Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:05:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lancias in literature  (Read 3644 times)
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« on: 19 September, 2015, 09:36:13 AM »

An article I have yet to write is to do with Lancias in literature, in particular to references in unlikely books by unlikely writers. One of the more likely writers is Ian Fleming, but it might be a surprise to some that a Flaminia Zagato appears in one of the James Bond stories being driven by one Tracy di Vicenzo. This is mentioned in an interesting article in The Guardian today by Richard Williams, which is a good piece of writing too – see this link:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/18/james-bond-f1-mercedes-ian-fleming-trigger-mortis-anthony-horowitz

I must find time to write my little piece!
« Last Edit: 19 September, 2015, 09:41:52 AM by ColinMarr » Logged
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2015, 10:04:49 AM »

You know about the Aurelia mentioned several time sin the "The Business" by Iain Banks .....

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Derek Moore

« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2015, 10:42:59 AM »

Interesting article. Was there such a car as a Lancia Flaminia Zagato Spyder? Not my expert subject but if anyone's got a picture of one?

Beta 2000 Spider
Beta 2000 Coupe
Beta 2000ie HPE

previous Lancias:
1978 Beta 2000 Sedan (from new)
1974 2000
1982 HPE1600
1982 Gamma Coupe
1978 Spyder 200ie
1975 Fulvia S3
1979 HPE 2000
1989 Thema 8.32
1988 Y10 Fila
1990 Y10GTie (last two f
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2015, 04:42:05 PM »

Thanks, I didn't know about Ian Banks book - perhaps I should read it. I see it's "described as a science fiction book set in the present day" - sounds intriguing and interesting that Banks knew of Aurelias. I doubt if there ever was a Flaminia Zagato Spyder and I guess that's a flight of Fleming's imagination. I doubt if Zagato produced much by way of open cars during the 1960s.

There is a book by Richard Williams that also has a Lancia reference. This is "The Last Road Race", which is a brilliant and evocative account of the 1957 Pescara Grand Prix. The Lancia in question being Luigi Musso's Lancia-Ferrari D50. A book I highly recommend. 
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2015, 06:38:46 PM »

Ian Fleming liked his cars and endowed his characters with a variety of interesting cars. They didn't translate into the films so much. You have to read the books.

Then there's Morse. Did Mr Dowling ever disclose his secret?
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 11 December, 2018, 06:40:13 PM »

There's a brilliant series of books called the "Hunger Games" primarily aimed at teenagers, but great stories. The films were good as well but I wonder if the author, Suzanne Collins, is a car buff - maybe even a secret Lancia-buff

One character is called "Fulvia" another "Flavius" and also "Octavia" (not a Lancia, I know, but still car-y). Loads of other great names "Castor & Pollux" but not seen "Fulvia" in a novel before

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Mikenoangelo
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 13 December, 2018, 09:58:11 PM »

A bit of a digression but here is a loosely translated lyric from a song entitled La Topolino Amaranto performed by Romano Conte. I came across this when Youtubing « Lancia Augusta » and found a clip from a Motoring TV programme using the title Topolino Amaranto and which showed a nice black Augusta.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4QqDtb-SHQ

I Googled Topolino Amaranto and concluded that topolino (which literally means little mouse or Mickey Mouse ), in this context, relates to the nickname commonly used for the original Fiat 500. Amaranto relates to Amaranthus, a red leaved edible plant (AKA pigweed in the UK !) – but most probably used here as a reference to colour so the title, I thought, just means little red car and is unrelated to the black Augusta. A second programme also on Youtube does review a red Fiat 500 roadster.

So to digress a bit further, the song sung by Romano Conte with the same name also came up on Google.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zr9oq6nE1U.
Conte has done better songs so don't listen for too long!

The song goes back to the drab days of 1946 when fuel was pricey and a trip out in a car with a blond was a treat. The car as you will see was an Aprilia. So the joy of motoring in a proper car as expressed in the song is the real reason for the title of the Youtube clip.

Today gasoline has gone up -
It is the summer of '46
A liter is worth a kilo of salad
But who renounces his car, who goes on foot?
The car, what a comfort!

On the amaranth Topolino
Come on, sit next to me, let's go now
If I let the bridle loose a little
It seems to me an Aprilia has no rivals
and clenching her teeth, the blonde
hears a slingshot
And he smiles a smile at the fear that is in her
But on the amaranth Topolino
It goes like a charm, in '46

I did wonder why she would hear a slingshot but it's probably there because the Italian word rhymes with blond!

Mike
Oh and by the way I tracked down the black Augusta and it will soon be in my shed  Smiley
« Last Edit: 14 December, 2018, 08:07:36 PM by Mikenoangelo » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd