Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 09:50:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Augusta Story  (Read 85320 times)
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 14 January, 2015, 07:13:52 AM »

Andy

I always assumed from our discussions that you had used your B20 back in the '70's, and that your Gussie was a sort of runner, again that you had regularly used at some point, that just needed a bit of TLC. It's only dawned on me reading this thread that you bought them both as projects. Funny how assumptions form in one's mind!

Neil

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 14 January, 2015, 08:59:22 AM »

Hi Neil, hope you are well and the coupe is behaving.

The B20 was bought as a 'runner' although it was quite temperamental. The cause was eventually traced to very silted up fuel lines in the vicinity of the fuel tank. This was discovered only after removing the tank. Then there was the failed oil seal that allowed oil into the rear drums and the stripped gears in the wiper mechanism that resulted in clashing wiper blades ..... I could go on !!!!!

The Gussie was bought for restoration, seized engine, non existent brakes and a piece of hardboard in place of a bootlid!!! Stupidity in the halcyon days of youth when everything seemed possible, even with little money, but at least some time. Then came children, immediately even the little money disappeared and any spare time was spent recovering from the last incident and/or resting up ready for the next one.

Hopefully I will be able to put the necessary resources together now to complete both ........ time will tell.

Andy
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 21 January, 2015, 11:26:41 PM »

On the 11th I promised an vehicle swap, B20 to the garage and Gussie to the workshop. I am pleased to say that yesterday it happened. All done and dusted in less than 2 hours. Jim popped along to check that I did not damage the B20 bodywork on which he has lavished so much attention, not to mention blood and sweat together with a not inconsiderable amount of cursing and swearing!!

The first photograph shows the B20 in the street outside the workshop, the first time it has been out in the open since it went into the workshop on 26th April 2010. Nearly 5 years, I hope Lynn never works out that one and I hope the Gussie will not be in there for that long. A fresh look at the Gussie sills after the talk of front axles falling off makes me think there will be quite a bit of work to do ... the good news is that Jim seems quite up for it, he has even bought himself yet another angle grinder!!

The other photographs show the cars at home, self evident are the B20 and the Gussie, the Y10 is under the car cover on the drive and the white blob, just visible in the garage, is the Appia under a selection of dust sheets.

Today I started to remove the engine ancillaries and drained the brake fluid in readiness for removal of the engine with the gearbox and then the front axle. It will not be possible to mount the car on the rotisserie so, to give ease of access,  the car will lifted at the front by about 1m which should put the front of the sills at about chest height.

The engine was rebuilt about 10 years ago, so I think it would be prudent to at least remove the head to check things out whilst it is out of the car and everything is readily accessible.

I will add more as interesting things happen ...

Andy

* photo (87).JPG (497.4 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 536 times.)

* photo (86).JPG (423.51 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 537 times.)

* photo (85).JPG (441.67 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 489 times.)

* photo (84).JPG (445.14 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 521 times.)
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #18 on: 22 January, 2015, 09:22:50 AM »

Well done! Always nice to see a plan well executed!

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #19 on: 22 January, 2015, 09:37:12 AM »

Well done!!  I know from visiting both places its tight and quite steep.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #20 on: 22 January, 2015, 09:42:33 AM »

The last photo reminds me of a time long ago when I towed my brother in a derelict Augusta behind my B20 until we got half way up  Srtreatley hill, when the B20's clutch refused to cooperate any further. We had to reverse and turn round to find a flatter way back to Chieveley.
Regards, John
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #21 on: 22 January, 2015, 11:21:42 AM »

The last photo reminds me of a time long ago when I towed my brother in a derelict Augusta behind my B20 until we got half way up  Srtreatley hill, when the B20's clutch refused to cooperate any further. We had to reverse and turn round to find a flatter way back to Chieveley.
Regards, John

The thought of being towed in a derelict Augusta fills me with horror!

However, I do remember being towed in a B20 with somewhat suspect brakes. We softened this blow, both literally and metaphorically, by hanging an old tyre on the back of the tow car!!

Andy
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #22 on: 22 January, 2015, 02:00:49 PM »

A logistical nightmare Andy!

Even as a bare shell in primer....the B20 has a purposeful look to it........not saying that the Augusta doesn't!!!!

P

Frank Gallagher
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #23 on: 24 January, 2015, 09:46:30 PM »

Wednesday saw me starting to remove the ancillaries and disconnect cables etc in readiness for removal of the engine. Thursday saw more of the same and on Friday I loosened the engine mountings.

Today was engine removal day, unfortunately Jim was not able to attend. Despite that nothing is broken .... at least, so far as I am aware nothing is broken.

I am a firm believer that the best way to remove an engine, if the layout permits, is to drop the engine onto a sheet of ply on the floor then lift the front of the car to allow the engine to be slid out from under it on the ply. That is what I did today. It went fairly well except that the propshaft jammed between the couplings. I had undone the gearbox spider at the front Hardy Spider coupling, but I had not realised that it was still jammed in position. To drop the Gussie engine it must be released and then moved rearwards in the chassis some 50mm to allow the crank pulley to clear the front cross-member and the engine mounts to clear the sills that widen rearwards in the engine bay. With the propshaft jammed in place the engine would not move back, that cost me 30mins of great frustration. Having undone the rear coupling the propshaft dropped down out of the way  and things were straightforward after that. I used the engine crane to lift the body clear of the engine, but kept it propped as well. With the engine out of the way it was time to start on the axle. First off were the wheels followed by the brake drums, shoes, cylinders and then the back plates,

It takes somewhat longer to do than it does to write it, but it was all done in 7 hours. 

I hope the photographs help .....

Andy

* photo (88).JPG (370.77 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 481 times.)

* photo (89).JPG (564.38 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 494 times.)

* photo (90).JPG (410.48 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 494 times.)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #24 on: 24 January, 2015, 09:49:48 PM »

Three more photographs .....

David, please will you rotate them where necessary for me as you have done in the past, thank you.

Andy

* photo (91).JPG (466.17 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 554 times.)

* photo (92).JPG (496.19 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 486 times.)

* photo (93).JPG (459.53 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 498 times.)
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #25 on: 24 January, 2015, 09:59:10 PM »

* photo (88) - Copy.JPG (244.4 KB, 968x1296 - viewed 447 times.)
« Last Edit: 24 January, 2015, 10:04:51 PM by DavidLaver » Logged

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #26 on: 24 January, 2015, 10:06:18 PM »

* photo (89) r1.JPG (377.23 KB, 968x1296 - viewed 480 times.)

David Laver, Lewisham.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #27 on: 24 January, 2015, 10:35:37 PM »

Thank you David. I really do not have the faintest idea why some of the photographs appear on their side. I just appreciate you putting it right for me.

Andy
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #28 on: 25 January, 2015, 10:54:33 PM »

Well, yesterday was out with the engine and today was to be off with the front axle.

The plan was to simply release the steering linkage and undo the 6 bolts securing the front axle to the sills. So simple in principle, but fraught with potential difficulties. After all, what can go wrong with undoing bolts that most probably have not been touched since they were tightened in Turin in 1935!!!!

The car was supported on an axle stand and a trolley jack under the sills in the region of the A posts with the engine crane providing additional support to the front axle and the front of the car.

In fact, although 1 bolt sheared it was all remarkably straightforward and trouble free. The steering linkage was readily released and the other 5 bolts securing the axle, although very tight, all came undone without any problem.

The axle was then lowered away for further attention.

Attention then turned to the body. I wanted to remove all loads from the sills forward of the A posts and to achieve this a workmate was placed under the cruciform part of the chassis. Careful inspection of the photographs will reveal that the workmate was turned round to give more direct support to the body loads. Doing this proved that it is possible, having removed the engine and front axle, for a pensioner to lift the front of a Gussie whilst support is re-arranged!!!!

I got on with removing steerage links from the axle while Jim tackled the sills. We had realised that the previous repairs I had carried out to the sills by a supposedly professional restoration company in the 70s were not up to scratch and Jim set about removing paint and filler to reveal the extent of the problems. The last photograph shows nearly 10mm of filler over poorly shaped (two straights cranked where there should be a smooth curve) repair patches welded on top of the rusty original metal. It is possible to see where the repair piece is standing proud from the original steel be about 1mm .... unbelievable!!! Jim will continue to investigate over the coming days.

The steering links were easily removed thanks to a little advice from Chugga and new Silentbloc bushes will be obtained (good old Robush).

That is it for now, I am very pleased with the progress that has been made, after all, the Gussie only arrived in the workshop on Tuesday.

Andy

* photo (94).JPG (505.04 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 512 times.)

* photo (95).JPG (462.46 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 476 times.)

* photo (96).JPG (488.79 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 457 times.)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #29 on: 25 January, 2015, 10:59:06 PM »

Three more photographs.

The second photograph shows the sliding pillar/steering link joint. This was where Chugga's help was needed. Heat and a hammer ... simples!!

Andy

* photo (98).JPG (468.25 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 457 times.)

* photo (99).JPG (497.81 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 455 times.)

* photo (100).JPG (538.91 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 472 times.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd