Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:06:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing Fulvia Brake Fluid  (Read 9875 times)
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 02 July, 2013, 08:42:45 PM »

As a rule I tend to change the brake fluid in our cars roughly every 4/5 years or so - primarily because the fluid has darkened. To me, a darker fluid = contamination = shortened seal life and corroded wheel cylinders. I have never had brake fluid which has boiled.
On my race car, I change the fluid every 2 years because the front brakes do get very very hot and it is part of my regular pre-season checklist.
I have never used silicone fluid by the way as someone told me once that changing from Dot 4 to silicone would result in problems with seals although the change could be made the other way without any problems. Is this true?
Chris

Chris I would not recommend Silicone fluid unless the whole of the brake system has been flushed and all seals replaced. I did this on both my Fulvias but not on the Flavia or Gamma as I kept a perfectly good system in place on those cars.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 03 July, 2013, 07:28:33 AM »

Brian,
We use a refractometer for our Pinello grapes to determine the sugar level is correct for picking before wine production. This scientific test is backed up by my neighbour, Alessandro looking very carefully at the colour of the pips in our grapes and he then chews them. My Italian is not good enough to understand what taste he is looking for but if he isnt happy we dont pick no matter what the refractometer reads!
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 03 July, 2013, 07:46:10 AM »

If I used our refractometer for brake fluid, I suspect I would end up at the bottom of a tank ....

We do the same with the pips - brown good, green bad ! along with tension in the skin - the grape's not mine

Tim,
not forgotten your allocation, it is being bottled next week ! (Blend of 65% syrah 35% carignan and a very slight touch of oak ....)

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Scott
Megaposter

« Reply #18 on: 03 July, 2013, 08:56:31 AM »

I think the manufacturers two year recommendations are OTT! I suppose they have to go worst case for a business driver doing mega miles and who frequents mountain passes. Boiling brakes isn't good with water in the system as the water boils at a much lower temperature than the brake fluid and makes the brakes far less effective! A recipe for an accident and the manufacturer getting the blame!

On a brake related problem I had a nightmare several years ago trying to bleed the brakes on my Coupé. Fluid just wasn't coming out of one of the rear bleed nipples as freely as the others. It transpired that one of my brake hoses had actually collapsed internally (although externally it looked fine!) restricting the flow of fluid. I ended up replacing all the hoses from a safety perspective!
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #19 on: 03 July, 2013, 09:17:29 AM »

To add to the previous posts, the fluid in the resevoir is open to atmosphere at all times, so how about that absorbing moisture? Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #20 on: 03 July, 2013, 09:18:36 AM »

Brian,
We use a refractometer for our Pinello grapes to determine the sugar level is correct for picking before wine production. This scientific test is backed up by my neighbour, Alessandro looking very carefully at the colour of the pips in our grapes and he then chews them. My Italian is not good enough to understand what taste he is looking for but if he isnt happy we dont pick no matter what the refractometer reads!
Chris
Chris /Simon,
Wonderful!
Technology will never replace experience, at least if we have any sense.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #21 on: 03 July, 2013, 09:23:06 AM »

To add to the previous posts, the fluid in the resevoir is open to atmosphere at all times, so how about that absorbing moisture? Richard
richard,
Yes it does and therefore it is necessary to check and replace if required, but it's the frequency of changing the fluid based on a period in time recommended by the manufactures, as opposed to the condition of the fluid itself after that period of time that is the question.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd