Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 12:05:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flaminia clutch  (Read 12449 times)
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 14 January, 2014, 06:16:02 PM »

There's a danger of this getting done before spring...

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Charles Frodsham
Megaposter

« Reply #16 on: 15 January, 2014, 06:09:16 PM »

Know the feeling!  Cheesy

How thick is the new clutch friction pad out of interest? My old one is about 9mm thick.

I am waiting for a replacement from Omicron, but wondered if necessary could I get mine relined and balanced?

Reference earlier in thread, from what I can find out, it is not unusual to have the radial springs on some Flaminia clutches.
dannels
Megaposter

« Reply #17 on: 15 January, 2014, 07:33:19 PM »

On the spring comment - I'd be happy with that - between work and 3 kids - my Flaminia doesn't get the time she deserves!

Re-lining cost me £50exvat - so it's probably better from a ££ perspective.

On balancing - I'm getting the whole clutch assembly balanced as it spins at engine speed. It would be good to do that either way...

Thickness is around 4.5mm either side I believe - will have to check to give an accurate answer.

Cheers
Dave

1961 Flaminia GT, 1966 Matra Djet V
Charles Frodsham
Megaposter

« Reply #18 on: 22 January, 2014, 10:11:57 PM »

On inspection the PF clutch pressure plate is slightly dished.

I am looking at having this machined. Has anyone got any experience of this?

I notice that new clutch plates are available from Classic Lancia in NL, and look to be original F&S from Germany. Anybody tried these?
Dave Gee
Megaposter

« Reply #19 on: 23 January, 2014, 08:02:57 PM »

Charles
There is a direct match for the Flaminia clutch from a BMW. Somewhere I have the information, but at this stage, I can tell you that I fitted one without a problem. I have also probably got a clutch which I have had refaced, as there is a guy in the next village who does this. If this is another solution, let me know. Meanwhile I will try and find the information about the BMW clutch.

Best wishes

Dave
Charles Frodsham
Megaposter

« Reply #20 on: 23 January, 2014, 09:14:44 PM »

Thanks Dave, much appreciated. Will await details of BMW clutch.
Charles.
dannels
Megaposter

« Reply #21 on: 07 February, 2014, 04:03:57 PM »

I've had the clutch assembly balanced - and its now back on the car. For the first time in 30 years I have a fully functioning clutch!

Getting closer to my goal of making Silverstone Classic this year!

* Screen Shot 2014-02-07 at 16.03.14.png (1397.79 KB, 1028x1036 - viewed 380 times.)

Charles Frodsham
Megaposter

« Reply #22 on: 08 February, 2014, 03:09:14 PM »

Well done Dave!

I am having some problems with my clutch and wondered if you have any answers?

I have had the pressure plate re-faced. I have tried setting the clutch levers as per Lancia document, but something doesn't quite add up to me. The pressure plate assembly has to be compressed to a particular dimension (clutch face to cover plate of 23.7mm). It is necessary to set the levers 44.7mm from the face datum (Flaminia figures, or 33.7mm for an Aurelia clutch). The original dimension before disassembly was 25mm (quite a difference from the published figures).

If I use the Flaminia figure the springs are pre-compressed by the levers, so that on reassembly there would be little further compression of the springs....which clearly isn't correct.

Anybody done this before or can offer some help?Huh?
dannels
Megaposter

« Reply #23 on: 10 February, 2014, 06:45:54 PM »

I don't know the exact measurements (and can't check now)- but looking at the picture you posted of the 'before' state - your levers looked like they were set to disengage the clutch quite a bit (ie not compressing the springs much). Certainly very different from mine if you look at my 'before' pic. Did you have very little clutch pedal travel before?

The plate in this state should be clamping the clutch disc firmly (thus compressing the springs)

My view - and I'm no expert would be to trust the manual more on this basis...

Charles Frodsham
Megaposter

« Reply #24 on: 11 February, 2014, 09:51:36 PM »

Thanks Dave

I did some head scratching over the weekend and decided to go back to the factory settings. The levers now are higher above the clutch face and the springs are compressed more as you suggest.

The gearbox is now back in the car and the clutch pedal feels good statically. I have bled the brakes, so a trip  to the MOT station is imminent, so all will be revealed  shortly!
Charles Frodsham
Megaposter

« Reply #25 on: 14 February, 2014, 05:08:37 PM »

Trip to MOT station was fruitful, and clutch worked nicely....happy days. Grin
Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #26 on: 16 March, 2014, 10:12:37 PM »

Another Flaminia clutch seeing the light of day, this time not for a new plate but for new clutch shaft bearings. The car started to develop what I thought was a bit of exhaust rattle, but turned out to be the noisiest bearings i have even heard. The flaminia clutch is one of the easiest i have had the pleasure to remove, shaft was pretty tight, bearings came out and rattled like a baby’s toy, new slotted in without much force. But what a pain to get the clutch back in, as the car was on low ramps, i had to build a cradle which slotted in an old 4ft jack. The problem is the clutch is nearly gone, but didn’t want the car to be off the road for more than a day, so that it will have to wait for later this year.  But at least my exhaust stopped rattling.     

* Clutch.JPG (418.38 KB, 1336x1002 - viewed 354 times.)

* press.JPG (464.36 KB, 1336x1002 - viewed 345 times.)

* bearings.JPG (443.35 KB, 1336x1002 - viewed 392 times.)

* cradle.JPG (484.31 KB, 1336x1002 - viewed 361 times.)

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd