Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:21:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel pump  (Read 12284 times)
dannels
Megaposter

« on: 28 October, 2014, 12:34:12 PM »

Hi All,

I'm having reliability issues with my recently rebuilt mechanical fuel pump - i'm not sure if its air in the system or the pump is just too weedy...or both

I'm considering adding an electric fuel pump - but have a few questions...

What type do people recommend - Faucet silver top with a pressure regulator?

Where do people position the pump? If its in the boot/near the fuel tank then it only pumps one of the two fuel lines - so do people site them in the engine bay?

All words of wisdom appreciated...

Cheers
Dave

1961 Flaminia GT, 1966 Matra Djet V
Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 28 October, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »

Hi Dave

The 3C had an electric pump in the rear n/s wing compartment, one that has the filler tube in, it then pumps a loop/return system with a Filter-king type glass filter and regulator in the engine bay.  Not sure how the pump and plumping has been set-up in the boot, as I spend more under the bonnet, but can have a look later.     

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 28 October, 2014, 03:23:19 PM »

Hi Dave

The Berlina has an electric pump in the boot br the filler pipe too.

Frank
dannels
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 31 October, 2014, 02:55:15 PM »

I'm still not clear how a pump in the boot can pump both pipes from the fuel tank or is it just pumping the main not the reserve?

On another note I've gone for electronic ignition and have got myself completely confused when I removed my distributor cables. I took a note when I removed them of their position, but then looked at the workshop manual that gave a firing order of 1-4-3-6-5-2 - which is different from how I had it set up before....

My previous set up had 1-5-3-2-4-6 which is firing one side then the other - was this incorrect?? Is the workshop manual correct for all models? It also lists the order of the cylinders on each bank which seems different from mine (looking at the number stamped next to the plug)
From front to rear - on the right I have 1,3,5 and on the left 6,2,4

Can someone set me straight please?

Cheers
Dave

Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 31 October, 2014, 03:53:06 PM »

Hi Dave

It also doesn’t help that the dizzy cap has the firing order stamped on it whilst the cylinder heads are the cylinders numbers. This doesn’t mean that the HT leads are set out as 1 goes to 1, 2 goes to 2, etc. as that would give you a nasty misfire.  But what I do remember is that it is close but you have to swap 2 of the 6 HT cables around.

I don’t have any documentation at work but have it written down at home so will post tonight, also I will have a look at fuel pump over the weekend when it’s light.

My weekend job is splitting the gearbox, when I took the transaxle out I tested box by turning the input shaft in each gear including reverse, counting the output shafts rotations, it seemed smooth and fine. So rebuilt the clutch, brakes etc however when putting the clutch back on I was turning the input shaft and then realised it was in gear and discs were on blocks, so why was I able to turn the shaft?

My only conclusion is either the gear on the input shaft or front gear on the main lower shaft is spinning on their shaft.      
« Last Edit: 31 October, 2014, 10:04:14 PM by Jay » Logged

dannels
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 31 October, 2014, 05:48:22 PM »

Thanks!

You need to try with the wheels on and on the ground. If it still turns when you are in gear then it's an issue. Turning when there's no weight on them is normal.

Cheers
Dave

Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 31 October, 2014, 07:20:51 PM »

I'm still not clear how a pump in the boot can pump both pipes from the fuel tank or is it just pumping the main not the reserve?

On another note I've gone for electronic ignition and have got myself completely confused when I removed my distributor cables. I took a note when I removed them of their position, but then looked at the workshop manual that gave a firing order of 1-4-3-6-5-2 - which is different from how I had it set up before....

My previous set up had 1-5-3-2-4-6 which is firing one side then the other - was this incorrect?? Is the workshop manual correct for all models? It also lists the order of the cylinders on each bank which seems different from mine (looking at the number stamped next to the plug)
From front to rear - on the right I have 1,3,5 and on the left 6,2,4

Can someone set me straight please?

Cheers
Dave

I am also not clear about how a single pump would provide delivery to both fuel and reserve pipes? Here is my setup from the "Flaminia" thread

* pump.jpg (30.89 KB, 640x480 - viewed 888 times.)
« Last Edit: 31 October, 2014, 07:31:50 PM by Richard Fridd » Logged

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 31 October, 2014, 09:21:48 PM »

HT setup, as mentioned above the numbers on the dizzy are the firing order

Looking at the engine with fan nearest you the cylinders are numbered

6       5
4       3
2       1
   Fan

So the HT leads are connected as follows, with the dizzy #1 roughly at 1 o’clock position and going clock wise 

Dizzy      Cylinder
1     to      1
5     to      5
3     to      3
2     to      4
4     to      6
6     to      2

But will double check this over the weekend.

Regarding the gearbox it’s still out the car, but i can turn the input shaft with the discs stationary in all gears, so must be a major problem.

dannels
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 01 November, 2014, 08:51:43 AM »

Thanks Julian,

I can see where the confusion is happening - (apart from the manual!)- my cylinders are stamped as follows:

4.    5
2.    3
6.    1

Fan

Cheers
Dave

dannels
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 02 November, 2014, 09:45:35 AM »

Thanks Richard,

Do you recommend the faucet pump? Where is it connected - to the main fuel line?

Cheers
Dave

Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 02 November, 2014, 10:30:49 AM »

Yes.In the main fuel line with pressure regulator.

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
GG
Megaposter

« Reply #11 on: 02 November, 2014, 12:35:50 PM »

Isn't it that the distributor cap simply has the firing sequence of the cap on it? And The cylinders are numbered on the heads.

You put the two together as needed (per the manual with the firing order. The confusion is that people expect the dist cap to be numbered as the firing order (for the cylinders) which it is not. If you take the dist cap off and check it from below, this becomes clearer.

B20 s.2, Appia C10, Flavia 2000
dannels
Megaposter

« Reply #12 on: 02 November, 2014, 03:45:03 PM »

The confusion is the manual states a certain firing order but the cylinder numbers are not necessarily the same on each car... Mine are stamped differently than Jays for example

Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #13 on: 02 November, 2014, 04:46:37 PM »

Moving on to fuel pumps, I have a facet ( i guess it’s a silver top) mounted on the inner wheel arch on looks like the original rubber mounts. There are 2 metal pipes that pop through the boot floor, the rear comes from the tank and is plumbed into the bottom ‘in’ of the pump and the front comes from the ‘out’, which goes to the engine bay regulator.

In the engine bay it passes through a Filter King type filter and regulator and then off to the centre carb banjo, its the pipe in the forground of the picture.

So no return system.......    

* engine bay.jpg (431.01 KB, 1340x1005 - viewed 534 times.)

* fuel pump.jpg (467.3 KB, 1336x1002 - viewed 533 times.)
« Last Edit: 04 November, 2014, 09:10:20 PM by Jay » Logged

Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 02 November, 2014, 05:14:42 PM »

Nice carbs. I now understand how the fuel and reserve pipes function, with a pump being mounted at the front of the car, thank you.
« Last Edit: 23 March, 2021, 08:35:28 AM by Richard Fridd » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd