Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 08:36:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Value of an engine  (Read 6940 times)
andyps
Megaposter

« on: 28 April, 2016, 10:10:09 PM »

Apologies in advance if I have posted this in the wrong place but I couldn't see anywhere more appropraite.

I was talking to someone today who mentioned that he has a 1.3 engine from a Series 2 Coupe for sale, it was dismantled a long time ago for no specific reason but is all there apparently. He said he wants to sell it but doesn't know how much it is worth. I am interested in buying it but have no real idea of value - any thoughts from anyone?
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2016, 07:24:55 AM »

£200?

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2016, 09:51:21 PM »

Thanks! That actually is what I had thought, but there are very few for sale so difficult to gauge.
roddy

« Reply #3 on: 30 April, 2016, 03:32:22 PM »

Hello Andy.  I wonder why someone might dismantle an engine for no good reason?  Anyway, one thing to specifically check on is that the "oiler nozzle" is present and correct. When removing the head or fitting a timing chain, the inexperienced can easily allow the chain to drop into the timing chest, and in attempting to retrieve it, sheer the nozzle off the crankcase.  Its purpose is to supply oil to the skew gears driving the shaft to the oil pump at one end and the petrol pump at the other.  To check, look down the front of the block/crankcase and you will see it sticking out about 1", above the crankshaft, with the very end pointing downwards slightly.  If it is not there or looks damaged, I would suggest you walk away.

Regards - Roddy

Roddy Young
Dunfermline, Fife

1970 Fulvia Sport S1 1.3S
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 30 April, 2016, 04:12:59 PM »

Thanks Roddy, that is really helpful.
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2016, 08:53:21 AM »

Just out of curiosity I wonder what the suggested repair is for that nozzle if it is broken, these days?
A long time ago people didn't seem too troubled by it (and many were missing/broken) on the basis a lot of oil was splashing around there, but is it possible to change it with a replacement?
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 01 May, 2016, 09:52:24 AM »

Oil may be splashing, but oil pressure is reduced. Some people have blanked off the broken oil spout.

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 01 May, 2016, 01:43:23 PM »

Just out of curiosity I wonder what the suggested repair is for that nozzle if it is broken, these days?
A long time ago people didn't seem too troubled by it (and many were missing/broken) on the basis a lot of oil was splashing around there, but is it possible to change it with a replacement?
I have bought these recently from Omicron and have fitted reasonably easily once you get to that part of the engine. Both to replace the self tapper that was fitted aeons ago by others....

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 01 May, 2016, 04:42:02 PM »

Hello Andy.  I wonder why someone might dismantle an engine for no good reason?  Anyway, one thing to specifically check on is that the "oiler nozzle" is present and correct. When removing the head or fitting a timing chain, the inexperienced can easily allow the chain to drop into the timing chest, and in attempting to retrieve it, sheer the nozzle off the crankcase.  Its purpose is to supply oil to the skew gears driving the shaft to the oil pump at one end and the petrol pump at the other.  To check, look down the front of the block/crankcase and you will see it sticking out about 1", above the crankshaft, with the very end pointing downwards slightly.  If it is not there or looks damaged, I would suggest you walk away.

Regards - Roddy
... or blocked off as it is really of little use!

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 04 May, 2016, 12:01:26 PM »

Recently unsold on e-bay at £200 if this of any assistance.

Lancia Fulvia  1300 Rallye Engine and 5 speed Gearbox. Dry stored for many years, turns, missing some minor components. Not known if running when removed .

Rallye 1.3 (Tipo 818.330/331): 1967–68. An updated coupé with the 818.302 1,298 cc engine with 87 hp (65 kW) at 6,000 rpm.

No connection on seller.
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 04 May, 2016, 12:04:10 PM »

I've never checked mine. Is there a big drop in oil pressure if it's broken? Mine does the Fulvia thing of high when cold and hovering around zero when hot and idling, If it's a vital piece why is blanking it off a solution? Or isn't it?

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #11 on: 04 May, 2016, 12:42:36 PM »

Recently unsold on e-bay at £200 if this of any assistance.

Lancia Fulvia  1300 Rallye Engine and 5 speed Gearbox. Dry stored for many years, turns, missing some minor components. Not known if running when removed .

Rallye 1.3 (Tipo 818.330/331): 1967–68. An updated coupé with the 818.302 1,298 cc engine with 87 hp (65 kW) at 6,000 rpm.

No connection on seller.

Thanks for that, really helpful.
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 04 May, 2016, 01:16:23 PM »

I've never checked mine. Is there a big drop in oil pressure if it's broken? Mine does the Fulvia thing of high when cold and hovering around zero when hot and idling, If it's a vital piece why is blanking it off a solution? Or isn't it?
Yes, it makes a big difference say Omicron.      Pressure should be 1/3 to 1/2 when hot at speed I am told.  Around zero at tickover is fine though, pretty well all cars will do that. After I blocked mine off oil pressure reading was still low but a new sensor fixed that!    On the other hand, my 1300 coupe had low oil pressure and a rattly bottom end both of which were cured by an engine rebuild (and I cannot remember now whether I treated ti to a new spout or blocked it off).

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 04 May, 2016, 02:32:27 PM »

At normal cruising speeds mine sits around half so I'll assume my nozzle is still there!

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd