Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 02:51:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Past Present and Future  (Read 10223 times)
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 10 October, 2007, 11:19:56 PM »

Hi Rodders,
Must be your age, bit like mine Grin

Scarpia is perfectly correct, it's Peter & Lin Hon Baker with their Fulvia 2c on the finishing Ramp at Monte Carlo, after this year Monte Carlo Rally Historique. And what a magnificent effort it was. Nice to see a 2c Berlina competing as they were the first of the Fulvia's, I believe, to compete, but they were rapidly replaced by the coupe.

Must admit it had me thinking for a minute or two as I wasn't thinking about Peter & Lins car. In fact I had to have a look to remind myself. & me a 2c owner! Cheesy

Brian Hilton
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #16 on: 11 October, 2007, 11:11:31 AM »

If I'm not mistaken its a 67 2C.The article re awakened a long term sneaking desire to aquire a Fulvia saloon for rallying.Am I right in thinking the pre 68 is a basic criteria for many events and if so,what does the reader think is most interesting version in that light.( I think a 67 gt which I believe was just over 1200cc and 80 hp is a latest possible model with most power in standard form or was a 1300 90 hp gte already available then?).
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 11 October, 2007, 12:18:32 PM »

I know that Peter and Lin's has been fitted with the 1.3 90hp engine at some point in its history, so it is quite potent.  Moreover, I know what Peter paid for the car, and he got an absolute bargain...

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #18 on: 11 October, 2007, 05:32:32 PM »

If I'm not mistaken its a 67 2C.The article re awakened a long term sneaking desire to aquire a Fulvia saloon for rallying.Am I right in thinking the pre 68 is a basic criteria for many events and if so,what does the reader think is most interesting version in that light.( I think a 67 gt which I believe was just over 1200cc and 80 hp is a latest possible model with most power in standard form or was a 1300 90 hp gte already available then?).

Not really sure how you would stand on rallying, & I don't in what class etc Peter runs his 2c, but I believe FIA papers only covered early 2c pre 1966 cars, which had the 1091cc engine with column gearchange, the same as my 2c which was registered 1/1/1966, so it was obviously built in 1965, but with the factory records having been destroyed in a flood,  I don't know exactly when.
I first came across Peters car back in 1997 when it was part of Michael Newberry's collection & it was the major incentive for me to get into Fulvia 2c Berlina's. At the time it wasn't for sale & I bought a 1968 Fulvia Series 1 1.3 Rallye Coupe off of him.

The 1.3 engine I believe was fitted by Cessari Ferrari who eventually bought it off Michael, but it blew a hole in a piston, I had just had to have a rebore due to a ring breaking on my 2c, so I offered Cessari a couple of standard pistons, unfortunately it had already been rebored so they were of no use,  I think at that point a 1300cc engine was found & fitted.
 I don't know if a higher ratio diff was fitted also, but for anyone considering replacing a 1091cc with a 1300cc it would be worth doing as the 2c with the 1091cc engine is very low geared, about 15mph per 1000 rpm; while you wouldn't want to fit the higher ratio here, a friend in Holland (Where it's Flat Grin) has the higher ratio in his 1091cc 2c & it's a worthwhile improvement, so with a 1300cc engine fitted it would pull the revs down nicely.
I was also tempted to buy Peter's (as is now) as at the price it was going for at the time it would have been worth it for spares alone.
Photos are of Peter's 2c in 1997.

Brian Hilton
8227 Cool

* 2c OPD37E M Newberry's 1997 3 copy.jpg (53.19 KB, 500x320 - viewed 368 times.)

* 2c OPD 37E M Newberry's 1997 2 copy.jpg (44.68 KB, 400x257 - viewed 361 times.)

* 2c OPD 37E M Newberry's 1997 copy.jpg (35.2 KB, 375x248 - viewed 365 times.)

Dedra Technical Adviser
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #19 on: 11 October, 2007, 06:08:38 PM »

Come on chaps, lets tell everybody how much I paid for this little gem. £250. Thats right, including some road tax and nine months MOT. So apart from replacing the rear nearside floor area and sill, the speedometer (came from the USA thanks to Don Cross, shock absorbers (one broken, not worn out), the complete exhaust system, in stainless steel as the sedan as far as I am aware is not catered for, an exhaust manifold (perforation), fuel tank (also perforation), radiator, alternator, drive shaft, only one side, a re-wire of all lamps front and rear, strip down of both front doors to replace winder mechanics, front brake strip down and handbrake overhaul, and last but not least the very hard to find steering horn ring was broken. For a replacement I have to thank our very own Brian Hilton who donated the item foc to help me get the car 'back on the road'. Approx £2,500 so far, not including the respray it desperately needs. And that has nothing to do with rally prep or studded tyres. So she stands me in around £3,000 in round figures, but, hey, whose complaining.
For most FIVA, regularity events you can replace up to the class limit, ie in my case 1300cc. FIA is generally only concerned with stage events which is much more serious and people cry easier. The cut off date can vary but for UK events it is Dec 1967. An important note, cars manufactured after this date fall into 'post historic and are banned from night rallying because of the single choke per cylinder rule. If you need more info ring, fax or e-mail me, or Brian.  Oh yes, about that gearbox leak.
« Last Edit: 11 October, 2007, 06:11:55 PM by peterbaker » Logged

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #20 on: 11 October, 2007, 07:10:37 PM »

Peter - did you ever rally an Appia?

David Laver, Lewisham.
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #21 on: 11 October, 2007, 09:05:10 PM »

Rather, all in the first series sedan, thanks to Don Cross and Tim Burrett. I have done two Marathons, including Germany, Denmark and Norway. The car has been to Italy twice. And Scotland for a round of the HRCR Championship. I think I have done a least five rallies in Wales including the Welsh Retro twice, and won a concour on the Tour of Cheshire. In 2004 I did the Le-Jog (Lands -End John O'Groats) but the gearbox went after twenty eight hours. The next year we finished without penalty and won a gold medal, the first Lancia ever to do so. The Appia 1st Series looks much better than its big brother and wins friends wherever it goes, which is more than I do! We also won the LMC Landmarks Rally run by Neil Lewis without loss of marks. I tried to enter the Monte Carlo Historic but surprisingly, an Appia never competed so my entry was turned down. In 2003 I put an entry in for the Mille Miglia but even though an Appia had won its class, in I think 1954, my entry fee was again returned. In spite of this public school attitude we tagged on the end and followed the event. The car has also ferried friends up Prescott and around Silverstone. Come to think of it we also did a Sliding Pillar Rally in Belgium and the Cirencester Economy Drive.

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #22 on: 12 October, 2007, 01:52:59 AM »

Come on chaps, lets tell everybody how much I paid for this little gem. £250. Thats right, including some road tax and nine months MOT. So apart from replacing the rear nearside floor area and sill, the speedometer (came from the USA thanks to Don Cross, shock absorbers (one broken, not worn out), the complete exhaust system, in stainless steel as the sedan as far as I am aware is not catered for, an exhaust manifold (perforation), fuel tank (also perforation), radiator, alternator, drive shaft, only one side, a re-wire of all lamps front and rear, strip down of both front doors to replace winder mechanics, front brake strip down and handbrake overhaul.

Hi Peter,
So you managed to get the sunday off then Grin
If I'd have known I could have helped with the speedo as well, as I've got 3 spares (Courtesy of Mike Matthews about 10 years ago), give me a shout if you need anything, I just might have it!
Heavens alone knows where it had been in the 6 or so years since I had last seen it in excellent condition, & before it came into your hands 2 years ago ?, to get in that condition Cry

brian Hilton
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #23 on: 12 October, 2007, 09:59:40 AM »

How standard was the Appia?    Other than the gearbox any problems?  Was there an obvious cause of the gearbox problem?  ...other than a 'nut(ter) loose at the wheel'  Grin

Don't tell Mrs L, but am rather tempted by an S3 Appia Tongue, perhaps with a sport spec engine... Kiss

I've read about the Fulvia adventures - are there back issues of Viva I should be digging out to read about the Appia?

Not sure what the proper use of all these little faces is but they looked cute enough. 

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #24 on: 12 October, 2007, 05:34:41 PM »

I still have the Appia and any modifications are quite straightfoward. In true Lancia fashion it punches above its weight, but as standard it is not a fast car mustering only 38bhp. Don Cross came up with an improved inlet manifold that allows a Weber 28/36 to be fitted. This gives maybe another 5bhp, not much on paper but in percentage terms very effective. The suspension and braking is unmodified but an alternator is fitted to allow use of all accesories, lights, wipers and extra spotlamps for instance. Thats about it.
The secret is to have a championship winning navigator who can read the road. It takes a lot of confidence but once the trust factor is established high average speeds can be maintained.
My only non finish was through a broken gearbox, even though it had been rebuilt. These things happen.
Rallying is the natural extension to Lancia ownership.

DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #25 on: 12 October, 2007, 06:02:35 PM »

Have had a couple of goes navigating and driven the Welsh Monte - a huge buzz right up there with racing the Aurelia on closed roads (Manx Classic).   

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd