Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 02:31:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aurelia bumper annealing, refurbishing and subsequent chroming  (Read 5456 times)
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« on: 22 July, 2013, 09:42:39 PM »

Delving into this previously unknown aspect of restoring the B12, I find that once again, simply/easy solutions to some stages of the process are completely alien to the everyday restorer. Then again after 18 months, should I be surprised?!

In light of the process required....(please correct me if anyone knows different), I need to find someone with a metal works equipped with a furnace, who will allow you on a Friday evening to place said bumper into the furnace when its been turned off for the weekend, leave it for 24/48 hours to allow the annealing process to take place as it then cools over this period , then remove and pass onto relevant chromer, who can rework the metal if needed and finally chrome.

Can anyone suggest a suitable company who will allow this?

Thanks

P

Frank Gallagher
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 22 July, 2013, 09:50:44 PM »

As I and others have said in the past and Brian has posted very recently - trust Derby Plating to do a good job for you and not charge you the earth!

Colin
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 22 July, 2013, 10:00:38 PM »

Hi Colin, can they accommodate the annealing aspect as stated above?

P

Frank Gallagher
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 31 July, 2013, 07:01:37 PM »

Colin, or anyone else whose done this, or has detailed knowledge of the correct process and if Derby Plating are familiar with or have done Aurelia bumpers before, can you give me further details?

Thanks

P

Frank Gallagher
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 31 July, 2013, 08:29:08 PM »

Frank,

I’m sure we have been here before! In the early 1990s I took the rusty remains of my B20 front bumper to recommended platers in London. The London Chroming Company said it was too thin to process, they wouldn’t guarantee it and would only touch it for £500 up-front with no certainty it would work. Colonnade in Wembley refused to even think about it and similarly the Cambridge Electroplating Company, who weren't prepared to do any repair work first, and were very doubtful. I trekked up to Derby Plating and they cheerfully took it in, explained that they would have to repair it, build it up with copper first before chroming and did it for about £250. And it came out looking like new.

I don’t know about any need for annealing, but I am sure the guys at Derby know what they are doing. Have faith!

Colin

* AureliaCastleCombe93a.jpg (152.2 KB, 856x565 - viewed 341 times.)
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 31 July, 2013, 09:04:14 PM »

Hi Colin, even though we may well have been here, or nearby before, its still good to have it all resumed again, for that I thank you and will put this information to good use next year, thanks again

P

Frank Gallagher
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 31 July, 2013, 10:42:18 PM »

Frank, Alex, at www.classiccarcentre.ie who did the bodywork on my B20, and some on the 3rd series I'm working on, had the bumpers, grille, headlamp surrounds etc, re-chromed for the owner. You could call him to see who he used, the results were excellent (not cheap, mind)

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 01 August, 2013, 12:15:20 PM »

Hi Kevin, thanks for that, another option to explore

P

Frank Gallagher
Brian Long

Aurelia B12, Flavia 2000 Coupe

« Reply #8 on: 09 August, 2013, 11:19:53 AM »

The Aurelia B12 bumpers are made of brass !!!! Hence different to the B10 (aluminium) and the later B20's (steel).
You first have to have the chromium removed (electrically, not chemically) and THEN have them annealed. If the chromium is not removed first, you will destroy the metallurgy of the bumper.
Annealing brass differs from annealing, say, a copper washer in that you have to heat the bumper up and let it slowly cool. The use of a hot muffle furnace as it cools down over a weekend is the correct way to go.
If there is significant damage to the bumper which has to be beaten out, local annealing may be needed.
Once repaired, the bumper will be quite 'floppy ' due to its annealed state.
After chromium plating it will still be so but will work harden from vibration after fitted to the car. Be careful not to flex the bumper when refitting it because you will crack the plating.
I had my B12 bumpers redone as above 30 years ago and they only now require electrical stripping and replanting due to fair wear and tear.
Good luck with finding a sympathetic furnace owner and chromium plater!
Brian.
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 09 August, 2013, 02:05:19 PM »

As ever Brian a font of knowledge on all things B12, many thanks

P

Frank Gallagher
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 09 August, 2013, 06:48:06 PM »

Ahhh ... brass! Who but the cognoscenti would know this? I am still sure that Derby Plating would know how to do it.

Colin
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 09 August, 2013, 06:53:45 PM »

Colin, have asked them about this, plus furnished them with Brians more detailed process, will await some feedback

P

Frank Gallagher
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd