standard saloon
1938 Aprilia S1 saloon
1953 Aurelia B10
1965 Flavia Sport
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2016, 02:52:01 PM »

Engine is out.

In the end I decided, having the luxury of the car being on a 2 post lift, to first remove the gearbox seperately from underneath, which made it then a very simple job lifting the engine straight out.
As I was working alone I thought this was the most secure way of doing the job without damaging the body work accidently when lifting and tilting the complete engine gearbox assy out.

It took me 3.5 hours.

I'll now have a chat with the engine shop man to know how he would like to ahndle the job, and how much I can still do myself.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 16 May, 2016, 09:47:29 PM »

I seem to recollect that the first time the engine came out of mine I left the gearbox in the car. I then lifted the engine out, by hand, with my brother, accompanied by much cursing! On the second occasion, being a lone worker, I placed a trolley under the sump, disconnected all the control cables, wires, gearlever etc etc and lifted the car off the engine. I then wheeled the engine out from under the car and lowered the car back onto its wheels .... quite simple really.

Andy

PS should you be interested, the same MO may be used to remove an electric motor from a Southend pier train carriage. I did this, again lone working, in the middle of a field in N Wales. More difficult than with the Gussie .... a driven carriage for a Southend pier train weighs 6 tons!
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 16 May, 2016, 11:21:33 PM »

I seem to recollect that the first time the engine came out of mine I left the gearbox in the car. I then lifted the engine out, by hand, with my brother, accompanied by much cursing! On the second occasion, being a lone worker, I placed a trolley under the sump, disconnected all the control cables, wires, gearlever etc etc and lifted the car off the engine. I then wheeled the engine out from under the car and lowered the car back onto its wheels .... quite simple really.

Andy

PS should you be interested, the same MO may be used to remove an electric motor from a Southend pier train carriage. I did this, again lone working, in the middle of a field in N Wales. More difficult than with the Gussie .... a driven carriage for a Southend pier train weighs 6 tons!
The Varied skills and interests of Lancisti never cease to amaze me, tell us more Andy Grin

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2016, 08:43:00 AM »

Routine way to take engine/gearbox/subframe from a Fulvia of course.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #10 on: 23 May, 2016, 10:23:46 AM »

Hi Andy

Most intrigued, Southend Pier carriage ends up in North Wales, you do need to explain more I think......

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 23 May, 2016, 10:26:28 AM »

Routine way to take engine/gearbox/subframe from a Fulvia of course.
David I was referring to the Southend Pier Carriage Motor Removal.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 23 May, 2016, 08:10:40 PM »

I think it is probably best that I post a response re the pier train in the 'Other Non-Lancia Models' section.

Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd