Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 08:51:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Appia Radiator  (Read 2558 times)
Walbarr

« on: 03 June, 2018, 07:51:13 AM »

Hi All
My S1 Berlina has an uprated engine from a Zagato. After being 80% restored over 10 years ago it has had minor use though I did occasionally get the engine going. The last time I tried this several months ago the engine started to overheat. So tried to drain the water from the Rad to see what the problem might be. Unfortunately the drain tap was seized and the inevitable happened the banjo broke away from the bottom of the rad. I have taken the Rad to be repaired. The shop advise that the Radiator needs to be taken apart so that the banjo can be properly fitted ie soldered not just on the outside of the rad but inside as well. WHilst they are it they recommend that the it be recored at the same time.

The rad was recored over 10 years ago but the car has been standing around for much of this time. I did find the source of the overheating which was gunge blocking the pipes to and from the rad - cant remember which ones know.
Another question, is it necessary to keep the radiator tap or is there another solution?
Any thoughts re the above much appreciated.

Walbarr
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2018, 09:14:59 AM »

The "other solution" is to pull the hose off to let the water out...as any 1960s motor industry accountant would tell you Wink

Out of interest, which was the first Lancia model to drop that feature?

David Laver, Lewisham.
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2018, 09:46:26 AM »

I think that there are 2 re-cored radiators in the Appia Consortium and they may well be less expensive than redoing your own - why not drop Jim a line ?
They also have the replacement bolts , the chrismas trees and banjo-bolts are available either from the consortium or Cavalitto

I would keep the tap, just dismantle and clean it. I put a smear of coppaslip on the cone as well. They are useful .....

Re taps, my 1st ser Fulvia has a tap, but the HF (2nd ser) doesn't so I suspect it is about the FIAT takeover time that they were phased out ??

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Walbarr

« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2018, 12:15:12 PM »

Thanks for the words of advice guys.
Still waiting for the cost of repair but in the meantime will get in contact with Jim
Walbarr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd