Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:20:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Workshop gloves  (Read 6935 times)
smithymc

1976 Beta coupe - Chocolate Lime

« on: 09 October, 2014, 03:45:52 PM »

I am interested to know what other people wear?

I have some thin rubberised gloves ( Ansell from Screwfix) that are good, but see mechanics wearing what look like surgical gloves. Those I have tried from Machine Mart disintegrate upon touching anything remotely sharp.

Just interested what works for others - I don't mind dirty hands/nails up to a point but my work demands otherwise in terms of presentation.

Mark

Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 09 October, 2014, 04:08:51 PM »

Hi Mark

I am the same, I hate having to scrub my nails, so firstly I use barrier cream, I bought a tub from a glass-fibre supplier years ago, it’s not the water base version, it’s a pinkie colour. I am running out and can’t seem to find it anymore, so if anyone has come across it let me know.

I make sure it up my arms and under my nails, I do get very messy.  Then for general work I use http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/car-maintenance-accessories/hygiene-and-protection/latex-and-nitrile-gloves/?543771020&0&cc5_859 although I get through at least 3 pairs a day, but they’re much better than latex, plus I wear them tight.

Then for more heavy duty, bought some thick nitrile gloves with a cloth inside from Lidl, I think they were about £2.5 a pair.

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 09 October, 2014, 04:59:08 PM »

Can do a lot in leather gardening gloves.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 09 October, 2014, 06:36:58 PM »

I use powdered latex gloves as much as I can. They are skin tight and fairly abrasion resistant (but hate wire brushes)

They do not like petrol, paraffin or white spirit but good with acetone, paints, light oil and grease. I go through a pair every 1 - 2 hrs roughly  (cost 6 euros/100 at Metro)

Having said that, if I am doing anything delicate , using masking tape or it is very warm, I don't use anything ....and take the risk

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 09 October, 2014, 10:01:17 PM »

Aldi builders gloves, rubber coated fabric or nothing, £2.99 for three pairs. Those latex and nitrile gloves seem to last about 10 minutes .... if I am lucky!!

Andy
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 10 October, 2014, 12:54:33 AM »

Aldi builders gloves, rubber coated fabric or nothing, £2.99 for three pairs. Those latex and nitrile gloves seem to last about 10 minutes .... if I am lucky!!

Andy
Andy,
I think it's a case of "you get what you pay for" I paid about £12 for a box of nitrile gloves about 6 months ago and to date I haven't had one split, whereas the powdered latex ones often split as I was pulling them on!

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #6 on: 10 October, 2014, 07:20:27 AM »

I have used Bodyguard Vinyl gloves (100 for £4.49 delivered) for a while now and find them not particular intrusive in terms of feel, but do last a reasonable time (i.e. half/full  day depending on what I am doing) and fairly resistant to chemicals such as thinners etc. Originally I did have an issue with some splitting on me and it is important not to get this sort of glove which is slightly too tight, you want them to just fit without any significant stretch.

The ones I bought recently

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181515192896?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=480471984329&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 10 October, 2014, 08:11:30 AM »

Aren't the gloves which fall to pieces, designed to do so in the presence of perspiration, to force a change in order to prevent dermatitis?

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 10 October, 2014, 08:51:34 AM »

Aren't the gloves which fall to pieces, designed to do so in the presence of perspiration, to force a change in order to prevent dermatitis?
No they fall to pieces due to petrol etc. If working with petrol for cleaning down I use a pair or cheap (£6 per box 100) vinyl gloves over the nitryl blue ones (£6 per box). These are getting better but I still find they split across the palm a lot. I must get through a few boxes in the year. Always carry several pairs in the car tool kit as well which need replacing from time to time. I have given up on the latex ones preferring the nitrile (doubled up if working on areas like suspension).

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 10 October, 2014, 11:16:32 AM »

I also get through boxes of feeble gloves - "decorator grade" I suppose.  I'd thought about the better ones mechanics have but what I like about frequent glove changes is that you get back to clean again.  Sweat is another issue, when painting I get a couple of wears out of each pair but cycle them to dry out.

An interesting thread and I will give some tougher ones a go...

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #10 on: 13 October, 2014, 01:27:04 PM »

A glove for every occasion http://www.justgloves.co.uk/ 

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 17 October, 2014, 03:37:34 PM »

I used about 4 pairs of Nitrile gloves yesterday cleaning up under the bonnet of a lady friends'  BMW MIni, it was filthy and needed wiping down with white spirit to get rid of the grease, so it was pretty tough work, only one Nitrile glove was damaged after catching on a clip, all the others were still in good condition, normally any gloves I'd used previously would have been knackered, in fact these were in so good a condition still that I washed them out, hung them out to dry, and they're now ready for re-use Grin

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
Tony Stephens

« Reply #12 on: 17 October, 2014, 09:42:23 PM »

Read a good US post today on winding your own small compression srings by using a slow speed electric drill and welding wire wrapped round a mandrel. I was just thinking "don't try this at home" when I read the words of wisdom: use welding gloves - if you use thin gloves, call the ambulance before you start so that they will arrive in time to stop the bleeding.

Thought I'd share that one with you.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 19 October, 2014, 12:34:30 AM »

Read a good US post today on winding your own small compression srings by using a slow speed electric drill and welding wire wrapped round a mandrel. I was just thinking "don't try this at home" when I read the words of wisdom: use welding gloves - if you use thin gloves, call the ambulance before you start so that they will arrive in time to stop the bleeding.

Thought I'd share that one with you.

Ouch Shocked

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd