Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:00:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could have been worse !!!  (Read 9577 times)
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« on: 24 February, 2014, 10:10:36 PM »

Last year I did a race at Bishopscourt 'up North' (as we say over here). Originally an old WW2 airfield, it had been used as a racetrack for years, then the military 'took it back', but over the past few years it has reverted back to racetrack again. My first time there, its a very fast track, with long straights and sweeping bends with the odd chicane. A good run for the Aurelia I thought.
However, on the day (weekend) we had torrential rain and biting wind. During practise the car seemed a little off power. I didn't think too much about it as I was more concerned with a leaking roof on my car transporter, an old double cab Transit (which doubled as a bed for the weekend)
Race started ok, I actually was ahead for about half a lap, when a Healey Silverstone went thundering past, Ah, I says to myself, I'll follow him and get used to the track....then the heavens opened...and my wipers failed.....
Not that the wipers would have made much difference, but a good excuse for later. 3rd on the day, happy enough.
Next event was Mondello a few weeks later, and I was about 6/7 seconds a lap slower than usual. A quick check revealed nothing, all plugs were sparking, but the car still felt odd, and there was a distinct 'ping' sound from somewhere. When I got the car home, I did a quick compression test, one cylinder was showing zero. I covered the car up, and left it there.......till today.
And this is what I found.....

* 003.JPG (294.42 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 319 times.)

* 005.JPG (262.16 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 317 times.)

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 24 February, 2014, 10:25:01 PM »

Whatever it is Kevin, it doesn't look good, do fill us in and is it a straightforward fix?

P

Frank Gallagher
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 24 February, 2014, 11:25:19 PM »

A broken push rod I presume Kevin, what a beast. I presume from what you have written there is no other damage, that is a relief.

I am surprised the compression test showed zero, I would have expected the associated valve to remain closed, or do you think it was high spot to high spot on the two broken parts of the push rod holding the valve open?

Anyway, I hope it will soon be repaired and back on the road and track.

Best wishes,

Andy
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 25 February, 2014, 04:31:19 AM »

Kevin,
You make it sound like the broken pushrod is the extent of the problem......... and I hope you are correct. Is the head off and does the offending valve open and close fully and smoothly when operated manually?
 I don't understand the complete lack of compression on that cylinder and if it were me, knowing that it was an engine for racing I would take this opportunity to  have a close look at the other pushrods at the very least.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 25 February, 2014, 07:58:19 AM »

Chris, are you on the night shift, or do you, like me, wake in the middle of the night and mull over the days events and tasks for the morning??

Andy
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 25 February, 2014, 08:05:04 AM »

It's the inlet valve an cylinder three. The little steel cap on the valve had popped off (and was stuck in a pool of oil in a corner of the head). This allowed the valve to stay closed as there was extra clearance between rocker and valve.
The valve will open and close easily by hand, so I assume all is well. All I can do now is replace the pushrod, and see what happens.

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 25 February, 2014, 08:21:13 AM »

I am surprised the compression test showed zero, I would have expected the associated valve to remain closed, or do you think it was high spot to high spot on the two broken parts of the push rod holding the valve open?

Just from past experience with a collapsed lifter in a cvh engine, if the valve is shut all the time, gas cannot move in or out of the cylinder to be compressed hense no compression, used to be normal on Vauxhall ohv engines when the rockers snapped and like I said on cvh engines where the hydrolic lifters collapsed, sounds totally illogical but true  Wink

1935 augusta lusso (chugga)
1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
194? ardea SUV  "THE BEAST!!!"
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 25 February, 2014, 09:35:35 AM »

Thank you James, you live and learn !!!!!

Let us hope that all will be well with a new push rod. If, as Kevin states, the valve moves freely, then there is a real chance of the limited damage shown.

Andy
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 25 February, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »

I can't have any secrets Andy can I? I am about 8,000 miles from the UK in a SE direction so an 8 hour time difference.
Sounds like Kevin might be lucky with this one but why did the pushrod break in the first place? This is puzzling me.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 25 February, 2014, 11:06:01 AM »

The rod seems to be broken just at the oil drain holes, so maybe they developed a crack. I also thought that possibly the adjusting screw may have worked loose, then with more clearance the rod could have 'bounced' and maybe dislodged itself from its position and snapped.
I'm going to chance fitting a new one anyway and see what happens. I have plans to overhaul the engine at some stage. I recently acquired a camshaft from Tim Burrett, which requires modified pistons, which in turn will probably require liners and a whole heap of other parts.
I actually left the cam in the car over the Christmas season, thinking some Lancia loving Elves would surprise me, but alas..no..!

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 25 February, 2014, 11:47:40 AM »

Back in the 1960s when I ran a 3rd. series B20, I had a couple of the push rod ends come loose. Harry supplied new push rods which we left on his Valour stove to warm up for ten minutes before tapping in the ends. I seem to remember that engine overheating was the cause of the problem.
 Regards, John
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #11 on: 25 February, 2014, 11:20:48 PM »

Thanks for the replies, all I can do is wait for a new rod, and see what happens. I swapped over the pushrod, and the valve opens and closes properly, plus all the other tappet clearances were fine, so hopefully its just a freak incident. I was speaking with Peter Harding and he tells me he fits new rods often enough. If fact he'd just fitted the last ones he had in stock when I called.
I know people like to see photos of 'the oily bits', so here's the exposed cylinder head.

* 001.JPG (248.74 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 333 times.)

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 26 February, 2014, 08:17:26 AM »

Is that a special exhaust manifold Kevin? Best of luck with the work.

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 26 February, 2014, 10:50:03 AM »

I'd forgotten how the rocker carriers curve.  However I can remember how they wear...  Yours all ok?

Is the heater blanked off?  I'd have thought even racing a bit of warmth up the screen would be handy in such a "lush green land" as you live in.  I also used to make full use of the heated rear screen in mine, and even after new front and rear screen seals and the inside being bone dry.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #14 on: 26 February, 2014, 06:58:20 PM »

I got the manifold from Peter Harding some eight years ago now. As regards the heating (or lack of it), its pure laziness....after I'd restored the bodywork I was in a rush to get the car driving, and I simply never refitted the heater. Every time I'm sitting, strapped into the seat, with a fogged up screen, I'm reminded of the missing heater. And whenever I consider fitting it, I'm usually being handed a paint brush, or a pair of kids, or even a lawnmower......

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd