Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 04:50:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could have been worse !!!  (Read 9579 times)
Niels Jonassen

« Reply #15 on: 27 February, 2014, 06:54:52 PM »

How did you get the little bit which had broken off out of the engine? I can see that the push rod is broken at the lower end. I hope that you have not fitted the push rods upside down.
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #16 on: 27 February, 2014, 11:50:46 PM »

How did you get the little bit which had broken off out of the engine? I can see that the push rod is broken at the lower end. I hope that you have not fitted the push rods upside down.

A retractable magnet !

Car is running today, and everything seems ok. There is a show on this weekend and I'm putting the car on the Lancia stand. Unfortunately when I checked the tracking delivery from Cavalitto, it indicated that I would not get the parts till Tuesday.
Soooooo, a bit of lateral thing was required.
Early Fiat 500's have a very similar pushrod (126's have a solid rod). The 500 part is maybe 4mm longer, and the inerts are slightly different. I removed my inserts, and the 500 ones, cut down the rod to the correct length, and fitted the B20 inserts.
So now there is a little bit of Fiat beating away inside a Lancia, or once again Fiat comes to Lancias rescue !!!

As soon as I get the correct parts, I'll remove and check everything over again. I just need the car running to make it easier to attend the show.
« Last Edit: 27 February, 2014, 11:52:25 PM by Kevin MacBride » Logged

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 28 February, 2014, 07:41:51 AM »

Good bit of "Heath Robinson" .....

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #18 on: 28 February, 2014, 08:17:08 AM »

....prefer to use the term resourceful.......!

Temporary fixes are the life blood of some cars, hoping it properly fixed and leading an even more adventurous life again very soon.

P

Frank Gallagher
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #19 on: 28 February, 2014, 04:38:17 PM »

In my experience some, if not all, temporary fixes end up being the permanent fixes!!!!!

Great ingenuity and a good knowledge of other models to the rescue ..... well done. Have a great weekend, I hope the sun shines on you.

Andy
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #20 on: 28 February, 2014, 09:51:02 PM »

How do they compare?   Might you pull the other five and replace with FIAT items?

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #21 on: 28 February, 2014, 10:30:20 PM »

I was speaking with another friend today at the show. He has (had, now retired) a light engineering company. His son now runs the operation. He machines alloy based components for various companies, CNC and water jet cutting. I asked him about the rods. He said that the price Cavalitto was charging was as good as he's be able to do them for, but he was more concerned as to why it failed in the first place. He said, that if it was his car, he'd fit a complete new set regardless. What concerned him was the two little oil holes. When I had the rocket block off, I had a look at the exhaust pushrod, and I was certain I could feel an ever so gentle 'bump' just to each side of the hole, like a compression bulge. I wonder if 60 odd years of tappeting could be causing this. The oil hole must be there for a reason, yet the Fiat rod was plain, and just had a hole in the centre of each end insert, the same as the B20.
In modern Fiat engines, mostly diesels, the rockers are designed to break in the event of a timing belt failure, cheaper and easier to fix than damaged valves and pistons. I wonder are the holes the same idea, as in better for a rod to break (and so the valve stays shut), rather than run the risk of a piston hitting a stuck valve.
Has anyone ever had a timing chain fail on an Aurelia ?

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #22 on: 09 March, 2014, 11:33:38 PM »

In my experience some, if not all, temporary fixes end up being the permanent fixes!!!!!

Great ingenuity and a good knowledge of other models to the rescue ..... well done. Have a great weekend, I hope the sun shines on you.

Andy

New pushrods arrived on Friday last......still in the packaging......I'll lay odds they'll be there for a while yet !!

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd