Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:01:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows  (Read 3831 times)
John B
Lapsed

« on: 28 November, 2014, 04:04:33 PM »

Both the rear windows in my Series 3 Appia only go down halfway - am I wasting my time investigating this apparent problem
if this is how it's meant to be?
I have removed a door panel etc and I can see no reason why the glass will not go all the way down.
Access is very limited and I am considering cutting an additional inspection hole (see pic) because even if the windows are working correctly I want to replace all the seals and channels and even trying to get the glass free from the winding mechanism bracket is going to be tricky.

All hints. tips and advice gratefully received.
John

* 001.JPG (377.65 KB, 1408x1056 - viewed 426 times.)

1961 Appia S3
1969 Fiat 850 Special
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 28 November, 2014, 07:20:17 PM »

Both the rear windows in my Series 3 Appia only go down halfway - am I wasting my time investigating this apparent problem
if this is how it's meant to be?
I have removed a door panel etc and I can see no reason why the glass will not go all the way down.
Access is very limited and I am considering cutting an additional inspection hole (see pic) because even if the windows are working correctly I want to replace all the seals and channels and even trying to get the glass free from the winding mechanism bracket is going to be tricky.

All hints. tips and advice gratefully received.
John
John,
My Fulvia 2c Berlina is exactly the same, it's due to the shape of the Rear wheelarch that intrudes into the door, making it impossible for the glass to go all the way down, I don't mind as it stops my Dachshunds getting their noses too far out into the slipstream!
If it's the same as my Fulvia the channel where the glass drops is held in place by tiny screws and they're a real pig to get back in place, so much so that I stuck mine back in.
Also getting the glass out of the Fulvia doors is a real pain needing 3 hands!
I'd suggest that you look to see if you can unscrew the weatherstrip channels in the door, I found this was necessary to give me enough room to manoeuvre the glass out to replace the channel, although at first sight your mechanism looks like it might be a lot simpler than the Fulvia Smiley

Brian
8227 Cool

* img523.pdf (481.05 KB - downloaded 208 times.)
« Last Edit: 28 November, 2014, 07:22:54 PM by fay66 » Logged

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
John B
Lapsed

« Reply #2 on: 28 November, 2014, 08:47:12 PM »

Thanks for your reply Brian, I also thought that the wheel arch profile was a limiting factor but by almost standing on my head
and trying to look up into the door cavity it appears the glass should be able to come down a few inches more than it is presently is.
So.....is there something, like a secret screw,  hidden in the guide channel acting as a stop?

I've yet to work out how to remove the glass, the workshop manual just says remove the winder mechanism and, for the rear window, take the glass out of the top of the door. For the front door the glass has to be removed from the bottom.....I've tried this and unless I want to risk either bending the inner door skin or breaking the glass it can stay where it is for now!

1961 Appia S3
1969 Fiat 850 Special
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 01 December, 2014, 01:50:04 AM »

John,
Sorry I can't help any further as I've no Appia experience, but come on you Appia owners, surely one of you know the answers Huh?
However for what it's worth here's a couple of thoughts,I can't see that there would be a hidden screw in the channel, but as the channel is usually made of covered metal perhaps there's corrosion at the bottom of the channel that is stopping the glass dropping any further, are you sure there isn't a bracket with a felt pad screwed to the inner panel at all, as that's a normal way of fitting a drop glass stop on older cars.
Regarding getting the front glass out at the bottom, if you wind the glass down you should see how the glass is attached to the winder mechanism, if you look at my marked up photo of my door mechanism, I had to remove the rollers from the channel to get the glass out, which is why it was such a pig of a job.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 01 December, 2014, 03:01:33 PM »

Finally got out to the garage - everything been boarded up because of risk of flooding. When it does rain , it REALLY rains ....

So on mine, the windows go nearly all the way down, leaves about 2 inches showing. I had a look at the frames etc and I don't think it can go much further. On the other side it doesn't go as far because the furry channel thing has disintegrated and blocks the channel. Maybe that's what has happened to yours ??

* IMG_1581.jpg (40.88 KB, 478x640 - viewed 455 times.)

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
John B
Lapsed

« Reply #5 on: 01 December, 2014, 04:11:53 PM »

Thanks for the photo Simon, it certainly looks like I have some sort of problem with mine as they only go about halfway down.
My furry channel thingys have seen better days and are in need of replacement but I have tried to check the gap near the bottom of the channels with a long thin screwdriver and it seems OK.   
I think the next step will be to cut a new inspection hole in the door skin, maybe then I will be able to see if a stop bracket has been fitted somewhere.

While we're on the subject of windows ......... how is the glass secured in the bottom channel that's attached to the winder mechanism?
Is there a special adhesive or is it just a tight fit?

1961 Appia S3
1969 Fiat 850 Special
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd