Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 06:19:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Start of the End  (Read 4355 times)
Greg

« on: 10 January, 2014, 10:23:47 PM »

Thought I would share this. Maybe not confirmed, but a worrying prospect for the Lancia brand?

In Italian from autoblog.it

http://www.autoblog.it/post/315275/marchionne-procediamo-con-il-risamento-di-alfa-il-gruppo-fiat-chrysler-avra-un-nuovo-nome

And English from worldcarfans

http://www.worldcarfans.com/114011068578/lancia-to-get-lobotomized-will-become-an-italian-only

I say the start of the end but maybe the final nail?
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2014, 10:55:42 PM »

To be honest while I hate what has been done to Lancia in recent years, it's irrelevant to the UK since we've had nothing new since 1995.
While yet again the Lancia/Fiat senior management have shown they care nothing for the Marque or it's future.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2014, 11:13:53 PM »

I'm increasingly confused and bewildered by the branding policies of the whole group.  Lancia has been on the way out for a while, but now the Fiat Group seems hell bent on marginalising Alfa and doing very odd things with Fiat.  The oddest thing is now, apparently, trying to push Fiiat upmarket - this a brand which was almost best at, and noted for, mass market small cars.  I've come to the conclusion that they have lost the plot.  Meanwhile in Australia where Fiat 500s retail for the equivalent of £7k and Giuliettas are priced to take on the Golf and Focus, both are selling like hot cakes.

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2014, 03:50:47 AM »

It seems that the thinking maybe to drop the name FIAT altogether. The re-branding would be in the name of each new model. As in you buy a '500' not a 'Fiat 500' or a '4C' not an 'Alfa Romeo 4C'.
Maybe they think they are selling Cornflakes, or Cola...
Then again, when people ask me at shows and suchlike 'What kind of car is that ?'         I'll say its an Aurelia, the reply usually is 'a wha', to which I'll say, 'its a Lancia Aurelia', and they'll reply 'a Lancer ?'
The rot began years ago..........I blame the internet !!

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2014, 12:21:28 PM »

It seems that the thinking maybe to drop the name FIAT altogether. The re-branding would be in the name of each new model. As in you buy a '500' not a 'Fiat 500' or a '4C' not an 'Alfa Romeo 4C'.
Maybe they think they are selling Cornflakes, or Cola...
Then again, when people ask me at shows and suchlike 'What kind of car is that ?'         I'll say its an Aurelia, the reply usually is 'a wha', to which I'll say, 'its a Lancia Aurelia', and they'll reply 'a Lancer ?'
The rot began years ago..........I blame the internet !!

Hi Kevin

Being Devil's advocate, it worked for the Mini......

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2014, 12:35:58 PM »

[/quote]

Hi Kevin

Being Devil's advocate, it worked for the Mini......

Peter
[/quote]

I agree with you. It might not be a bad idea to drop the manufacturers name. Most things these days (and in the past) have almost become part of the cultural landscape. I would guess that quite a lot of people still 'hoover' the house whilst using a Dyson.
I've never heard anyone referring to owing a 'British Leyland Mini', or an 'Austin Mini', or even a BMW 'Mini'. Its simply a 'Mini.
Opel are attempting it with 'Adam', and I think Peugeot have a similar model although I cannot think of the name.

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2014, 02:35:06 PM »

For what it is worth, I have never heard of people buying a 500......Fiat 500 (or cinqecento) is a much strong brand image. Mini was always Mini and BMW bought that brand. If Fiat try to drop the manufacturers name then they will be in commodity products (vis Head and Shoulders not P&G Head and shoulders) and all the luxury end will disappear as this end of the market it is the creator that has value not the model name.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Paul Greenway
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 13 January, 2014, 04:21:23 PM »

For me the Lancia name/brand/marque (rallying excepted) whilst under Fiat's wing has been dragged through the mud (no pun intended) for far too long and recently under Marchionne's control is in a worse a state as ever.

If Lancia are to continue as befits tradition, which appears less likely by the minute then Fiat need to sell the name to someone special. Imagine Pagani taking it on to develop a serious Italian luxury challenge to the Germans and also rain on Fiat's parade a bit like what Lamborghini did to Ferrari back in the '60's.

Imagine bespoke competition to Alfa/Audi/BMW/Infiniti/Jaguar/Lexus/Maserati/Mercedes/Volvo etc (no disrespect intended to existing Lancia models but they are generally outclassed by comparison) from the Lancia marque, you know maybe a little more expensive and exclusive whilst the Pagani name continues with it's hypercars, although the engines may need to be worked on, I can't quite imagine an AMG powered Appia or Aurelia.

Just a pipe dream but what a thought.

1972 Fulvia Sport 1600

Previous- 78 Montecarlo, 83 HPE VX, 88 integrale, 89 Delta GTie, 90 Y10GTie, 90 Dedra 2.0ieSE, 91 HF Turbo, 91 integrale 16v, 09 Thesis Centenario, 12 Delta 2.0M-J
HF_Dave
Megaposter

Rust , What Rust !! I don't See any rust !!!

« Reply #8 on: 13 January, 2014, 11:25:25 PM »

I think the current range of LANCIA  available in Europe is a very poor representation of what Lancia stood for all those years ago, there was a very poor effort from Fiat to keep the brand alive , If you look at what fiat are doing in Ireland at the moment in which they had the best selling car back in 1999 the "Punto", now they struggle to sell a couple of hundred cars a year. I wonder at it all , if they can make such a mess out of a small market like Ireland what are they doing globally !!! Shocked. I thought of buying a new Delta  and re-badging , but ! its just not right . Where did it all go wrong ! was it the Dedra ? the Thema ? The Ypsilon . I don't think so, at the time when these cars were on sale Lancia were on top of their game in world rallying . It all goes back to Fiat !! . I reckon in Fifty years time just like Bugatti they will be selling a super car called LANCIA . probably built by KIA. !!!!! Grin
« Last Edit: 13 January, 2014, 11:35:35 PM by HF_Dave » Logged

My Current Cars:

1991 Thema station wagon
1989 Thema 16v
2011 Lancia Delta 3

1977 Beta sedan 2000
1975 Fulvia S3 1.3
1973 Flavia HF 2000 Coupe
1972 Fulvia S2 1.3
1989 Thema 8.32
**Other Makes**
2018 Alfa Giulia