Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:14:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gear stick replacement  (Read 5247 times)
brian
Megaposter

« on: 03 October, 2015, 05:31:08 PM »

Saga of speedometer - Chapter 31.
Got engine and gearbox unit back in car but in putting the gearstick back in, the collar was stuck, a gentle clout moved it but also moved the box into a gear of some sort! I now have no feeling of a gate, stick wobbles anywhere and am unable to engage any gear. I peer in the top and cannot see the rods with the gaps that I expected. Do I have to take the box out of the car to take the top off to get them in line? Also looking at the gearstick could I not just unscrew the shaft, get the inner bent selector rod in place and then screw the stick back on? It was the weight and length that destabilised me as well on attempt 1.

I hope to have the car back on the road in 2017 at this rate..........

I will be putting on the S/S exhaust that Chugga had made so I do have a rear box and exhaust that does look like a S/S one and it is intact so if anybody would like it just let me know. I also have a sound mild steel front pipe that would be fine for a year or two I would reckon. Ditto.

Brian Hands

1922 Hands Tourer
1934 Augusta standard saloon
1938 Aprilia S1 saloon
1953 Aurelia B10
1965 Flavia Sport
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 03 October, 2015, 08:07:19 PM »

If its not one thing then its another...and any of this beats watching the goggle box Smiley

David Laver, Lewisham.
Tony Stephens

« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2015, 08:07:11 AM »

Well known Aprilia moment, I believe. Gearbox out again and remove top is the only solution I have heard.
But others more expert than me may offer a solution
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2015, 11:25:22 AM »

We managed to get the top off the box once, but not without damaging the tunnel. Sorry but best to take the gearbox (plus engine) out I think.

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 05 October, 2015, 09:46:14 AM »

I am almost certain I faced a similar problem a couple of years ago (I have too many cars!) and managed it without removing the box (in my case that involves taking out the engine).  A mechanics endoscope (i.e.a thin telescope with a light) would make it much easier (Aldi sold an electronic one a year or so ago so they exist).  Theoretically it is certainly possible when you have removed the entire gearstick.  I would suggest having a long look before you give up!

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 05 October, 2015, 12:21:48 PM »

Whichever way you dig yourself out of the hole, when replacing the gearstick, do first unscrew the stick from the bit at the bottom and fit that first - this obviates the Original Cause of the problem.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
brian
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 09 October, 2015, 01:49:24 PM »

Paul Atkinson and I did the deed this morning - engine/gearbox out, top off the gearbox, rods aligned, good light and 2nd person looking for "centrality" or whatever the word should be as both lowered top back. This bit easiest with stick on ball as collar tightened down as more control. Stick removed and engine and gearbox back into car. 2hrs with coffee!
Bits and bobs to be reconnected and mobile again soon.
Thanks for all help.

Brian Hands

1922 Hands Tourer
1934 Augusta standard saloon
1938 Aprilia S1 saloon
1953 Aurelia B10
1965 Flavia Sport
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 09 October, 2015, 04:11:00 PM »

Well, that is one question answered!!!!! I now know where to get help when it's time for my engine and gearbox to go back in the Gussie. If you ask nicely I will let you practice on the B20 first!!!!

Seriously, that is an excellent 2 hours of work!!! It is so great when a job like that is knocked on the head!!!

Andy
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 16 October, 2015, 01:42:33 PM »

Crikey, it would take me all day to do that!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd