Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 05:38:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saab 96  (Read 6818 times)
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 22 May, 2015, 06:52:04 AM »

Frank,
the Rileys I meant were the last cars before the Nuffield takeover in the late thirties.

A little googling confirms what everyone has said about freewheels. Two strokes apparently lose lubrication from the fuel when going downhill on a closed throttle, and Saab advised drivers to keep the freewheel engaged as much as possible. It could be shut out however, and it was prudent to do so on long downward stretches.

I wonder if any Augusta people use the freewheel on their cars?

Cesare Once a month or so, just for a few minutes to keep the selectors lubricated. Otherwise, even with Augusta brakes, i prefer not to use it. Mike Wheeler uses his all the time!
 Regards, John
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 22 May, 2015, 06:48:32 PM »

Well I stand corrected on both counts. My colleague in a Saab was a terrifying driver so I likely had my eyes closed most of the time so didn't notice a freewheel knob. As to the Riley I was thinking of the wrong takeover. I will have to read up on pre war Rileys.
Lapsed Cesare Ferrari
Lapsed

« Reply #17 on: 22 May, 2015, 10:14:11 PM »

I think I would share John's caution if I had a freewheel, except possibly in slow town traffic. It says a lot for the change in approach to motoring that a device that requires a good deal of forethought in its use should have been available in popular cars. Frank, my Riley book is in storage while I wait to move into a new house, but i would be glad to lend it once I can lay hands on it again in a couple of weeks time.
Ciao
Cesare
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd