Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 April, 2024, 03:08:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KENNEDYS WIN MODENA CENTO ORE CLASSIC 2014  (Read 12121 times)
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 10 June, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »

One of the things I'm glad I did starting out was to ask scruitneers for "advisories".  Initially the cage mounting wasn't quite as they'd like, the seat mounting also, various pipe runs and loose wiring.  

Wheel nuts are a new one on me.  

They're keen to see bulk heads fully sealed.  I was surprised that Tim was able to run without a rear firewall.

David
« Last Edit: 10 June, 2014, 11:01:37 PM by DavidLaver » Logged

David Laver, Lewisham.
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 11 June, 2014, 06:34:23 AM »

Is it still the case that racesuits etc can be re validated with a 'check over' and new label from the maker?

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #17 on: 11 June, 2014, 08:35:35 AM »

I realize this is getting off topic but in my case I could have run the Aurelia with a standard seat, no belts and no cage. I would still have needed a helmet, suit, extinguisher etc. If I had, I doubt I'd be typing this now.
The reason for this is that my car is a 1954 model, and over here anything 'pre 55' is the same as pre war. I chose to fit everything as I sometimes (used to) compete in a 'pre 74' class.
In which case belts, seat, everything has to be within date, and changed when appropriate. The Hans Device has also been mooted for our class, although some drivers had problems trying to fit the required seat to accept the device.
The other issue is that some old racing cars simply cannot be driven properly by 'amateurs'. I seem to remember reading about qualifying times at the Monaco Historic, where some drivers of older 70/80's F1 cars could not negotiate the track even at a moderate speed, and were almost causing an obstruction to some of the ex professionals who race such cars.
A few years ago I had a few laps in a modern Lola sports racer (at Mondello), all carbon and paddle gearchange stuff. The acceleration and brakes were unbelievable, but I was a good bit slower than my instructor, who had many years more experience than me. I think that most 'historic' racers, who do it for fun, and because they have a particular make of car, tend to race within their own limits, rather than the cars limit. Its one thing driving a track, even at a decent pace, on your own, but quite different when in a pack of cars, all with different speed differentials, and all vying for the same space.
Tyre technology has improved vastly, and even 'modern' historic race tyres have far more grip than rubber from 60/70 years ago. Sometimes you need a car to slip and slide, rather than stay glued to the track, the strain on components can lead to all sorts of problems, especially when you reach the limit and lose adhesion.
Another point is that I think its only FIA sanctioned events need all the required regulations.

« Last Edit: 11 June, 2014, 08:38:01 AM by Kevin MacBride » Logged

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #18 on: 11 June, 2014, 08:36:39 AM »

David,
The thoroughness and diligence of the scrutineering varies enormously from event to event and there is absolutely no correlation between the size of the event and this diligence. If anything, in the UK I have found the larger the event the more relaxed the scrutineering is.

Regarding wheelnuts  Jason and Louise never had an issue with their brass wheelnuts for example.

As to seats, they may well be using non homologated seats (my passenger seat is non FIA), but there are very clear rules which cover this. I should also say that any equipment with a FIA approval rating will generally be safer and more robust than those without so why pennypinch with safety.
As to a rear firewall, this exists as standard in the form of the sealed boot floor as the tank is a separate entity beneath it. This comes up regularly at scrutineering. The tank breather pipe has to be modified to still allow the tank to breathe but to NOT leak fuel out whatever position the body of the car finds itself after a hypothetical accident.

BTW the part of scrutineering which always seems to be done properly wherever you are in my experience is the helmet/racesuit/shoes/gloves and occasionally underwear/socks/balaclava.
When Jason and Louise, Tim and I did our 'European tour' a few years ago to the Grand Prix de l'Age d'Or at Dijon and the Coppa Intereuropa at Monza we 3 Aurelias, all of which were slightly different and which were the only ones at the events, each had slightly different experiences with the diligence, policy and attitude of the scrutineers.

So in summary, there are very clear rules in the MSA Regs and the Race Organisers Regs which in theory cover everything on the car but the scrutineers, all of whom are enthusiasts and very few of whom are jobsworths, use their discretion from time to time.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #19 on: 11 June, 2014, 08:56:22 AM »

I still have 'dated' seats from my sprint days, not that thay were required in my class but once I'd fitted them and was strapped in as part of the car it made the steering feel so different. I was no longer using the wheel to stop myself sliding into the passenger seat! I've often wondered why they are dated and what can possibly deteriorate? The reason Chris gives that the FIA likes collecting money sounds about right. I try to go to the Grand Prix de l'Age D'or each year as it's about 1.5 hours away. I've missed a couple - bet those were the years when the Aurelias arrived! I would have liked to have seen that.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #20 on: 11 June, 2014, 10:08:20 AM »

Chris - I agree regarding seats and if ever I'm in the privileged position to "have another go" I expect I'd even go for the type with the wrap round headrest - but as before make it a five minute job to pull it out again after.

Kevin - you are so right to point out the car's limits and driver's limits are not one and the same - the Goodwood "double driver" events give the historic racers pause for thought when the VIP hotshots go a couple of seconds a lap quicker with no prior knowledge of the car or track.  Its also not uncommon for them to literally "drive the wheels off".

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #21 on: 11 June, 2014, 11:20:51 AM »

David,
The thoroughness and diligence of the scrutineering varies enormously from event to event and there is absolutely no correlation between the size of the event and this diligence.
Quite right! Years ago at the Nurburgring, when I was helping a friend with an ERA, the scrutineer saw the tiny fire extinguisher and said "Zat is just for killing flies!", but still allowed him to race.
Regards, John
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #22 on: 11 June, 2014, 11:47:06 AM »

Talking of car and driver limits I did discover the Fulvia was always better than me. On the odd occasion when maybe a missed gear might find me way past my usual braking and changing down point the Fulvia would enter a corner faster than ever before and come out without drama. As a driver I never really did find its limits, partly because I had to drive it home, partly because I'm not Sandro Munari....

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #23 on: 11 June, 2014, 12:31:27 PM »

The black cross in a yellow square is for a novice - something like ten clean races to get rid of that.  

National B licence needs a written exam and a practical on track test - they want to see you can drive with control at a reasonable pace and while doing that have mental capacity to listen to and respond to instructions.

To sprint or hillclimb its "by return of post".  I'm not even sure they ask for a medical.  Anyone up to date?  When I was racing I resisted having a medical at work for fear they would bar me from racing - turns out it was all stress related and nothing to worry about - ish!!   A previous life...

Some meeting require a National A or an International licence.  The Brighton Speed Trials requires an "A" licence - they don't let ANY idiot drag race down their seafront.

Being in the EEC and having UK clubs promote meetings at Spa and the like means its possible to race in another country without an International licence - its more the grade of meeting than the location.  There will be "international" meetings in the UK where there are no novices.  I expect the Monaco Historics would be Internation licences.  Its no ordinary meeting.   There will be pro drivers paid to "give the car a result" mixing with the owner drivers (money might buy the car, can buy experience, but won't buy reflexes or talent).  At that level I think the personalities are rather different to a "club race".  There might also be the "I won't get to do this again, I'm going to really go for it" as a factor coupled with the oddities of Monaco - lots of bumps and cambers and no margin for error.

The Kennedy's don't have to have race seats, cage, or even belts.  They have some non homologated buckets comfortable for the road  and more in keeping.  They have a cage and harnesses by choice and a full fire system.  The car has a modern fuel tank and fire wall.

On the Austin 7 the VSCC ask for a fire extinguisher, a battery master switch, and a sticker to show where the ignition switch is.  They give it a good check over and things like the sump plug has to be lock wired and the fuel filler safe.  Some strap in and some fit a roll hoop but its rare.  A chest protector of the type horse riders use is not unusual.  I used to ask those who looked and questioned the lack of belts as to which bit they wanted to share an accident with.   I used to think of it as "a big go kart" or "no worse than a horse".  The biggest fear is locking wheels and flipping but driving standards are higher than - say - 750MC Stock Hatch which is a bit more "BTCC".  Part of the appeal of historics is that most people are there for the car first and mutual care and respect is at a high level - people give each other space.

When I first went to watch the VSCC was still sports jackets and a cigar on the grid.  In 35 years its now full face helmets and a full race suit and gloves.

Its a spectrum.

Spending a day with marshals at a meeting counts for a signature.

David

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #24 on: 19 June, 2014, 09:46:28 PM »

Richard,
Ref your earlier post,
'Is it still the case that racesuits etc can be re validated with a 'check over' and new label from the maker?',
I think not as todays racesuits have labels (usually by the zip at chest level) AND embroidered FIA Certificatrion (on the outside of the suit at the rear of the collar).
Bit difficult to update the embroidery.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd