Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 11:27:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And then there were two...  (Read 19643 times)
westernlancia
Lapsed

Appia S1 - 2006 Turin centenary Car of the Century

« Reply #30 on: 09 March, 2015, 07:57:28 AM »

I have sinned. Looks to have last been on the road circa 1973 (the last tax disc is on the dash, but I can only read '197...' In the pic). Story is that it has been in storage (along with a lot of other cars from the collection) for 30 years while the family fought over inheritance.

Been and got it now - photos to follow. Mind you, my wife came with me and so I ended up spending longer in IKEA than picking the car up (the seller was very amused that we had gone all the way to Turin and then went to IKEA, which is everywhere - but in fact the Turin branch is the second closest to us after Avignon, and we had a big trailer with only a small Appia in it, and we needed a bed...).

Also visited Cavalitto (of course!), and the 'Balôn' antique (junk...) and flea market, which I had been told about by Enrico at Cavalitto, and which is the best I have ever visited (and boy, have I visited some junk markets!). An absolute must if/when you are next in Turin:

http://www.comune.torino.it/torinoplus/english/viveretorino/mercati/Balon/index.shtml

Right - off to get all the Balôn junk out of the Appia, and then the Appia out of the trailer...

00 Lancia Y Elefantino Rosso, 96 Lancia Y 1.2, 84 VW Golf GTi, 66 VW Splitscreen, 56 Ford Anglia, 56 Lancia Appia S1, 54 Ford Prefect, 54 Lancia Appia S1, 37 Terraplane, lovely old trailer, 10,000 vintage accessories
oldcaraccessories.com
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #31 on: 09 March, 2015, 09:04:46 AM »

Brilliant Alan, I/we cannot wait to see the photographs!!

Andy
GG
Megaposter

« Reply #32 on: 09 March, 2015, 05:56:02 PM »

Wonderful thread - just to fill in some thoughts on the s.2 - which we've had since 1996, bought from the estate of the original owner, and out of the small garage where he had brought it home in 1959. I share the love of Appias, and the joys of an unrestored one is that you can simply marvel in how Lancia's engineering and fabrication prowess holds up over time: the door gap remains 1/16" without any variation in 56 years. Remarkable.
The pleasure of the s.2 (for me) is that it is totally usable, and yet has the period look in the front grill, etc. Granted, the rear isn't as attractive as the s.1, but it has more trunk room (not much to start with) and the engine is certainly robust. Its not as fast as the s.3, I don't think we really can go over 75mph, but then again its on an original engine, so we probably shouldn't anyway!

As to lightness, I'm a big fan of that (preferring the s.2 B20 to anything later for exactly this reason) and find it hard to see the s.2 Appia as ponderous. It is delightfully balanced, and having never driven an s.1, perhaps there is a big difference. The weight (if there is much to discuss) in the later car is certainly in build quality, and being less than 2,000 lbs, can't really call it heavy. But like all things Lancia, there is always more to learn. An s.1 would be interesting to ride in. Anyone going to Sliding Pillar?

Here's a link to an s.2 story and some pictures: http://stories.lanciainfo.com/Lancia_Info_Stories/Appia.html

Geoff

* IMG_5668_2.jpg (1633.92 KB, 1649x1099 - viewed 327 times.)
« Last Edit: 10 March, 2015, 01:14:57 AM by GG » Logged

B20 s.2, Appia C10, Flavia 2000
westernlancia
Lapsed

« Reply #33 on: 09 March, 2015, 10:09:40 PM »

You can simply marvel in how Lancia's engineering and fabrication prowess holds up over time: the door gap remains 1/16" without any variation in 56 years. Remarkable.
The pleasure of the s.2 (for me) is that it is totally usable, and yet has the period look in the front grill, etc. Granted, the rear isn't as attractive as the s.1, but it has more trunk room (not much to start with) and the engine is certainly robust. Its not as fast as the s.3, I don't think we really can go over 75mph, but then again its on an original engine, so we probably shouldn't anyway!
As to lightness, I'm a big fan of that (preferring the s.2 B20 to anything later for exactly this reason) and find it hard to see the s.2 Appia as ponderous. It is delightfully balanced, and having never driven an s.1, perhaps there is a big difference. The weight (if there is much to discuss) in the later car is certainly in build quality, and being less than 2,000 lbs, can't really call it heavy. But like all things Lancia, there is always more to learn. An s.1 would be interesting to ride in. Anyone going to Sliding Pillar?
Here's a link to an s.2 story and some pictures: http://stories.lanciainfo.com/Lancia_Info_Stories/Appia.html
Geoff

Amen to that - especially the door gaps, which I find truly amazing. Eat your heart out Honda (and everyone else, but Honda leave all the others for dead). Although as Will How and I have always said, I think they left the apprentices to fit the boot lids, as the shut lines on those are nowhere near as good. They are about 80% as good on S1s and about 40% as good on S2s and S3s. But the doors are staggering

Re. weight - I wasn't so much trying to say that S2s and S3s were heavy and ponderous, as that S1s are amazingly light and delicate-feeling (perhaps a bit TOO delicate!). My S3s all felt bombproof and unburstable, while I can't really say that S1s feel like that - you have this impression of delicate machinery that needs to be cared for, and you find yourself listening for untoward noises (although there aren't usually any!). One of the contributory factors in S1s feeling very light and delicate hits you as you enter the car because the door handles are made of ally and are very light and light-operating, and along with the ally doors give a very feather-light impression compared with the inox door handles on S2s which, although still fitted to ally doors, feel as if they could survive a nuclear attack. I'm not saying it's a bad thing (S1 handles are maybe a bit *too* delicate) - just that it all forms part of a feeling of more substantial and modern-feeling build and less delicacy.

S1s also have no oil filter, which is slightly worrying, but I change the oil every 1000 miles because oil is cheaper than engines. In the one I have had for 15 years I once drove 15 miles into the sun with it before getting home and finding there was no oil in it - an oil pipe had burst, but I couldn't see the gauge because I was dazzled. I was absolutely terrified that I had damaged the engine, but that was 10 years ago and nothing bad has happened yet!

I agree with you about the rear end styling (I think it looks like a cute little rump, a bit like a Mini's only 5 years earlier), but I know that I am not necessarily in the majority on that, and that a lot of people prefer the more 'classic' (but also more mainstream) look of the S2/3 'bum'. The roof of the S1 also rises above the back doors before dropping to the rear window, which gives it a slightly 'hump-backed' look in comparison with the Aurelia B10 (which it is supposed to be - and basically is - a small-scale version of).

I also like the S1's integrated bumpers (next car to have them, apart from the 57 Chevy, Ford Classic and a few others, was as far as I can remember the Renault 5 in 1972!). So they were a very predictive and forward-looking feature, and they are practical in that they keep the dirt etc. under control and you don't have to clean an annoying gap between them and the body, but they are quite vulnerable - early ones were aluminium with no rubber strip, then they added a rubber strip, and you could also get steel ones as an aftermarket accessory (which I have on both of mine, but I also have a couple of new spare aluminium ones in the shed so that I can return them to standard if I want to!).

Things that were aluminium on the S1 and are steel on the S2 are: bumpers, hubcaps, door handles, boot lid and rear wings. Bumpers and hubcaps are probably no bad thing as they are somewhat easily dented, but I prefer the ally boot and rear wings as they are less rust prone! It saves a bit of weight but not a massive amount, and although S1s do feel very lively to drive this is largely because they are low-geared. My S3s didn't feel as fast as the S1 but were actually a lot faster. However, the combination of higher gearing, more weight and a more powerful engine gave them some 'modern' or 'big' car characteristics that the S1 doesn't have (and which I don't want!). I like the feeling of being able to zip round like a hooligan in my buzzy little car, while actually not exceeding any speed limits or endangering anyone because I am actually going a lot more slowly than I think I am (James Hunt's last car was an Austin A35 van, which he liked for the same reasons).

As I said earlier in the thread, the intention was to run an S3 as a daily driver alongside the S1 to cherish. Now I will be running an S1 as a daily driver, and I am looking forward to it but I am also a bit apprehensive...

I have just taken some pix of it in the trailer (it is still in it because I have to clean out some space in the shed to get it in!) - I'll post them next.
« Last Edit: 09 March, 2015, 10:44:05 PM by westernlancia » Logged

00 Lancia Y Elefantino Rosso, 96 Lancia Y 1.2, 84 VW Golf GTi, 66 VW Splitscreen, 56 Ford Anglia, 56 Lancia Appia S1, 54 Ford Prefect, 54 Lancia Appia S1, 37 Terraplane, lovely old trailer, 10,000 vintage accessories
oldcaraccessories.com
westernlancia
Lapsed

« Reply #34 on: 09 March, 2015, 10:37:52 PM »

I have just taken some pix of it in the trailer (it is still in it because I have to clean out some space in the shed to get it in!) - I'll post them next.

O.K. - here they are. Not much detail yet because it is dark in the trailer, but I've done a few showing the wonderful rubber mats (same as my other one has) - appear to be made out of shredded recycled tyres, and I love em. Also the religious icon on the radio blank (the other car had about 8 of those in the glovebox, and still has the blessing(!) from Faenza Cathedral in 1954 attached to the steering column - the pleasures of buying cars from a Catholic country!).

Tax disc says 75, not 73 - apparently the family has been fighting over the inheritance of the collection of cars that this one was in, that the next generation is now dying off, and so instead of it being 6 brothers arguing, it is now 24 grandchildren!

One of the photos show an absolutely brilliant washstand that we got at the 'Balôn' market - one of the many virtues of Appias' suicide doors is that you can get LOADS of stuff in, and as this had durable plastic seats (yuck!) I didn't have to worry about damaging them.

And finally, one that tickles me pink. The seats aren't original, sadly - they have been redone with one of the proprietary upholstery kits that you could get in accessory shops in Italy in the 50s, and the doors, seats and parcel shelf are all done in a matching but in my view quite nasty black vinyl set, which is nowhere near as nice as the beautiful cloth it had when new. However, it is a daily driver so I should be grateful of the practicality - although I shall not be grateful of it sticking to my bum on hot days (paragraph 4, line 2: http://www.ourcivilisation.com/smartboard/shop/corena/chap28.htm).

However, the headliner is original and in excellent condition, and has a massive patch of hair grease where the presumably slightly-larger-than-average Italian driver's head rubbed Brylcreem into it over the years. I shall of course be keeping that exactly as it is and not cleaning it off (much to my wife's disgust!) - what a fantastic piece of evidence of life as it used to be...

* IMG_0283.JPG (305.21 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 345 times.)

* IMG_0284.JPG (324.52 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 349 times.)

* IMG_0285.JPG (281.54 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 338 times.)

* IMG_0298.JPG (287.06 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 346 times.)

* IMG_0303.JPG (188.53 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 326 times.)

* IMG_0310.JPG (190.08 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 356 times.)

* IMG_0286.JPG (283.03 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 326 times.)
« Last Edit: 09 March, 2015, 10:50:10 PM by westernlancia » Logged

oldcaraccessories.com
westernlancia
Lapsed

« Reply #35 on: 09 March, 2015, 10:43:40 PM »

Sorry - just accidentally hit return and re-posted the last message I had just done, but there doesn't seem to be a 'delete' option, so I am stuck with it!
« Last Edit: 09 March, 2015, 10:45:15 PM by westernlancia » Logged

oldcaraccessories.com
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #36 on: 09 March, 2015, 10:59:16 PM »

Sorry - just accidentally hit return and re-posted the last message I had just done, but there doesn't seem to be a 'delete' option, so I am stuck with it!

Not sure what you mean Alan, I don't see a duplicate

P

PS Can't your Missus wear an Easter bonnet to stop cross contamination when being driven in the Brylcreem Appia??!!

Wink

Frank Gallagher
westernlancia
Lapsed

« Reply #37 on: 09 March, 2015, 11:09:53 PM »

Not sure what you mean Alan, I don't see a duplicate
PS Can't your Missus wear an Easter bonnet to stop cross contamination when being driven in the Brylcreem Appia??!!
Wink

I deleted the duplicate and replaced it with the apology, because it doesn't seem possible to delete a post completely!

Excellent idea re. Easter bonnet - I shall suggest it forthwith. She wouldn't actually usually be seen dead in an Appia, but it was an absolute masterstroke taking her to Turin IKEA (and ski-ing on the way!), so I have lots and lots of brownie points!

oldcaraccessories.com
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #38 on: 10 March, 2015, 10:57:09 AM »

Looks great. Love the little details. Always exciting when a new car arrives home and you get to know it. As for the Brylcreem - you never know, in 50's Italy a smear of olive oil might have done the trick.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #39 on: 10 March, 2015, 05:29:13 PM »

I think you should call your new purchase Brylcreem, at least to yourself. It seems your good lady might not like to be reminded unnecessarily of the previous owner.

I am looking forward to future posts on the investigations into and work you do on the car.

Best wishes,

Andy
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #40 on: 10 March, 2015, 09:45:22 PM »

Six brothers fighting over the estate becoming 24 grand children fighting over the estate is the down side of buying cars in a Catholic country.
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #41 on: 10 March, 2015, 10:02:29 PM »

Try France !

Napoleonic law is still enforced .....

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #42 on: 10 March, 2015, 10:07:37 PM »

Try France !

Napoleonic law is still enforced .....

And rightly so!

Grin

Shocked

P

Frank Gallagher
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up