Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:33:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virgilio book  (Read 43099 times)
GG
Megaposter

« Reply #120 on: 02 November, 2015, 01:13:09 PM »

From David Bull Publishing:

"I'm very pleased to announce that the Society of Automotive Historians has given its 2015 Nicholas-Joseph Cugnot Award for best publication to Geoffrey Goldberg's Lancia and De Virgilio: At the Center. The SAH presents the award for the book that best advances the understanding of the history of the automobile in the English language during the previous year.  Lancia and De Virgilio shared this year's award with J. Saoutchik Maître Carrossier, published by Dalton Watson Fine Books.

Books from David Bull Publishing have won many awards over the years, but Lancia and De Virgilio is the first to be recognized by the SAH -- perhaps because it sheds new light on an innovative automaker....But Lancia and De Virgilio is about much more than cars.  The book also stands as a unique cultural history that captures the vibrant spirit of Italian business, family life, and society during the country's post-war renaissance.  It follows an approach that is both technical and romantic, highly detailed but also popular and accessible.

Meanwhile, further praise for Lancia and De Virgilio appears in the November issue of Classic & Sports Car magazine. Martin Buckley devotes his entire Backfire column to the book, noting that "Goldberg's text is scholarly but also straightforward and readable (with extensive reference notes at the end of each chapter -- always a classy touch). He takes a broader view of the social and industrial background to De Virgilio's working life and to the nature of Lancia as a company, rather than the usual narrow appraisal of the vehicles -- a trap into which too many books fall."

* Buckley on Lancia 10.2015.pdf (1882.87 KB - downloaded 163 times.)
« Last Edit: 02 November, 2015, 01:16:37 PM by GG » Logged

B20 s.2, Appia C10, Flavia 2000
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #121 on: 02 November, 2015, 02:08:53 PM »

Thank you for posting that review.  Well worth the read.

David Laver, Lewisham.
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #122 on: 02 November, 2015, 02:18:06 PM »

+ 1, many congratulations to Geoffery, great to see his dedication, hard work and innovation in this area being recognised.

P

Frank Gallagher
BlueSky
Lapsed

« Reply #123 on: 02 November, 2015, 08:47:28 PM »

Geoff was our guest speaker at the recent Australian Lancia Register Castlemaine Rally. He was most enjoyable company and his talk was terrific. He came on the tour after the rally and even had a drive of my Aprilia, although I think he misunderstood our kmh speed limit signs for mph!

Some photos of the event can be found on my website and the ALR page as well.

http://narrywoolan.com.au/lancia-aprilia/castlemaine-23/castlemaine-23-photo-collection.html
http://narrywoolan.com.au/lancia-aprilia/alr-mountain-to-surf-tour/alr-mountain-to-surf-photo-collection.html
http://alr.org.au/

Noel

* Geoff Goldberg.jpg (233.77 KB, 1024x683 - viewed 291 times.)

1937 1st series Aprilia Berlina
Nissan X-Trail T31 TS
1920 P & M 3 1/2hp {FOR SALE}
John Deere LX188
www.narrywoolan.com.au/home
GG
Megaposter

« Reply #124 on: 03 November, 2015, 02:12:23 PM »

He came on the tour after the rally and even had a drive of my Aprilia, although I think he misunderstood our kmh speed limit signs for mph!

Is there a difference?  Wink

Great photos, thanks for posting. Very good fun and glad to meet in person!

B20 s.2, Appia C10, Flavia 2000
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd