Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 11:11:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got the little sod!  (Read 8753 times)
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 29 April, 2015, 04:45:28 PM »

How do they get into the chamber Brian? Is it the type that inflates? I thought they zipped up tight and the only way air gets in/out is through filters?
Stan,
it's not the type that inflates as you have to let them down every time you take the car out then reinflate, unless things have changed.
I bought my airchamber back in 2001, it is held up by fiberglass poles and the roof is helped by chambers built in to the roof that you inflate separately, it has a big door at the front with a zip down both sides and the bottom is sealed by a velcro strip arrangement, the weak part as you drive over the bottom half of it every time you move the car in and out, mine is a bit the worse for wear after 14 years but still gives good service, there are two fans that run continuously and  a zipped flap in the front door you adjust to keep positive pressure inside the Airchamber and control the flow.
It has a zipped door either side so you can get in without having to open up the front, my garage just about holds the width of the air chamber with enough room for me to use only one of the side doors, probably one of the best buys I've ever had.
for the first 9 years "Fay" was in a lock up garage 4 miles away with no power, so I ran the fans using 85AH Leisure Batteries, I had two, one was on charge while the other was running the fans, these lasted a week, so every week I had to go and changed the batteries over, real pain at times but it also meant I checked "Fay" every week.
about 6 years ago a finally got a lock up in my village in a block of four, they back on to the side of my front garden so a hole was rapidly drilled through the wall and it's run on mains power and transformer ever since.

Photos are of my previous garage.

Brian
8227 Cool

* Fay & Air Chamber 1.jpg (387.91 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 246 times.)

* Fay & Air Chamber 2.jpg (400.28 KB, 1561x1200 - viewed 264 times.)

* Fay & Air Chamber 3.jpg (290.44 KB, 1168x1600 - viewed 270 times.)

* Fay in Garage 1.jpg (197.82 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 251 times.)

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 29 April, 2015, 04:51:43 PM »

Living out in the sticks means rodents come with the territory so to speak. I'm pretty tolerant towards them in the garage, mainly because my car gets used frequently and doesn't sit still long enough for mice to make a home in it. Quite often if I'm working in the garage at night a common shrew comes out to have a nosey. I'd certainly wouldn't want to harm him .
 Those Big Cheese mouse traps are very effective , as illustrated by Brian, but like all traps are a bit indiscriminate. Ultrasonics can also work [in my experience] but the rats/mice/squirrels do seem to develop a tolerance towards them after a few weeks.

I've found a silenced 410 to be the best anti rodent defence. It's an un-amibiguous solution and creates minimum collateral damage to other species! Perhaps not the most practical solution to use in confined spaces though...
If you want to get rid of the mouse odour I'd suggest popping down to the local vets and get some of that neutralising fluid which biologically digests the source of the smell.
Thanks Rob,
They haven't tried to make a nest but just seem to come in and chew a bit of whatever takes their fancy, and it's the first time I've had the problem, not really room in the boot for me & my .22 air Rifle so I think that's out Grin
Didn't think of the neutralising fluid, I already have something similar for if my dogs have an accident indoors.

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 29 April, 2015, 05:14:10 PM »

Looks like a good set up. My car spent many years in terrible leaky garages. I think the only reason it survived is because I had it waxoyled as soon as I got it and it had only just arrived from Italy. Since 2006 it's been a 100% dry garage attached to the house. I have a dehumidifier in there also. Ideally I'd like a garage big enough to open doors, remove wheels etc so that work can be done at leisure inside but I'm happy just to have a dry one at last.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #18 on: 29 April, 2015, 05:32:01 PM »

So Brian, where do the mice get into the air chamber? If you found their entrance you may be able to block it?

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #19 on: 29 April, 2015, 06:09:09 PM »

So Brian, where do the mice get into the air chamber? If you found their entrance you may be able to block it?

I always say put the traps away from the nesting roosting sleeping zone. More traps attract!!!

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #20 on: 30 April, 2015, 09:21:48 AM »

They get in at the bottom of the front door, the strip at the bottom with the velcro has torn and deteriorated over the years, I do mean to get around to repairing it but I'm not quite sure how, as the plastic is torn I've tried taping it but that doesn't last long, it's the weak part of the design as you drive over it all the time.
Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd