Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 04:47:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aurelia Dynamo identity?  (Read 6093 times)
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« on: 22 May, 2014, 11:34:05 AM »

Can anyone tell me if this reference number for the above part, is for an Aurelia, if so which model?

Biccini Bosch MRG90/615001S

P

Frank Gallagher
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2014, 01:43:13 PM »

As an aside with lots of people doing the alternator upgrade I'd have thought a good dynamo might be relatively (!!) easy to find.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2014, 03:17:22 PM »

Not so much that David, they have a dynamo but don't know if it is an Aurelia dynamo.....if you can follow me, hence the query

P

Frank Gallagher
Tony Stephens

« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2014, 04:00:09 PM »

Pre-war BMW 328 used the same arrangement IIRC, and that is more likely to be a Bosch part.

Simon Thornley is rebuilding a very original one at present for a client, so I am sure if you asked him or Wayne politely they would check the part number.
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2014, 05:24:55 PM »

The older I get, the more I home in on originality - particularly when the car as originally designed and manufactured was very good in its time.
So for example, my 993 Porsche Twin Turbo is original and unmessed with as is Jacky's  Integrale Evo 2. I 'improved' Jacky's previous Integrale Evo 2 and whilst it was great on smooth roads when you were in the mood for speed, I cant say it was any improvement on the standard version as it came out of the factory.
Aurelia's have a couple of weak points IMHO but the dynamo isn't really one of them. A dynamo in good condition is perfectly adequate and reliable for the electrical equipment as originally fitted.
I do have an alternator on my 3rd Series B20 racecar which has been fine despite lots of high revs and very hot conditions under a tubular exhaust manifold but I did it as an experiment really. I don't like the way the fanbelt has to be adjusted with the alternator (washers in the pulley as per VW/Porsche) compared with the eccentric dynamo.The wiring in my racecar looks original but is in fact modern and completely up to the job so no problems there with the increased current..
Our other Aurelias run on dynamos quite happily and I don't intend changing them for alternators.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
Sebastien
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2014, 08:57:27 AM »

I completely agree with Chris's statements. If your dynamo works, why change?
We do not drive modern cars, with all their electrical components, and current drain!
And it is not frequently you drive your Aurelia with all electricals on...

However, to answer the OP, Aurelias do not mount Bosch dynamos, but Marelli.

The correct reference for the dynamo for a B12, taken from the parts book, is Marelli DN 22C-200/12/1700D

The parts book also lists all dynamo components, including the bearings!
(RIV 01A and RIV 2065b, if you need them)

And the required regulator, also difficult to find, is Marelli IR 15A

The initially mentionned MRG 90/6 1500 L51 is clearly not an Aurelia dynamo, it is fitted with its regulator, and is 90W / 6 V I assume.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 29 May, 2014, 03:41:58 PM »

I used to get nervous on return runs (going is always great fun, its the getting home that's a trial) with the modern two speed wipers on full and the heater on and all the lights and the accessory rear fog on and the heated rear screen - but it was always ok with the regular dynamo.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 02 June, 2014, 06:17:56 AM »

Thanks for replies, will pass on info

P

Frank Gallagher
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 02 June, 2014, 06:29:12 AM »

I was very surprised to also receive this query from Felix in S Africa bearing in mind his knowledge of all things Lancia and also the fact that it is a Bosch unit from a time when Lancia used Marelli only.

Chris Gawne
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 02 June, 2014, 06:36:53 AM »

Lol....so he emailed everyone on his customer list??!!

Shall I tell him or you Chris?

P

Frank Gallagher
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 02 June, 2014, 09:46:46 AM »

You can have the glory Frank as you thought to raise it on the forum.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 02 June, 2014, 11:06:24 AM »

Chris you are such a gent !!!

P

Frank Gallagher
Niels Jonassen

« Reply #12 on: 02 June, 2014, 03:49:15 PM »

Let me add that in Denmark cars are requested to have their headlights on all day. This might be quite a strain on an old dynamo, so this rule does not apply to cars up to 31st Dec. 1950. So a B10 may be run without the lights on. Now, our Aurelia GT is a 3rd Series and has always been run with the lights on since we registered it in 1982. The dynamo has always been up to the job. A few years ago we had it rewound because the windings had begun to crack because of old age. There were no signs of overheating and melted isolation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd