Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 01:56:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Augusta Story  (Read 85494 times)
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #105 on: 15 June, 2016, 11:00:49 AM »

This is all very interesting. I find it much easier to replace the engine with the gearbox fitted. I did mine recently on my own. A jack under the gearbox makes all the difference. Replacing the gearbox alone, in situ, is a right pain and I would not do that again, as I'm simply not strong enough.
I notice you don't have a second exhaust port, so I hope you have modern valves, or the head of No. 4 exhaust valve might part company from its stem one day. All the hot gasses from all cylinders passing No. 4 is a bit of poor design in my opinion. Usually, the cooling in that area is limited. Peter Renou has modified his very successfully to cure the problem. I attach a photo of my exhaust system.
Last weekend I was privileged to see the Augusta, bought in pieces by Martin at Omicron. It's a super looking project, as everything that has been done - and there's a lot of it, has been done to a very high standard. It's going to be a splendid example.
Keep up the good work.
Regards, John

* augusta.manifold_edited-1.jpg (925.09 KB, 1740x1695 - viewed 348 times.)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #106 on: 18 June, 2016, 09:23:54 PM »

Jim turned up on Thursday and, thanks to the careful measuring and planning on Tuesday, things went in a fairly straightforward manner. It was not all plain sailing, it never is!! The cross member had been partly obstructed by the rotisserie frame and one job left outstanding was to clean up the  untouched areas, during which, of course, some corrosion was found. It was only a very small area, but a repair plate had to be cut and formed. Routine stuff now!! So that was that, aprons welded in and looking good. I primed them and then it was a matter of getting the shell back onto the rotisserie. In best Haynes Manual fashion, refitting is simply the reverse of the removal. However, Jim had gone and I found it difficult to support the shell separately from the front axle, which also had to be supported whilst it was being removed and then slide the rotisserie A frame, which is unwieldy to say the least, back into place. It was achieved, but my back took a while to recover!! 

Well I found the clutch spring, of course it was not where I thought it was!!! I was sure that it was in the garage, but it was at the workshop .... !!!! At least I had got it!!!

The photograph shows the new and old side by side, the old is some 5mm shorter than the new, but remember the old is now 80+ years old!!! (assuming it is the original).

I am pleased to say that the three bolts that secure the spring restraining plate have been designed carefully and are long enough (just!!) to allow the spring to be safely removed and installed. It is just a matter of being careful when the spring is fully relaxed and to ensure that the bolts are undone/done up equally to load the spring evenly.

So now the shell is safely back on the rotisserie for the final bits of work .... sill drainage holes and Waxoyl holes are the main items. The clutch should be as new, it now has a new spring and a new friction plate, progress, but there is still a way to go!!!

Andy

*  Gussie engine bay aprons from James.jpg (619.59 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 358 times.)

* Gussie engine bay aprons in and primed.jpg (378.13 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 348 times.)

* Gussie clutch spring, old and new.jpg (350.85 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 349 times.)
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #107 on: 19 June, 2016, 11:23:34 AM »

But you're not going to fill with waxoyl yet ?? The painter won't be happy ...... risk of silicon(type) marks

I like the plates, on Aprilias they are bolted on afterwards which makes it simpler

Looking forward to the next stage !

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #108 on: 19 June, 2016, 09:38:32 PM »

No Waxoyl until I have had all the paint done!!! I definitely do not want to take any risks there!!!

I have a busy week ahead and may not get much time in the workshop, but I am intent on pushing on as rapidly as possible.

Andy
rogerelias
Rebel Poster

MY 1600HF IN HEARTBEAT GARAGE

« Reply #109 on: 20 June, 2016, 07:19:17 PM »

So I guess it won't be ready for this years AGM then  Roll Eyes

FULVIA 1600HF LUSSO
1958 VELOCETTE MAC
Triumph Bonneville t120v 1972
1968 MGC ROADSTER
1958 Series 2 Appia berlina
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #110 on: 20 June, 2016, 09:05:36 PM »

Not quite, maybe next year ..... but I have said that several times before!!!!

Andy
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #111 on: 30 June, 2016, 09:28:48 PM »

With the shell back up on the rotisserie it was quick and easy work to complete the sill drainage holes and Waxoyl holes and now the work on the shell is complete!!! At last!!!!

So what next?? Simple, axles on, steering on and drop it off the rotisserie ready for transport to the paint shop!!! The photographs show the steering wheel, column and box with linkage in place. I still have to fit new bearings to the front hubs, second coat of paint on the brake drums and assemble the rear spring rear shackle bearings. These shackle bearings have been made to Morris Parry's design and the components turned up here in Essex. I have to source the final parts and then it should (please) be plain  sailing!!!

The plan is for both the Gussie and B20 to go together which theoretically allows me to give the workshop a thorough spring clean.

Add in collect a gearbox for the Appia and swap it over to see if the 6 channel electronic stethescope has actually found the source of the tapping/knocking noise. Please note that I have various other adjectives to describe the noise, none of them suitable for use in this august publication!!!!

I hope also to re-commission the Y10 .... such a delightful car to drive .....

However, I think my top priority must be to rebuild the B20 engine!!!!!! That on its own will keep me out of mischief for a while.

Andy

* Gussie steering wheel and column (on rotisserie).jpg (317.56 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 351 times.)

* Gussie steering box and links (on rotisserie).JPG (346.51 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 335 times.)
Kari

« Reply #112 on: 01 July, 2016, 07:50:08 AM »

Very good to see the process on your gussie.

May I suggest the following: On my gussie the wires for the right hand headlights were routed through the holes marked blue on the picture. This invites water from rain or carwash entering the side boxes. I have routed the wires on the outside of the crossmenber and have plugged the 4 holes after anti corrosion treatment.

Karl

* wire routing front a.jpg (357.07 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 326 times.)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #113 on: 01 July, 2016, 08:16:58 AM »

Karl, thank you for that tip. I will be going to the workshop later today so I will have a look. I installed new wiring in the car many years ago, but never connected anything up! Definitely anything that can help to reduce the amount of water getting into box sections has to be good!!!

Andy
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #114 on: 04 July, 2016, 04:21:19 PM »

While Simon was being smug and enjoying a day out in the sun of southern France (see Everyday Appia Thread), Jim and I were once again attacking horrible, dirty, rusty bits of Gussie with grinders and drills. I keep thinking, right that's it, there simply are no more parts that need to have paint, rust, dirt, oil and other non-desirable matter removed. I keep thinking I have done the final vacuum clean (industrial style) in the workshop ..... I keep being proved wrong!!!

Jim attacked the better of the two petrol tanks, it really seems in quite good order. This is just as well as the other tank is in a truly parlous state!!! Patches soldered on, patches bolted on .... severe rust pitting and of course dents galore. This tank is for sale if anyone is interested!!! To get back to Jim, the tank cleaned up very well and is now in primer. Needless to say the fuel level gauge is non existent, but there are various ways around that and it is nowhere on the priorities list!!! In the meantime I decided to remove the bonnet main hinge to have it re-chromed. The hinge pin came out easily enough .... copious amounts of penetrating fluid and a couple of good hits started it moving. Jim has a standard procedure once it has started .... secure the end of the hinge pin in the chuck of a drill and simply spin it out. It worked a treat despite my misgivings!! With the pin out and the bonnet in two halves it was easy to see how the female elements of the hinge are attached ....  the edge of the (aluminium) bonnet is folded over and the double thickness brass sheet of the formed hinge is clenched under the folded aluminium. Not the easiest thing to release, so a quick call for advice which elicited the response .... " don't touch it if you don't have to!!!!". It seems the aluminium and/or brass crack when you try to release the clenched materials resulting in a useless hinge and a damaged bonnet. So we left well alone!!

Next clean up the wheels (we're hoping to need those soon!!) and the front brake back plates. More muck and bullets all over everything in the workshop. However, there are now four wheels, with tyres apparently holding air and one cleaned back plate ... the other one I hope to do during the week!!! The back plates will not be put on the car immediately, it will go for spraying without brakes, but it will be good to have everything ready to go on its return.

A couple of photos ...

Andy

* Gussie petrol tank with Jim.JPG (343.72 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 305 times.)

* Gussie bonnet, main hinge pin removed.JPG (480.67 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 333 times.)

* Gussie bonnet, main hinge pin removed, top view.jpg (340.52 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 348 times.)

* Gussie bonnet main hinge attachment detail.jpg (248.47 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 325 times.)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #115 on: 04 July, 2016, 04:27:15 PM »

Oops, poor Jim .... mind you, he does look better face down. However the levitation is a step too far!!

I will have one go at getting it right, if that doesn't work, just turn your screen through 90!!!

Andy

* Gussie petrol tank with Jim.JPG (244.29 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 311 times.)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #116 on: 04 July, 2016, 04:28:20 PM »

Oops again ..... time to turn your screen through 90!!!

Andy
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #117 on: 04 July, 2016, 08:30:31 PM »

Nice ... didn't know that they had aluminium bonnets

Like the hinge-pin removal trick

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #118 on: 07 July, 2016, 01:53:05 PM »

Oops, poor Jim .... mind you, he does look better face down. However the levitation is a step too far!!

Andy

And working late with the looks of it (7:13), or was it early?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #119 on: 13 July, 2016, 07:45:43 AM »

Time to get the shell off the rotisserie. The front was easy, after all, I had practised this!!! The only thing different on this occasion (last Saturday) was that on Friday my GP advised me that I was not to lift anything heavy or exert myself .... it seems I have a double hernia!! Good thing I did not know about that when I went to get the Appia gearbox three days earlier!!! Not that they are that heavy. So all went well, but a little slower and I had to ask Jim to help lift the front axle into place.
Then it was time to sort out the rear axle. The first task was to lower the shell on the rotisserie onto a modified trolley. We had assembled the rear shackle bushes ... a Morris Parry design utilising nylatron in place of the roller bearings in the originals. It was quite a task to press  these into the housings on the shell, but those in the spring eyes were relatively easy using the vice. The springs were were then installed on the rear shackles without any problems, but unfortunately we were beaten at the front as there was paint in the threads for the through bolts. Typical Lancia to use fine threaded bolts, so that will have to wait be finished when Jim has found the tap.
Time for some photographs ....

Andy

* Gussie front end off rotisserie final time!.JPG (386.44 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 289 times.)

* Gussie rear spring bush before peening over.JPG (365.89 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 279 times.)

* Gussie rear spring bush peened over, end view.JPG (327.66 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 302 times.)

* Gussie rear spring bush peened over 3.4 view.JPG (376.28 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 279 times.)

* Gussie rear spring bush in shell, sharper.JPG (386.25 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 280 times.)

* Gussie rear spring bushes installed, close up.JPG (335.37 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 290 times.)

* Gussie rear spring hanging on rear shackle, close up.JPG (357.85 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 299 times.)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd