Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 08:11:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help - my Lancia is melting!  (Read 15970 times)
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« on: 26 March, 2014, 12:12:58 PM »

I have a 1999 Lybra estate which I've mentioned elsewhere today. I love it, it's a great long distance cruiser with lots of refinements. BUT...............some to the plastic trim, mainly the console between the seats and the lower half of the dashboard, glove box door etc appear to be 'melting'. When you touch it, it is permanently tacky. Any dust, dog hairs etc stick to it. You can almost leave a fingerprint on it. I've had it about six years, but have never used any cleaning products on it so that can't be a cause. Has anyone else had experience of this in a Lybra or any other car? It's spoiling the look of a very nice interior. Is there any product I can wipe on that might stabilise it?

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #1 on: 26 March, 2014, 01:31:02 PM »

Hi Stanley

Not seen it on cars, but have seen similar with rubber like products on some old computer systems, in these cases only remedy is scrap/replace. My guess is the mix/cure in manufacture was not quite right and it will most likely get worse sadly. Sorry if that is the case for you.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 26 March, 2014, 02:29:59 PM »

Hmmmm - that's what I was wondering.....

DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 26 March, 2014, 03:38:07 PM »

Sticky, but not so sticky you can stick some trim material on?

David Laver, Lewisham.
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 26 March, 2014, 04:49:06 PM »

Do you know David, I had a similar thought myself. In fact I was wondering if a car wrap place could cover it? I'll have to have a proper look, but I think some of the curves etc might prove difficult to settle a material down nice and flat myself. Might mean I could have the lower half in a lighter colour which I always thinks adds a touch of class.

Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2014, 05:13:26 PM »

I have seen it before, when it goes really sticky and discolours.

Have you tried a flexible varnish or rubberised paint to stabilise the material. As Peter mentioned it happens to old 70’s plastic cases, with restorers using paint in the same colour to cover it.

Julian   

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
Thotos
Administrator
Megaposter

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #6 on: 26 March, 2014, 05:50:34 PM »

Happens to Fiat 131 Sport gearsticks and it's 'orrrible  Embarrassed

I found that plenty and repeated use of pure alcohol (surgical spirit) will re-harden the plastic but it will also discolour it. Replacement is the only permanent cure I think.

Theo Kyriacou
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 26 March, 2014, 06:47:55 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I wondered about something like alcohol - seems to be one of those things like WD40 that can do a thousand things. I might give that a go in a hidden spot first of all and see what happens. Luckily the dash top is nice and solid otherwise that would look pretty bad by now. Also door pockets, door pulls, all OK. Luckily the gear knob is leather - that would be horrible if that was sticky. Would have to put an old sock over it Smiley

Julian, when you talk about rubberised paint, do you have any reference to a manufacturer or brand?

stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 20 June, 2016, 09:26:47 AM »

OK - I found a cure for my melting glove box etc. Not wanting to risk passengers spoiling their clothes, I simply Googled 'How to treat a melting dashboard'. I hadn't realised how widespread this was. This led me to Youtube and the first video I watched was by an Aussie who sounded like Mark Webber and I reckon you can always trust an Aussie who sounds like Mark Webber. He had a can of 'Bug and Tar Remover'. His was a foamy type, spray it on leave it a little while then wipe it off. Perfect. I found some tar remover, mine was liquid rather than foam and it works. It's takes a bit of effort and is messy in that you end up with loads of old rags/kitchen paper cover in goo but what a difference. Glove box dry and non-sticky. I'll carry on with another couple of areas then hopefully a wipe over every now and again will keep it under control.

simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 20 June, 2016, 10:19:08 AM »

No more dripping goo - perfect !

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd