Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 02:47:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aurelia PF200  (Read 7289 times)
GG
Megaposter

GG
« Reply #15 on: 31 July, 2014, 02:17:46 AM »

Chris, I agree that the B20 berlinetta is THE shape that defines the Aurelia today. And also the best GT package.
However that PF200 spider was an important design statement from Pinin Farina, in the fifties.
I would argue that it has the same value for the fifties design houses, as the Stratos Zero from Bertone had in the seventies.
And the same reduced practicality compared to the series vehicles.

The discussion of the "ideal" or "best" Aurelia can be quite involving!
I must say the Aurelia which I have used most in the last 15 years has been the B50 cabriolet, there are a lot of reasons for that : comfortable cabriolet / place for 4 / excellent non original B12 engine / sweet gearchange / great IRS, so neutral handling, even with long wheelbase.
Then amongst the B20, I prefer driving the 3rd series, with IRS, to the 6th series, with its De Dion rear end - for the same reason, neutral handling on curvy roads. But I would love to experience sometime an early, 1st or 2nd series, 2l car.
And finally an early berlina is a very sweet car, surprisingly usable, endearing, and also still affordable - compared to the coupes.

Back in the day when the east coast members of the American Lancia Club used to meet more frequently, many an hour was spent on the debate of which was the best B20. Each of the series had their advocate, but the heated debates were between 4th and 6th. Ian Frasier's statement in Octane back a few years for the s.6 was a surprise, as one would have thought he would prefer the earlier purer cars, although the later were more refined.

In the "At the Center", there is a graphic outlining the various Aurelia motors, by series and by family. There were different families - berlinas, coupes, competition, etc. - and the motors were designed and tuned for each differently, followed by developments within the family. So, for example, if you liked a berlina, which one? B10, B21, B22, or B12? So its not just the type of vehicle, its which one of several.

The s.4 B20 is well regarded, and afforded many years of pleasure, but there are subtle advantages (and disadvantages) to the earlier coupes. The 2 liter motor is very sweet, runs always cool, and is less noticeable at speed. The lightness is a factor, and the IRS rear means cornering without lean. The smaller trunk of the earlier car also is without back pressure, so at the end of a long day, one can exit the car smelling clean and fresh. There is a purity in the earlier cars, just as there is something seductive in the refinement of the later cars. Or perhaps the combinations in the middle series…. And that's without mentioning the allure of the B50 (unknown until a day in Sebastien's), or the spaciousness of the berlinas.

But Loraymo? Now that's an acquired taste. Rather preferred are the factory flavors, thank you very much.
« Last Edit: 31 July, 2014, 11:35:38 AM by GG » Logged

B20 s.2, Appia C10, Flavia 2000
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 31 July, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »

Its the little hump in the top of a very square windscreen frame that jumps out and raises a smile.

David

Yes - it's as if the driver came along for a final fitting and he was taller than they'd remembered.

I'd put it in the 'nicely quirky' class rather than beautiful, in that I think an Aurelia is more beautiful to start with. But it's way, way above the Loraymo, which to me is the most hideous ruination of a car in history. That it came from a professional designer who should understand balance and proportions defies belief.
Oh Dear Stan,
I like the Loraymo, I didn't like it until we had a good look at it in the Lancia Collection in 2004, when I changed my opinion, I think when you see it in the metal it's a lot more subtle than in the photos, but yet again that's only my opinion.

Brian
8227 Cool

Oops, sorry Brian! I've never seen it in the flesh but I'm not sure I'd be convinced. As you say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I'm always interested when someone likes something that I don't to find out what they see in it that I can't. There is no right or wrong as such. I love the Ferrari 250 SWB as a pretty much perfect shape but would love to know if anyone finds it hideous!

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
Charles

« Reply #17 on: 31 July, 2014, 10:20:45 PM »

I think that you had to be there - in the fifties I mean.  Jets were the latest thing and the PF2000 would have looked far more modern to 50's eyes than the B20.  But tastes change; true classic design lasts forever while fashion comes and goes. I grew up in the fifties (well almost) and I love it!

Augusta berlina, Appia S3 berlina
Flaminia convertible 2.8 3c Touring
Beta spider S1 1600, Gamma berlina S1
Gamma coupe S1, Delta 1.6 multijet
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd