Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 03:54:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Front suspension stuck  (Read 3826 times)
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« on: 06 January, 2014, 12:13:25 PM »

Boot's front suspension is stuck at the top of its travel.   It is well lubricated and steers albeit a bit stiffly.  This used to happen with Sheila before I rebuilt the suspension and would return if I jacked it up and turned from lock to lock as few times or occasionally spontaneously.  No such luck here.  The suspension was rebuilt a few years ago after the crash with new pillars etc.  Questions are;
Why?
How do I get it back to normal again?
How do I prevent it happening again?

* P1050343 [800x600].JPG (227.98 KB, 800x600 - viewed 967 times.)

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2014, 04:58:48 PM »

Hello David,

Could it be that one of the valves which allow the oil to travel between  the top and bottom chambers has either failed or become blocked? Could a broken spring jam the piston? I fear that dismantling the sliding pillar may be the only solution.  Shocked

Robin.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2014, 05:27:25 PM »

Actually it popped back down while I was gently tapping the upper (locking) ring retaining the lower suspension cup/sleeve (11108).  I was going to remove the cup in order to release the pillar but now not necessary so have done it up again.  Cup itself was not loosened as I did not get as far as the lower ring.  I'm sure it is not the valve, it is too on/off.  The springs are new ones so unlikely to have broken and now the suspension rests equally both sides.  I suspect that the bottom end of the pillar is getting jammed in the top of the cup because of coming just a little too far out but I cannot see why that should be so.  Sheila had actually broken the ring on the stub axle that fits round the pillar but that does not seem to have happened here.
Incidentally, if the Aprilia hits a really big pothole the same thing happens despite all new bearing surfaces.

* Front brake [1280x768].jpg (97.89 KB, 508x768 - viewed 894 times.)

* Front suspension [1280x768].jpg (47.79 KB, 492x768 - viewed 857 times.)

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2014, 07:44:54 PM »

I am pleased to find that you have sorted the problem.

You now know that the judicious use of a hammer will solve the problem. Jim recommends the use of a hammer when something is reluctant to shift. This is not ignorance or frustration, it is, and I quote, "just getting its attention".

It usually works!!!

Andy
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 06 January, 2014, 08:00:10 PM »

The late great Wing Commander Neville Buckle, who only ever drove a Lambda, used to say he could fix everything with "an ajustable spanner and a copper hammer" which latter item has ever since been known in our family as a "Buckle".  I used a much more delicate tool and I think it was really a matter of leaving it jacked up for a few hours!    Still does not answer questions 1 and 3 though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd