Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 06:46:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scammers, phishers and other internet bottom feeders.  (Read 2991 times)
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« on: 21 July, 2013, 12:13:50 PM »

I'd put up an advert on Viva-Lancia over a year ago for a selection of B12 parts . No response for 6 plus months and then by chance as I wound my way northwards in a van via Manchester I got this reply from someone at Chorley just a few days before. There was a partial address and a mobile phone number, great, I'd text them a few days before hand and establish contact. No reply, so the day before I'd thought I phone them, it didn't ring out, easy to miss type your number, it happens.

But as it turned out it was a hoax reply, despite my driving along the road on the email, no-one had heard of the guy, notched down to experience.

Then two days ago, another reply.......hhhhmmmmmmm. I sent a reply with my number and got this back.........

Hello Frank

Thanks for writing. Yes I still have an original complete  front and
rear seats, but only in a restorable condition. Wiper arm. Two each of
window winders, interior door handles. Front and rear bumpers, with
mounts Two wheels. Front and rear indicators. 3 Hub caps. Rear wheel
bearings.  in excellent shape and condition. I'm asking 240GBP and I
will be shipping via UPS or FedEx on a 3 - 4 working days delivery and
will accept payment via Money Gram as my PayPal is currently dormant.
What's your complete shipping address?

i have all the material here in my garage in warehouse now
thanks from john p******

--
It will be a lot better if you send me an e-mail in case you are still
in the market for the needed part(s). I can also call if you let me
have your cell phone number.

John P*********
Surrey GU24 0DH, United Kingdom.

What do we think..............

Grin

Shocked

P

Frank Gallagher
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2013, 03:43:30 PM »

Ebay can be an adrenaline rush and so far I've never had a problem including several "off ebay" transactions from abroad. However on this one my instinct would be to at least have a phone conversation and I'd have expected them to have a set of photos of the bits for you.  You'd also expect there to be more bits than listed.  What are the chances they have what you want and only what you want?

Jason and Louise Kennedy are in Guildford.  If you get anywhere by phone I'm sure they'd be happy to help. Come to that I'd be glad of the excuse to poke about a stash of Aurelia spares and drop in on Jason and Louise.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 21 July, 2013, 04:41:17 PM »

Much the same David, have had a few on/off ebay Italy deals and on Subito too.....its usually when they contact you the difficulty arises

P

Frank Gallagher
B20B24

« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2013, 06:37:11 PM »

We think it's a full on scam. PayPal accounts don't go dormant. Description doesn't sound like he knows what he's got and Moneygram payment is a favourite with "419" scams.

Walk, no run away Frank...!

'58 B20 S6
'53 B20 S3
'67 Fulvia Sport
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2013, 09:04:36 PM »

Yeah, its going into the block sender section of my hotmail account!
P

Frank Gallagher
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2013, 09:21:23 PM »

Hi Frank

Sounds like the guy or similar scammer who was selling an Aurelia engine. There is a thread on the forum from ages ago when I was in contact with him. At the time he was supposedly in St Andrews and London to mention two places that were included in separate listings on a popular sales website. The pictures listed were lifted from a genuine sellers listing.

I would always use cash on collection for such a sale, unless it is from a genuine Ebay seller with good history. I may take a risk with a low value item, but not one in the 100s or 1000s.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2013, 10:45:39 PM »

"Cell phone" is an Americanism.

David
« Last Edit: 21 July, 2013, 10:48:10 PM by DavidLaver » Logged

David Laver, Lewisham.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2013, 11:37:49 PM »

My feelings are much the same as everyone else, It's a scam and very carefully pitched to tempt you by having the parts you want; as for payment by 'Moneygram'
that's a definite No No, These days I buy very little unless I can pay by PayPal, another method of payment beloved of the scammers is Western Union.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd