Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 02:49:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to treat rusted areas  (Read 6690 times)
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« on: 17 July, 2015, 06:46:23 PM »

Hello again Forum readers.  My newly acquired Series 2 is in pretty good condition.  There are quite a few small areas of rust and some bubbles in the paintwork in various places that I'll be working on - all relatively straightforward, I think.  The question I'd like to ask other owners is how best to treat rust in the external weld seams on the front and rear of the car.  I remember from the Fulvias I owned 30 years ago that these areas are very prone to rust.  If I recall correctly the chrome trim is held in place with v-shaped metal clips which, ironically, scrape off part of any paint that has been newly applied!  Anyway, does anybody have any hints or tips about how to treat rust in such an awkward place?  Also, has anybody found a better way to re-attach the chrome trim?  Finally, is there anybody in the North West that can recommend somewhere for partial or total re-spray?  I'm not looking to get the car to concours condition - just a smart appearance.  Cheers, Norm Thomas

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2015, 07:33:58 PM »

James Parry in Wrexham does a lot of work on Lancias.  He grew up round Lancia restoration and has expanded his tyre business into customer restoration work rather than just his own projects.  In the first site look for the "services" tag then his Augusta.  Most of the progress reports are on Facebook.  He's done more Fulvias than I could count.  If nothing else its an interesting place to visit.

http://www.mineratyres.com/page1.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Minera-tyres/239230576101344?pnref=story

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2015, 08:57:16 PM »

Thanks David.  His work looks impressive and I plan to visit him.  In particular, i may need a rear valance and I see that he offers one.  However, to keep costs under control I would like to do quite a bit of the prep work myself - so am looking for any hints and tips on how to handle the rust that I have in the weld seams.  For example, do I sand/grind away as much as I can reach and then paint the inside with Hammerite?  Is there something else that can be painted over rusted areas that would inhibit further spread?  Or am I just deluding myself?   Cheers, Norm

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2015, 09:01:18 PM »

As a holding exercise on bits of rust I tend to judiciously grind back the affected area removing as much rust as possible, liberally treat it with a rust converter which you can paint over (not the stuff you have to wash off) giving it as many coats as needed to convert all the rust and hoping it gets sucked into seams by capillary action then paint with a rust proof primer such as they recommend for painting direct onto rust and finish off with a colour coat. Also try to get at the back of the seam to do that as well or failing that get in with a waxoyl spray.

A bit Heath Robinson come belt and braces and no substitute for a professional repair.

Frank
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2015, 09:03:52 PM »

Sorry - I think I got this company confused with David ash worth's company - also in Wrexham.
Cheers, Norm

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2015, 09:05:16 PM »

Thanks Frank - that's good advice.
Cheers, norm

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 17 July, 2015, 09:12:12 PM »

Hi Norm, I am using Kurust and red oxide primer on my Y10 at the moment and now you mention it I do use hammerite as a top coat on internal bits. I have also been using Hammerite satin black spray on subsidiary components to good effect.

Do visit James Parry. I always marvel at his work when I see it on-line.

Frank
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2015, 10:38:07 AM »

After my Fulvia was repainted Graham Bates replaced all the old trim on the seams, bonnet and boot edge etc with the chromed plastic which is meant for the seams on Minis. It's a soft plastic, easy to follow shapes and pushes on without any damage to the paint at all. I think you'd have to be a real expert to spot this isn't the original trim. For extra security you can tack it on with a bit of silicone but mine has stayed in place OK for the past 8 years. I'd suggest using this and keeping the original trim for any future owners.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #8 on: 20 July, 2015, 08:20:56 PM »

Thanks Graham.  Where would you get that Mini trim from?
Cheers, Norm

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 21 July, 2015, 06:55:14 AM »

You could try googling in ni spares or British Motor Heritage. Minis are so popular there must be many suppliers out there along with MGB s and Morrics Minors.
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 21 July, 2015, 09:17:07 AM »

This is similar to the type that I have, just a flat profile -

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/GZF107A.aspx

I just googled 'chromed plastic seam trim'. The same place stock a 'fluted' profile but avoid this as it seems specific to a certain part of a Mini. The flat profile is more generic.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #11 on: 22 July, 2015, 10:21:27 PM »

Great - thanks for that information.  I'll order some of the trim straight away.
Cheers, Norm

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 23 July, 2015, 03:49:34 PM »

This is similar to the type that I have, just a flat profile -

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/GZF107A.aspx

I just googled 'chromed plastic seam trim'. The same place stock a 'fluted' profile but avoid this as it seems specific to a certain part of a Mini. The flat profile is more generic.

Had a look at an early Mini At "Classicson the Common" last night and the fluted profile is used along the bottom seam freom the front wing-under the door and up over the back wheelarch.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd