Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:50:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B20 - Indicator / headlight switch  (Read 6078 times)
Charles T

« on: 30 March, 2014, 06:21:08 PM »

Hi there,

An intermittent indicator (!!) on my B20 6th Series has turned out to be poor connections to the indicator switch on the steering column.

There is no obvious means by which the cables are fixed to the connections on the switch and, in any event, I cannot see how they could be renewed without taking the switch apart.  The plastic innards seem to be held in place to the metal casing by a pin through the middle.  I have a horrible feeling that this might be the type of pin that is difficult to take out, and even more difficult to put back together.

Is anyone able to advise on how to renew these connections?
I was considering updating the indicators to separate them from the brake /tail light at the rear but this will have to be pushed back down the list now.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Charles

Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2014, 01:16:17 AM »

A good ten years ago now, but I took mine apart, and repaired it myself. I used bits I had from a series 1 Fulvia, which is a similar arrangement. From what I remember there were lots of tiny springs, ball bearings, and much 'cussing and swearing". However it must have been successful, as its still working today.

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2014, 09:29:55 AM »

Charles if you need a series 1 Fulvia switch assembly to cannibalise I can probably help.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Charles T

« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2014, 08:57:13 PM »

Thank you for both for the info.

Brian - I will get in touch if I need parts.
I will probably not be able to do anything with it until next weekend anyway.

Charles
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2014, 10:37:43 PM »

At the time I bought a spare switch. Some rust on the chrome capping. I'll take a few photos of it and post them up. Should be able to see where I soldered the wiring.

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
adrian donovan

Aurelia 4th series

« Reply #5 on: 01 April, 2014, 08:32:33 AM »

Charles - welcome to the reality of Aurelia ownership! You can take it apart - very carefully as there are little springs involved. I use a small screwdriver to push out the central pin - you can then maintain the 3 main plastic parts in the right order. Do look at the flasher contacts at the same time - best to try to do all the work needed before you put it all back. It all needs patience - but it is possible!
Charles T

« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2014, 09:14:40 PM »

The news of small springs is making me nervous....
Thank you for the warning. 
The contacts do look rather dirty and so this makes sense.  I do now want to have to come back into this anytime soon but ten years and counting is encouraging.
I will let you know how I get on.
Charles T

« Reply #7 on: 06 April, 2014, 07:31:23 PM »

Well, I can report success up to the point of putting the switch back together.

The pin holding it all together came out reasonably easily.  I did not really know what to expect on the inside but it is a fairly simple mechanism.
A neighbour with a soldering iron and the skill to wield it was able to remove the old cables and put in new ones.

The contact pins seemed to have bedded into preferred location holes, and so some trial and error was required here when re-seating them. I think I was lucky in that it all seemed to go back together surprisingly easily.  With hindsight, I should probably have marked each section and the each pin individually, rather than assuming that there were all the same.

I have not got as far testing the connections or reinstallation into the car yet.  I am not convinced that the rocker for the indicator contact has set into its slot properly and so some minor adjustment may yet be required. Also, I could not work out the path of current through the switch for the headlights but will not worry about this unless it decides not to work!
Charles T

« Reply #8 on: 21 April, 2014, 03:28:20 PM »

Switch now reinstalled and, rather to my surprise, everything  is working as it should do.
For future reference to self:

1. There is very little space for the cables to pass between the switch and the slot they fit into.  The cables are vulnerable to damage when the retaining cover is being tightened back on.

2. The  lug that holds the switch in place is shallow and so steady pressure is required on the switch to prevent rotation with the retaining cover.

I took some photos of the switch once taken apart but cannot seem to get them off my the camera at the moment.
Thank you for the pointers.

Charles

chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 25 November, 2018, 09:02:37 AM »

A friend of mine bought a NOS Aurelia indicator/headlight switch at Padova this year but the price was rather high to put it mildly!
I have a spare rebuilt fully functional switch with stalk and retaining chrome cup if anyone is stuck.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd