Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 11:59:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snubber springs - beware!  (Read 3466 times)
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« on: 18 June, 2014, 11:16:07 AM »

The port side front suspension on Old Boot had taken to getting jammed on full extension.  "Worn bottom guide" I thought and went to take it off.  It will not come!    I cut off the bottom half of the guide and discovered that the snubber spring had broken up and slightly expanded the lower 5 mm or so of the king pin (by some 20 microns).   This is going to take some very careful work with a Dremel to reduce the high bits and get the upper half of the guide off.   I shall then proceed to replace the snubber springs on both cars and suggest you all do the same.  After all, they are more than 80 years old!

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 22 July, 2014, 06:49:56 PM »

I managed to get the guide off by cutting almost through it vertically and the tapping it down when it obliginly split.  Not a madk on the pillar either!   However, next problem is removing the pillar/stub axle assembly as I have decided that Dremelling will not do a good job and the pillar needs to be ground down to size.   I made up a collar so as to extract upwards using the part H4 as the Book of Words says blandly "remove the ring H2 and take our H and M".  M is the inner sheath and H the screwed bit.  I have tightened as much as I dare and even tapped cautiously but so far no joy.    Thought has struck - is it screwed in?  Does not look to be so on the Tavola but before I apply heat I thought I'd ask if anyone else has done this.   I did change a stub axle some years ago but cannot remember how I did it!

* P1010557 [1280x768].JPG (219.51 KB, 671x1280 - viewed 460 times.)

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 22 July, 2014, 07:45:04 PM »

ps what is a "snubber spring" ?

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2014, 08:49:03 AM »

Spring in the bottom of the lower guide, takes the impact of the descending pillar.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd