Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 06:59:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poor starting when cold, Flavia 2000, Solex Carb  (Read 3985 times)
alan284flavia

« on: 27 October, 2013, 09:22:03 PM »

For the last 2 years i have had extreme difficulty when starting my Flavia 2000 from cold, cranking for 2 or 3 minutes with short breaks. Spark is good, car runs well once fired up, hot starts ok but not brilliant but probably due to siting of fuel pump. Today it almost defied me, when I touched the connector to the anti run on unit on the carb., thereafter it fired up ok, did not seem flooded. Could this be the source of my problem ? There is also a FilterKing filter / regulator, couyld it be a problem, I am thinking of installing an electric pump, but would rather do it as a last resort. Any suggestions /
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 28 October, 2013, 12:28:02 AM »

For the last 2 years i have had extreme difficulty when starting my Flavia 2000 from cold, cranking for 2 or 3 minutes with short breaks. Spark is good, car runs well once fired up, hot starts ok but not brilliant but probably due to siting of fuel pump. Today it almost defied me, when I touched the connector to the anti run on unit on the carb., thereafter it fired up ok, did not seem flooded. Could this be the source of my problem ? There is also a FilterKing filter / regulator, couyld it be a problem, I am thinking of installing an electric pump, but would rather do it as a last resort. Any suggestions /

I've no experience of Flavia but certainly adding an electric pump but only to prime the carburettors, I then turn it off and resort to the mechanical fuel pump, it has been well worth it, no grinding over and usually starts first time.
I've also had a Filter King fitted for about 10 years now and it's never been a problem either.
Having read up a bit on Fulvias with the anti run on unit and the problems, that would be my first port of call, I maybe wrong, but I thought on Fulvia you can get away with disconnecting it in some way, I believe this was mentioned in a document on them from Omicron.
Good Luck sorting your problems.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 28 October, 2013, 07:41:37 AM »

Thought all Flavias had electric pump fitted in boot area. You here it ticking when turning the ignition on and then it stops. If no ticking then perhaps the pump has a problem. I am only speaking from my experience of S1 cars and Vignale in particular.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 28 October, 2013, 08:53:09 AM »

My transparent fuel filter bowl near to the carb is an indicator of whether fuel is being delivered. Also does it have a functioning cold start device? Earth strap ok?

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
rogerelias
Rebel Poster

MY 1600HF IN HEARTBEAT GARAGE

« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2013, 06:35:44 PM »

Silly though it may seem, but have you checked to see if the choke flap is fully closed when the cable is pulled fully, i've see it before on MGB's

FULVIA 1600HF LUSSO
1958 VELOCETTE MAC
Triumph Bonneville t120v 1972
1968 MGC ROADSTER
1958 Series 2 Appia berlina
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 28 October, 2013, 08:19:45 PM »

Good point and hence my reference. My Flaminia was suffering poor starting due to the choke being on without my knowledge(mechanism over centre)

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd