Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:58:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sport window trim  (Read 5654 times)
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« on: 01 March, 2016, 08:34:41 PM »

I wonder if anybody has any tips on how to refit the polished alloy trim that goes around the bottom of the rear window on my Zagato.

I tried at first to refit the complete unit, ie glass plus rubber plus trim, because that was how they came out but gave up as it just seemed too tight so I then removed the trim from the rubber which eased the fit slightly so that I was able to refit it too the car.
Now however the trim is very reluctant to go back. It has a rib at the back which should push into a groove in the rubber. Starting at the top/rear it can be pressed in for about a third of the way along but then the groove in the rubber seems to close up and pushing harder risks bending the alloy strip in addition to which it starts to pop out again at the end where one started!

Does anyone have a recommendation for an appropriate lubricant-----I have been using a silicon spray.

Any suggestions greatfully received.

* Fulvia Sport side windows 003.JPG (740.88 KB, 2016x1512 - viewed 328 times.)
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 01 March, 2016, 08:42:51 PM »

As far as I can get!!

* Fulvia Sport side windows 004.JPG (754.65 KB, 2016x1512 - viewed 343 times.)
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2016, 10:46:20 PM »

2 strong folk, nylon strimmer cords and assemble complete , one person showing the glass/ chrome assy and the other on the cord flipping the rubber seal inside and oh dont forget loads of black gooey windscreen sealant to make areal mess of the headlining.....

I took about 10 goes until perfecting the brute force method above....

Good luck

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Dave Gee
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2016, 03:20:36 PM »

Ben
When I fitted my side windows in the sport, it took 2 of us, as Tim says. The whole assembly needs to be put together first and one person pushing from the outside, with a cord on the inside. I didn't put any sealant on mine because of the mess it makes, and haven't had any problems. I used a mixture of water and detergent as a lubricant to help it go on. You might already know this, but the thing to remember when pulling the string on the inside is to work it in a circular motion. That way it tends to lift the rubber, and not cut it as it can do if you do a straight pull on it. It takes more time but makes a better finish.
Dave
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 02 March, 2016, 03:53:57 PM »

I suppose I was wanting to minimise the natural rust trap in this window recess hence advising on sealant. My sport had to have a bit of a repair in my early ownership during its (third) restoration, and as I wanted to use the car in all weathers I thought it was prudent. In 10 years I have done c 20000 miles. The previous owner did 100,000 miles in the previous 10 years. All in all this car has done nearly 200,000 miles but a lot has been replaced along the way..... including those rear seals...

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 09 March, 2016, 03:29:40 PM »

Thanks for the advice Tim and Dave.
I finally got both windows back in yesterday using the black goo treatment---I don't have any headlining to worry about at the moment----another job I am not looking forward to.
The amount of brute force was a bit scary---involving clamps!
The trim strip that I had previously removed was a bit distorted and took some tricky bending back to the correct profile and just would not stay in place when I was refitting the assembly until I glued it back in to the rubber.

Decided to cheer myself up by giving the engine a run during the window saga only to be beset by failure again.   No sparks!   Decided to take out the points to give them a good polish. I cannot believe how bad the access is. And if the distributor is removed from the engine, which seems the only way to do the job properly, then it has to be re-timed when refitted. I now have another special tool in my kit---a 13mm spanner modified especially for the distributor mounting clamp bolt.
I am sure those of you who have been down this road will be empathising over the joys of Lancia owner maintenance.

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 09 March, 2016, 04:29:57 PM »

Hi Ben,
I sympathise with you all the way!
If you don't turn the engine over and mark the distributor and the base with a thin line of paint, then note, or even take a photo of the rotor arm position when removed,then surely there's no need to retime Huh?

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 10 March, 2016, 03:19:25 PM »

Is this a side opening bonnet? Would it be easier to unbolt the bonnet until all engine fettling is finished? The Zagato I had luckily had a lift off ally bonnet and I must admit I have never quite understood the thinking behind the sideways design. Even changing the oil filter must be difficult.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 10 March, 2016, 11:39:58 PM »

I appreciate what you say Brian about not needing to retime if there are reference marks to work to when the distributor is refitted but the timing is affected by the points gap setting so I do like to check it after the points have been attended to.

And my bonnet is hinged at the front, though not actually fitted at all at the moment. I think I would agree that the side hinged type would add further unwelcome inconvenience.

Still we Lancia fettlers like a challenge don't we!! 
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 11 March, 2016, 11:57:33 AM »

You could always fit an optical/electronic ignition and obviate the troubles of points altogether!

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 13 March, 2016, 05:50:54 PM »

You could always fit an optical/electronic ignition and obviate the troubles of points altogether!

Or even a simple set up only using the points as a switch, mine works perfectly and I've had the same points in without any adjustment for about 10 years.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd