Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:53:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fingers (and toes) crossed.  (Read 15741 times)
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #15 on: 04 February, 2016, 08:08:10 PM »

Good news! and interesting reading!
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 05 February, 2016, 05:28:47 AM »

Congratulations! Might performance improve during running in?
Probably won't make that much difference as the engine is not tight having been run in before.    The low gearing meant she would accelerate up a 1 in 7 hill in top gear but I'm prepared to put up with a little less of that in exchange for a higher cruising speed.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 08 April, 2016, 03:31:45 PM »

Things are never straightforward with a Lambda.  Alas, woil!    Testing revealed a leak in the front left cylinder so I took off the head and there was a pinhole or two between the edge of the front of the liner and the block.   There had been a lot of corrosion here.  The groove is where I had been picking at it to try to find the hole.   The problem was compounded by an error in the gasket of which more anon.

* IMG_0076 (Copy).JPG (214.67 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 442 times.)
« Last Edit: 08 April, 2016, 03:43:53 PM by davidwheeler » Logged

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #18 on: 08 April, 2016, 03:47:37 PM »

I took the engine back to Nick and he has built up the iron liner with copper/nickel (it is not possible to spray iron) and sealed all the holes.  I  went down yesterday to pick it up.    Nick also showed me his lab where he is finding out what can be done with cold metal spraying.  He even has a computer controlled nozzle implying he can do metal printing.   I did not have a camera alas.   He is working on all sorts of things including parts for a satellite.
On the way home, went into Dobson's gasket in Keighly with block and head and talked to David (who makes the gaskets) and their CAD guy and I think we have now got the head gasket properly sorted - see Technical thread for details.

* IMG_0084 (Copy).JPG (166.88 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 440 times.)
« Last Edit: 08 April, 2016, 04:06:03 PM by davidwheeler » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd