Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 03:15:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BRIGHTON SPEED TRIALS  (Read 5367 times)
sllim1946

« on: 06 January, 2014, 06:25:46 PM »

The oldest speed event in England is under threat of not being sactioned for 2014 by the only GREEN controlled council in the country. Brighton & Hove Motor Club have asked for our help by way of signing the petition asking the council to give their consent which has been signed by over 8 thousand people to date.

The council is due to make its decision on 23 January - so please take action now by following the link below and registering and signing the ePetition mentioned therein.

http://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=410

Many thanks

Brian Mills

1961 Appia Berlina S3
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2014, 07:14:01 PM »

Typical 'put you off tactic ' by making you register to the site before you can sign.
didn't work I've now signed.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2014, 07:37:43 PM »

This was raised in the Telegraph last Saturday, apparently the ruling Green party are recommending that the event be banned on the grounds of safety.

I would love to see the safety record for this event over the last say 20yrs. Apparently there was a fatality in 2012, but that alone should not warrant a ban. Part of my job when I was salaried was to organise the traffic management for major events and inevitably safety played a large part in this. Risk assessments formed a major part of the work. As a matter of course there were discussions with event promoters to agree changes to reduce risk and to bring it within acceptable standards.  I never recommended banning an event solely on the grounds of safety. There will always be risk, total safety can never be guaranteed. It is purely a matter of managing the risk!!!

I urge everyone to sign the petition, this could be the thin end of the wedge and we may begin to see local authorities banning more and more motorsport events on the grounds of safety.

Andy
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 14 January, 2014, 12:35:20 PM »

I signed. I did this event in 1996 in 13secs/101mph I think!

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 14 January, 2014, 02:49:53 PM »

I signed. I did this event in 1996 in 13secs/101mph I think!
What were you in Richard? The Brighton Speed Trial could be a good event to enter my Kurtis. Are there any corners?
 Regards, John

* KurtisatMembury2a.jpg (702.23 KB, 1956x1974 - viewed 499 times.)
rogerelias
Rebel Poster

MY 1600HF IN HEARTBEAT GARAGE

« Reply #5 on: 14 January, 2014, 07:29:37 PM »

You kept that quiet John  Wink

FULVIA 1600HF LUSSO
1958 VELOCETTE MAC
Triumph Bonneville t120v 1972
1968 MGC ROADSTER
1958 Series 2 Appia berlina
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 14 January, 2014, 07:41:12 PM »

Has there been a Kurtis there before? What are you going to do with it in general? I know you have posted it before. I was in an overheating Royale RP27 FF2000 (modified) A lot of waiting at the start!

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 15 January, 2014, 09:32:38 AM »

John

Looking at the pic of your Kurtis at first glance it looked like the steering shaft was also connected to the back axle giving a cunning rear wheel steering!! On closer inspection it is just a trick of photography!

What is under the bonnet?

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 15 January, 2014, 09:41:33 AM »

Has there been a Kurtis there before? What are you going to do with it in general? I know you have posted it before. I was in an overheating Royale RP27 FF2000 (modified) A lot of waiting at the start!
I don't know if a Kurtis has ever entered. I doubt it, as they are a bit thin on the ground in the U.K. as there are few events suitable for them. I was expecting to do some track days with it, but I have found that single seaters are no longer welcome at such events. It's not all that noisy and was road legal in the USA (California) which was a tad daft with its (then) less than 1 gallon fuel tank. It now has a 2 gallon tank, so will at least get to the nearest fuel station! I have only driven it once, to see what it was like and to see what needed doing to it. We tried it at a local airfield and the acceleration was impressive, thanks to the modified 4.7 litre V8, but a nasty noise from the (2 speed automatic) gearbox made me stop the tests. It turned out to be the propshaft, a few inches below my bum, coming apart at the rear UJ, which was lacking circlips. I'm glad I stopped when I did! It also showed signs of overheating and although I must have done 70 or 80 mph (it has a speedo - but no rev. counter) I was pretty sure it hadn't changed out of first gear. After fitting a new alloy radiator, electric fan , Holley carburettor and getting the gearbox fixed, I tried to sell it at the Richard Edmunds Auction in October without success. I have now advertised it on the Internet and in a magazine. While it really goes like the clappers in a straight line, I suspect it won't be breaking any records going round corners. It looks a lot better without all of the chrome bits, so next time I take its portrait, I'll remove them.
 Regards, John

* KurtisatMembury4a.jpg (1105.8 KB, 2687x1744 - viewed 542 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd