Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 12:22:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Personal Imports  (Read 17222 times)
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #45 on: 15 June, 2014, 11:04:26 PM »

The problem I had was that I couldn't book a return trip from the Continent unless I took a car both ways, I even offered to pay for a car both ways but only bring one back, but they wouldn't wear that either. as I'd flown out to collect my Elephantino from Rotterdam and drive it back, I had to book the ferry when I got to Calais, I couldn't use the French Ferry website to book a single (cheaper) trip back from Calais as you must have a French Address to book on their French site.
Needless to say it cost an arm and a leg in comparison to a complete round trip with a car from the UK.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #46 on: 16 June, 2014, 06:58:05 AM »

Eurotunnel let you book either way a single trip, I do it all the time when we go to France as never 100% know when I will be returning. Admittedly not as cheap as the ferries normally, but on single trip maybe? (We use their frequent traveller 10 trip package which has fixed pricing per trip, so not sure of pricing for a one off)

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #47 on: 16 June, 2014, 08:01:10 AM »

Hi Peter, this is a requirement of the breakdown insurance or even insuring a car not registered in your name, the trip has to start and end in UK.

This is for Simon, as regards the insurance guy you know, can he insure an Italian car temporarily for a trip through 3 countries for 3/4 days? I have a French address in my name.

P

Frank Gallagher
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #48 on: 16 June, 2014, 11:29:14 AM »

Hi Peter, this is a requirement of the breakdown insurance or even insuring a car not registered in your name, the trip has to start and end in UK.

P

I understand the start and end in UK, I assumed that so long as the trip does not normally last more than 30 days and with a limit to total days outside UK over the calendar year, the cover is fine, not that you had to book an out and return at the same time.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #49 on: 17 June, 2014, 11:11:11 PM »

http://www.aci.it/i-servizi/guide-utili/guida-pratiche-auto/esportazione.html

Still negotiating.........biggest issue is the car being exported and being de-registered, issued with temporary export plates /insurance for a Berlusconi-eque amount of money!

I will read the above link when I'm awake!

P

Frank Gallagher
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd