Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 06:32:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Klonk  (Read 7003 times)
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« on: 18 February, 2016, 03:38:08 PM »

There has been, for some time, a clonk in the right rear suspension which I am entirely unable to locate.    The only abnormality I can find is some deterioration in the front spring suspension bush 49603 but what is it made of, rubber??  and where would I find a new one?

* Rearspring.jpg (82.94 KB, 530x768 - viewed 566 times.)
« Last Edit: 18 February, 2016, 03:45:22 PM by davidwheeler » Logged

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 18 February, 2016, 03:51:11 PM »

David, you can see on Tav19a it's a Silentbloc bush. So it will have rubber in it. If you can supply the metal bits, Hills Rubber Company in Reading will be able to put the rubber in. Or try Cavalitto?
Regards, John
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 18 February, 2016, 03:56:46 PM »

Or you could try this company (catalogue link below) who've supplied bushes for the Aurelia, the.cern (Andy) kindly pointed me in this direction.

http://www.robush.co.uk/pdf/1519%20Robush.pdf

P

Frank Gallagher
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 18 February, 2016, 04:08:06 PM »

The only way you are really going to find out is by taking the tension off of the spring.
I would have thought it was quite likely to be the trailing arm bearing, 48307

* Aprilia Tav 21a.jpg (131.82 KB, 653x937 - viewed 368 times.)

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
BlueSky
Lapsed

« Reply #4 on: 18 February, 2016, 04:12:57 PM »

If the "klonk" is mainly on the right side I'd suspect the shock absorber, you could test it by removing the mounting bolt from the trailing arm and giving the car a run. Cavalitto do have all the silentblocs for the rear end if you need them.
Noel

1937 1st series Aprilia Berlina
Nissan X-Trail T31 TS
1920 P & M 3 1/2hp {FOR SALE}
John Deere LX188
www.narrywoolan.com.au/home
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 18 February, 2016, 04:22:55 PM »

If you decide it is the silent block, Robush have them (fitted them on my car) and they weren't expensive - £7 each or something like that - I think I referenced it on the "Aprilia Diary" a couple of years ago

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 18 February, 2016, 04:50:05 PM »

I have found that Robush use a less flexible rubber than Mr Lancia used to use, so they are not as good as the originals for steering applications, but they would probably be OK in this case.
Regards, John
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 19 February, 2016, 12:33:37 PM »

Definitely not the shock absorber.     The trailing arm bearing is a possibility though.   But first, the silentbloc as it is soaked in oil from the final drive and is clearly eccentric!

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 19 February, 2016, 05:56:47 PM »

When does it Klonk most? is it on a trailing throttle? If it is, then this is when you are more likely to get the noise from a worn trailing arm bearing.

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 19 February, 2016, 06:59:01 PM »

Definitely not the shock absorber.     The trailing arm bearing is a possibility though.   But first, the silentbloc as it is soaked in oil from the final drive and is clearly eccentric!

'Clearly eccentric' ... surely that is normal status for members of the LMC. Astute and discerning are also appropriate adjectives, but eccentric is a must!!!!

Andy
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #10 on: 19 February, 2016, 08:11:42 PM »

Hi David
            The silent-blocks in the middle of the spring are a most unlikely source for your noise because they are under constant load and the load is always in the same direction.  Those on my car are also oil soaked and distorted but they don't clunk.

My bet would be the trailing arm bearing as Ade suggests which would allow fore and aft movement between driving and coast or over-run but it does probably require releasing the spring load to check.

I had one occasion when clunking occurred due to failure of the rubber in the silent block bush that locates the inboard end of the tube around the torsion bar (49607)on one side.I effected an emergency repair by sliding in a bit of split plastic tubing.

The above suggestions pre-suppose you have eliminated the more common causes such as drive shaft splines or UJ.s or worn or loose wheel bearings.   

Ben
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 20 February, 2016, 09:42:55 AM »

It is actually when going over bumps.   The clutch is awful and also induces the clonk when juddering violently but other wise it does not matter if it is pulling or on the overrun or transiting between the two so I suspect the trailing arm bearing may be the culprit.   It is certainly not drive shaft or wheel bearing.   It actually sounds as if there is a loose can in the boot but there isn't!    It really ought to be shock absorber but it is not that either.      Don't have access to the pit at the moment so I shall continue to drive Aprilia as it is my only car on the road (apart from Sheila the Lambda tourer and she only comes out if the sun is shining - which ain't often at the moment!)

* IMG_0023 (Copy).JPG (159.65 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 397 times.)
« Last Edit: 22 February, 2016, 10:05:54 AM by davidwheeler » Logged

the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 20 February, 2016, 11:17:45 AM »

Idyllic!!! Cold, but idyllic!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd