Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 07:27:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many 1600HF?  (Read 40270 times)
FanaloneMan
« Reply #30 on: 20 September, 2007, 01:42:42 PM »

DiLamdaman  Smiley

There's fab article in a magazine (car & car conversions me thinks  Huh?  that has your car. I got my copy from ebay but if you want I will photocopy it for you or perhaps send you the link on ebay when it becomes available but you probably have it already.

My car is in Italy safely garaged. My brother overtook my only other garage in UK so I can't use that until he vacates it but what I did the last time I was with her to take some of the paint off the cam cover to use as a sample for my paint guy to make a copy of. The paint on the cover is peeling anyway and I don't think it have ever been repainted.  When I have the right colour, I will let you know perhaps it can be recreated elsewhere. Strange thing I noticed though, where I took the paint off I have both colours on both sides.

Fortunately, although my car is race prepared - not to group 4 or anything like that - it hasn't has quite the hard life as yours although I'm really happy that CUC has a great home now :-) she certainly has got a very good history which is important with these cars.

Sorry to have hijacked this thread a touch  Roll Eyes  I feel that unless you ask Lancia directly and I'm sure there was a means by asking FIAT about chassis numbers & the like, they are the only people who really know about how many 740/1 or 540/1 cars there are. I can't remember quite how to do it so  maybe someone here know and could let us know?

The homologation papers (3006?) I have and can translate to a certain degree aren't really very much help as they homologate the car as a 115CV not 132CV - which would have been nice but off he top of my head I think there were a few 'suspect' items like the cams and the wheels.

Whatever the colour of the Dilambda - it's GORGEOUS!!!!

I've also seen what I think may be Fulvia Sport Competitzione in a alsolutely gorgeous lime green. Without having checked, I don't know what that colour is. The guy I bought my car from was a member of HF club Italy and I have a photo of him in his HF (sky) blue? car - what other colour could it be? and his friend with the Fulvia Sport - both LHD I'm afraid :p

1,6 HF
« Reply #31 on: 20 September, 2007, 05:09:19 PM »

I warned you, Anoraks abound Shocked

Brian, it's less a matter of trainspotting than of trying to get the cars right. At least right enough to satisfy ourselves.

I don't think any of us would bother with either arcana or archaeology if there were even one source that had information that wasn't compromised by the inconvenient presence of physical evidence to the contrary. Or evidence that is itself so contradictory to make any definitive assertion impossible. Doesn't help, of course, that the factory lied through their teeth with anything involving homologation of the cars for competition. Doesn't help either that their record-keeping doesn't actually merit that term.

I also don't think any of us would bother with these arguments--we'd happily just get on with it--if we knew in any given case just what to get on with. People like Neil Cundy are really trying to do a proper restoration without benefit of a genuinely accurate map. That he’s succeeding as well as he is seems to me as testimony to the benefits of some latent anorak tendencies. Further, if none of us points out incorrect or contradictory information, then that incorrect information is endorsed by mere repetition.

I don't have any interest in passing judgment on what anyone decides to do with their car. I don't think anyone here is aiming for Villa d'Este or Pebble Beach (pace, Neil). My own car would never qualify; it’s a non-original color (which occasionally bothers me, but not nearly enough to correct at this point) and it has some incorrect equipment, such as Weber DCOEs (which I wouldn’t change back to those crap Solexes at any point). But even if I’m entirely prepared to live with something that’s wrong, I do at least want to know what’s correct. As much as reasonably possible. I’ll zip up that anorak now.

Ed
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #32 on: 20 September, 2007, 05:46:12 PM »

Ops - sorry FanaloneMan, all fingers and thumbs when I quoted that !
The minor dials from S2 have pictures not script, so no good, I have tried to get some from ebay ( I have a spare but it is no better than mine (i.e. half the script missing or damaged) - but I keep my eyes open.
Ed you are right when you talk about Pebble Beach standards, to me that is the automotive equivalent of plastic surgery and I don't have a polishing fetish ! Then it will get driven.

Back on topic, when I bought my car the owner who had many other cars (including an ex-works Fanalone) and seemed well connected, was quite insistent that that a) I wasn't a dealer and b) it would stay LHD. Neither a problem to me but why LHD ? Because, he said there is an ex-pat Italian in Australia who has been doing a tidy business taking LHD from Italy, converting them to RHD and selling them in Australia and Japan - not huge numbers but half a dozen or so over the years. No idea if this is true but he was sure.

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #33 on: 20 September, 2007, 06:35:40 PM »

One of the six superb Fulvia Coupes on display at the Covent Garden Piazza gathering last Sunday was Ian Collier’s RHD 1.6HF ‘Fanalone’, RMA 349H - looking absolutely lovely in ‘Jamaica Blue’. This is surely one of the 20 (or 30?) original RHD cars.

What many would not have known is that prior to restoration this car was used competitively in the 1970s by Dave Scheldt. Here are two pictures of the same car being driven by Dave – the first at a Goodwood sprint meeting and another in the next post, racing somewhere.

Perhaps we need to start a new thread – maybe ‘Fulvias then and now…’ as a space to exhibit old and newer photos? More anon.

Colin   

* IMGP2563a.jpg (110.28 KB, 768x519 - viewed 495 times.)
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #34 on: 20 September, 2007, 06:36:35 PM »

And now the second:

* IMGP2561a.jpg (105.33 KB, 768x537 - viewed 523 times.)
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #35 on: 20 September, 2007, 06:52:43 PM »

Super photo's. I know of three RHD Fanalone's in the Midlands (all genuine). For a bit of money I think we could get the info from the DVLA of what was originally sold.

1,6 HF
« Reply #36 on: 20 September, 2007, 07:56:20 PM »

...Because, he said there is an ex-pat Italian in Australia who has been doing a tidy business taking LHD from Italy, converting them to RHD and selling them in Australia and Japan - not huge numbers but half a dozen or so over the years. No idea if this is true but he was sure.

Niel, that story is indeed true. About a year ago, before I bought my Fanalone, I was in contact with a fellow in OZ who was selling an S2 1600HF whose chassis number indicated it was LHD. Except that it wasn't. It had been converted to RHD, but was presently being restored, and the owner was certain it could be converted back to LHD if I was interested. I wasn't.

More recently, I've been in contact with another owner there who has an RHD Fanalone 'lusso' in Rosso La Plata metallic. That car was originally shipped new to OZ, but apparently turned down by the customer, who had ordered it in 'red', not realizing that red for a 'lusso' could mean the darker metallic red--not rosso corsa. But there's one more original RHD Fanalone for the tally.
FanaloneMan
« Reply #37 on: 20 September, 2007, 08:56:31 PM »

...and of course there was a absolutely stunning Fanalone in yellow in OZ that was auctioned recently

wow!!! The link still works  Grin

http://www.shannons.com.au/pages/auctions/lot.jsp?id=Q8UAF1QYEKA955K2#
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #38 on: 20 September, 2007, 09:45:07 PM »

DiLamdaman  Smiley

There's fab article in a magazine (car & car conversions me thinks  Huh?  that has your car. I got my copy from ebay but if you want I will photocopy it for you or perhaps send you the link on ebay when it becomes available but you probably have it already.

Fortunately, although my car is race prepared - not to group 4 or anything like that - it hasn't has quite the hard life as yours although I'm really happy that CUC has a great home now :-) she certainly has got a very good history which is important with these cars.

Thanks FanaloneMan for the offer. I tracked down an original copy of the Car & Car Conversions test on CUC 20H soon after my son acquired the car. Could make a suitable reprint for Viva Lancia! perhaps?

Since then I've collected a number of photos of it when Barry was rallying it, some provided by him. They show just how hard he campaigned it!

I also have a picture of the ex-works, ex-Jolly Club 1.3HF CJW 746H I owned and rallied with CUC in the background at the end of a rally. Last I heard the 1.3HF was being restored by club member Clive Goodsell but haven't heard anything for several years. Now that was a very special car, a 1.3HF fitted with one of the first piggy-back 5 speed gearboxes.

Robin.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #39 on: 20 September, 2007, 11:48:40 PM »

Brian, it's less a matter of trainspotting than of trying to get the cars right. At least right enough to satisfy ourselves

Ed,
Only Kidding, I'm probably as big an Anorak as any, get me going on Fulvia Series 1 Berlina or Dedra & I'll be at it for hours!
I am also concerned at having details correct, so please forgive me poking fun Sad

Brian

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
1,6 HF
« Reply #40 on: 21 September, 2007, 01:48:10 AM »

Brian

Probably more a case of my being just a bit too sensitive about it. No doubt it's all related to the dent in the wall of my library, about head height, next to my Lancia reference material...

Cheers,
Ed
1,6 HF
« Reply #41 on: 21 September, 2007, 02:16:46 AM »

I feel that unless you ask Lancia directly and I'm sure there was a means by asking FIAT about chassis numbers & the like, they are the only people who really know about how many 740/1 or 540/1 cars there are. I can't remember quite how to do it so  maybe someone here know and could let us know?

Here's the link for the Lancia Registro Storico: http://www.lanciaclubitalia.com/registro/index.html

They've been useless at dealing with any of my questions--either in English or Italian, either e-mail or phone--and pretty basic questions they were, too. Perhaps someone else will have better luck, but the Registro doesn't seem to have ready access to the production records--if those even exist at this point.

Ed
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #42 on: 21 September, 2007, 07:49:54 AM »

Ed,
You accurately describe my experience with Lancia Registro Storico. I gave up in the end. Andrea Nistri told me that the Fulvia production records were lost years ago. Never mind !

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #43 on: 22 September, 2007, 05:39:17 AM »

Ed,
You accurately describe my experience with Lancia Registro Storico. I gave up in the end. Andrea Nistri told me that the Fulvia production records were lost years ago. Never mind !

Just to back up what Neil says, I was told by Tim Speechley at Fiat Uk, (who tries to answer questions on Lancia Build dates for DVLA Purposes as part of his remit) that the Lancia Fulvia records were lost a long time ago in flooding.

I would like to register my 2c with Lancia Registro Storica & I have the forms, but being a total dumbo since school days in foreign Languages, I can't figure out how to fill it in Huh?

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
1,6 HF
« Reply #44 on: 22 September, 2007, 06:23:10 AM »

Just to back up what Neil says, I was told by Tim Speechley at Fiat Uk, (who tries to answer questions on Lancia Build dates for DVLA Purposes as part of his remit) that the Lancia Fulvia records were lost a long time ago in flooding.

I would like to register my 2c with Lancia Registro Storica & I have the forms, but being a total dumbo since school days in foreign Languages, I can't figure out how to fill it in Huh?

Brian
8227 Cool

Well, that certainly confirms what I've heard elsewhere about the records.

The Registro Storico forms don't appear that tricky, although I haven't yet taken care of them myself. Aside from filling in your info and the vehicle info, you need photos of the front 3/4 view from both sides, and a photo of the chassis plate (actual color photos, not digital, 10 x 15 cm, glued to the reverse of the form--no staples).

You also need a photocopy of the receipt for payment of the fee (for which they give you a postal bank account). But there's a discrepancy in the two sets of instructions; one says the fee for non-members of Lancia Club Italia is 150 euros, while the other says 250 euros (unless I'm missing something). If you're a Lancia Club Italia member, both sets of instructions agree on a fee of 100 euros (of course if you were a member you'd probably be able to read the instructions yourself...)

Ed
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd