Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 01:19:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Flaminia and Aurelia differential set-up.  (Read 2758 times)
Jay
Megaposter

« on: 17 November, 2014, 02:10:06 PM »

The reason of putting Aurelia in the title is that I am assuming the theory is the same for both transaxles, and I know how knowledgeable the Aurelia guys are.

Having completely striped my Flaminia transaxle replacing many parts, splitting the case, measuring where everything sits, replacing the input shaft front bearing (although the new SKF 40x90x23 bearing has just as much play as the old one), it’s time to rebuild.

As I didn’t disturbed the differential just the pinion, and it’s rock solid in the casing, I would imagine there is no adjustments I need to do, apart from testing how square the ring gear and check it for wobble, which are both fine. Having replaced the main shaft back into its original position and checked the meshing pattern which looks good. Great tip I used chalk and Vaseline mixed for gear marking paste.

The only measurement which seems high is the gap between pinion and ring gear, the manual says it should be .05mm, but moving the ring gear back and forth it seems larger than this, although bolting up the case will give a better indication. However it seems about the same when I tested it before splitting the case.  
Any other advice, is there much else I can check, as there seems to be no pinion or ring gear preload adjustment, or am I missing a trick.

Once completed I will post some pics and comments.                    

* Transaxle.jpg (333.26 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 407 times.)

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 24 November, 2014, 02:46:25 PM »

After some reading and emailing, Jaan at Eddins Moto was a great. The box is rebuilt with less than original specified preload, as generally consensus is that as bearings loosen up with age and re-preloading back to original levels can cause more troubles. The same with the backlash as mentioned before 0.05mm seems very tight compared with other manufactures, so running about 3 times that at 0.17mm (measured on the ring gear), which feels about the same as before. With the meshing patterns looking well distributed across both surfaces of the ring gear.         

* Mesh pattern.jpg (316.62 KB, 667x1000 - viewed 428 times.)

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd