Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 03:27:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THAT(!) Top Gear episode.  (Read 7581 times)
rikardo
Megaposter

« on: 08 April, 2014, 07:43:01 PM »

Yes folks, on Wednesday 9th April on BBC3 at 7pm BST, it's being shown again, to be followed shortly after on iPlayer.
Hard to believe it was first broadcast in November 2009.
Beware of throwing things at your TV however. LCD and Plasma are not as robust as a CRT!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00p4z1y/Top_Gear_Series_14_Episode_3/

1992 Delta HF integrale
1993 Dedra integrale
and several Alfas
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 08 April, 2014, 07:48:31 PM »

...too late to get a court injunction.....or just blockade the big eejits house in Chipping Norton?

P

Frank Gallagher
m tulloch
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2014, 06:44:16 PM »

Am I missing something here?

In what way is it negative? Huh?
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 09 April, 2014, 07:33:43 PM »

I suppose whilst they praise and highlight the achievements.....the last word always seems to end up as a word beginning with R

P

Frank Gallagher
rikardo
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2014, 08:24:10 AM »

Yes, they complain about some of the short-comings, but to actually put LANCIA up there speaks volumes, in my opinion. So yes, you might dislike their apparent "bad attitude", but I think it's good for us. As the saying goes, any publicity is good publicity.
Happy motoring!

1992 Delta HF integrale
1993 Dedra integrale
and several Alfas
Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2014, 08:39:37 AM »

Most people, even my 7 year old understands that TG is pure tongue in cheek entertainment, there were far more positives than negatives. 

I heard that Hawk Cars had some issues after the programmed was aired, but seeing it again it wasn’t that bad against them. I thought they made a fair point saying kit cars are only as good as the builder.   

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 10 April, 2014, 11:17:27 AM »

I agree with Julian on that : I would not buy a car that Clarkson had built but I would by one built by James May. It was a pretty good point. There's also a line of shop windows next to some lights in Bristol (on the A36) and believe me , it is pretty good looking at the integrale reflection when I happen to stop there !

The stratos lap is wonderful and I do which they had a retro-board of some of yesterday's heros - just to be able to watch them do the familiar power lap curcuit ...

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #7 on: 10 April, 2014, 04:48:35 PM »

Most people, even my 7 year old understands that TG is pure tongue in cheek entertainment, there were far more positives than negatives. 

I heard that Hawk Cars had some issues after the programmed was aired, but seeing it again it wasn’t that bad against them. I thought they made a fair point saying kit cars are only as good as the builder.   

Gerry and the owner were very upset about that programme, TG were quite specific about the livery/spec of the car that they wanted and there was only 1 car out there available. It was given to TG on the understanding that it was for static shots only as it hadn't been run for almost a year. Needless to say they ran it and caused considerable damage to the car which resulted in TG paying a very large repair bill.

After the show I believe Gerry had 6 or 7 orders. No publicity is bad publicity indeed.

I'm not aware of any true petrol head out there that views TG as a serious programme anymore, merely a comedy one!

Guy
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2014, 07:10:09 PM »

Agreed. It is last of the summer wine ....

But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it, I think they are very smart in what they do

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #9 on: 10 April, 2014, 10:59:04 PM »

Agreed, they make a fortune from marketing their humour around the planet.....

Fortunately most people are intelligent enough to realise what they're watching!
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 11 April, 2014, 07:20:56 AM »

Fortunately most people are intelligent enough to realise what they're watching!

...thats ok for the intelligent types................but what about the remainder.....all of it swallowed hook line and sinker......especially when Ester came on board and it was taken as gospel!

P

Frank Gallagher
Justin McArdle
Megaposter

Fulvia Berlina 2C

« Reply #11 on: 11 April, 2014, 08:38:34 AM »

My kids were chastising me for getting annoyed at TG when we watched it on catch up last night. I think humour took the front seat and one wonders if TG would have gone to the same extremes for a manufacturer currently selling in the UK. I suppose that we all feel frustrated that the significant automotive advances pioneered by Lancia and Lancia's place in automotive  history ended up playing second fiddle to slapstick comedy.
I was taking my 2000HF Coupe out of the garage the other weekend when a neighbour expressed much interest and admiration before launching into the Lancia rust scandal - it sometimes takes a thick skin! Anyhow, let us all be content that we are able to enjoy and appreciate what is so special about owning and driving these great cars!!

Lancia 2000 HF Coupe
Fulvia Berlina 2C
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 11 April, 2014, 09:19:17 AM »

I enjoy TG as just mindless entertainment to wash over me. I watch it for those once in a while views of cars like the new Alfa 4C and the new Disco Volante. Have to say production and photgraphy values are top class and you have to admit it is more fun than a bloke with a pipe and cardigan extolling the virtues of an Austin Allegro. The rust thing - reminds of many years ago camping at the big Silverstone historic weekend with my Fulvia beside the tent. As I was summoning up energy to get up a group of blokes walked past. One said, 'Look at that, the old Fulvia. They were right rot boxes'. I felt like saying 'Hmm, because MGB's, Spitires, Midgets etc, weren't were they?". Let's face it, every car built back then was a rot box. At 10 years old, my Mk III Cortina was like a metal doily. Have to say though, the metal is exceptionally thick on a Fulvia. I had mine Waxoyled when it came over from Italy 20 years ago, and so far it's looking good.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 12 April, 2014, 01:10:48 AM »

I still think JC is a Moron, clever and rich though he may be, and I don't find him entertaining in the least, not keen on the midget twerp Hammond either, but  I like James May, so I suppose it can't all be bad.
Just goes to show to what level standards have sunk.
That's my Grumpy Old Man contribution for the day Grin

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 12 April, 2014, 10:19:29 AM »

JC is clever in appearing to be a moron to make money but when he wants to be he can be quite a good serious presenter. Two programmes he presented which I still remember as excellent were a documentary about his father-in-law who won a VC at Arnhem and quite recently, the disastrous convoy to Murmansk. Just remembered another one he did - the raid on St. Nazaire. It's a shame he doesn't do a few more in this vein as he tells a story very well. Hammond, indeed, is a twerp of the highest order. May is a quite likeable eccentric.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd