Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:46:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: left overs  (Read 5995 times)
John B
Lapsed

« on: 29 January, 2015, 06:40:52 PM »

After removing the interior of my S3 Appia to repair the floor and then re-fitting it all I seem to have a couple of springs that are looking for a home.......surely from the front seat frame but nothing obvious "springs" to mind. They have a coil length of about 5 inches.
Yes I know I should have taken lots of photos as it was all dismantled but I forgot!
Any suggestions please as to their location?

* 001.JPG (366.48 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 425 times.)

1961 Appia S3
1969 Fiat 850 Special
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 29 January, 2015, 07:44:55 PM »

They are indeed the springs for the front seat, there are 2 small eyelets, one on the frame , another on the floor cross member- a set on each side

see photo !

* DSCN0930.jpg (56.05 KB, 480x640 - viewed 626 times.)
« Last Edit: 29 January, 2015, 07:51:18 PM by simonandjuliet » Logged

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
John B
Lapsed

« Reply #2 on: 29 January, 2015, 09:10:37 PM »

Thanks for that.......now I know what I'm looking for it should be plain sailing.
I have no recollection of removing them in the first place......another senior moment!

1961 Appia S3
1969 Fiat 850 Special
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 30 January, 2015, 11:24:50 AM »

Having tried Simon's Appia for size I can report they work really well and that its a weird feeling being able to slide the whole bench back and forth so easily without it racking, snagging, jolting, snagging or (with those springs) needing to be hauled forwards as with just about every other car ever made.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
John B
Lapsed

« Reply #4 on: 30 January, 2015, 02:27:07 PM »

There is a bit of a problem with the ease of use in mine, before I removed the seat the only way to slide it back and forward was for 2 people sitting on the seat to work in unison with either a backward or forward thrust.
I took apart the slider mechanisms to see if there was a problem and the steel/rubber rollers all have several flat spots.
I have made a small improvement to the shape of them and greased the runners etc but not yet tried a solo operation.

1961 Appia S3
1969 Fiat 850 Special
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 30 January, 2015, 03:31:00 PM »

Mine was exactly the same, the rollers had flatted and perished. Tidied them up with a Stanley knife as you have done, greased it all , et voila !

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 30 January, 2015, 06:01:22 PM »

Now Simon has a lathe he'd take a couple of days freezing them to turn.

I think I'd have spun them in a drill with coarse paper.

However a knife is perfect...

David Laver, Lewisham.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 01 February, 2015, 01:26:39 PM »

My seat is jammed ....  but that is the least of my worries !!!!

Thank you for the tips on how to free it, I wonder if I will remember when the time comes!!

Andy
westernlancia
Lapsed

Appia S1 - 2006 Turin centenary Car of the Century

« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2015, 11:31:23 AM »

Having tried Simon's Appia for size I can report they work really well and that its a weird feeling being able to slide the whole bench back and forth so easily without it racking, snagging, jolting, snagging or (with those springs) needing to be hauled forwards as with just about every other car ever made.

I agree that the way that Appia seats slide is beautifully conceived and executed.

However, at the risk of being shot for saying so, there are (a few) other cars that are as beautifully made. My 1937 Terraplane is virtually all original inside and out except for the front mat, which had been replaced with a nasty acrylic fabric carpet. So last year I decided to replace it with one of the excellent reproductions that are available, and to do so I had to dismantle and remove the front seat, which slides back and forth as well as an Appia one, despite being much larger.

Pic attached. Everything in this picture except some of the (removable) accessories, the mat and the HORRID 80s temp gauge, which is shortly coming off and being replaced by an older one, is 78 years old and unrestored. And the seat frame is made of WOOD. And, ingeniously, it also pivots round in an arc to the right, as my car is a 2-door car and the seat swings round to allow better access to the rear. The reason it swings to the right is that for safety reasons Hudson designed left-hand-drive Terraplanes for right entry and exit (and vice-versa) - my US-made LHD car only has a lock on the right-hand door, the idea being that the driver slide across and get out on the passenger side. That's the kind of thinking and practice that Lancia would have approved of!

As I said above, sorry to mention this - I know I am not supposed to mention non-Lancias. But there ARE a few other nice marques - and in my defence the company that owns the Hudson brand is now the same as the one that owns the Lancia brand (Fiat...).

* IMG_7548.JPG (143.99 KB, 800x598 - viewed 453 times.)

* IMG_7545.JPG (191.48 KB, 800x598 - viewed 430 times.)

00 Lancia Y Elefantino Rosso, 96 Lancia Y 1.2, 84 VW Golf GTi, 66 VW Splitscreen, 56 Ford Anglia, 56 Lancia Appia S1, 54 Ford Prefect, 54 Lancia Appia S1, 37 Terraplane, lovely old trailer, 10,000 vintage accessories
oldcaraccessories.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd