Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 03:47:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aprilia handbrake mechanism  (Read 4927 times)
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« on: 22 May, 2013, 09:00:56 AM »

Had occasion to struggle with sticking rear shoes and so contemplated the handbrake mechanism.  I had always assumed that the rollers on lower ends of the little levers connected by the rod acted equally to apply both shoes but I now see that the rear roller moves away from its shoe when the front one engages.   This seems singularly pointless!   All it can possible do is perhaps to aid in returning the mechanism to the off position by the rear shoe acting to push its roller forward and thus the front one away from its shoe.   Seems an elaborate way of doing it when a stronger spring would do the same.

* P1050156 [800x600].JPG (206.33 KB, 800x599 - viewed 367 times.)

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
BlueSky
Lapsed

« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2013, 10:16:03 AM »

David,
The hand brake mechanism shown in your photo is on back to front, but I think you are correct with your observation on how it operates.
Noel

* TAV 37.jpg (396.64 KB, 1149x1638 - viewed 379 times.)

* rear brake.jpg (308.63 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 384 times.)

1937 1st series Aprilia Berlina
Nissan X-Trail T31 TS
1920 P & M 3 1/2hp {FOR SALE}
John Deere LX188
www.narrywoolan.com.au/home
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2013, 06:51:54 AM »

otherwise the handbrake actuator return spring would have to overcome the residual pressure of the piston against the trailing shoe also from the foot brake. I suspect the piston would tend to set out once the handbrake takes the shoe towards the hub?
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2013, 11:18:10 PM »

I think your original assumption was indeed correct David. Also your photo shows the mechanism upside down rather than back to front.

When the handbrake is applied it does not rotate the little lever to which it is linked but moves it bodily foreward. This brings the roller at the bottom of the lever directly against the front shoe (ie the RH one in Noels picture) and at the same time pulls on the link which is pinned to the  top of the lever to transmit an equal force across to the other little lever. This then rocks on its fixed pivot to turn the tensile load in the rod into an outward force on the rear shoe.

To perhaps put it more simply the application of the handbrake forces apart the central pivot points of the two little levers, one being fixed to the backplate and the other being attached to the operating lever. The two little levers and the linking bar then ensure that equal and opposite forces are applied to the two shoes.

This very elegant and beautifully made system of levers gives very powerful braking and operates completely independantly from the hydraulic system.
Unfortunately however it is prone to seizures of the various pivot pins which at best leads to reduced handbrake efficiency and at worst causes the brakes to drag and even lock on completely.(Making it b*****y difficult to get the drum off to fix the problem!!) 
BlueSky
Lapsed

« Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2013, 06:47:28 AM »

David's photo is upside down, but the levers with the roller ends are on the wrong way. The slightly scalloped facet should face to the outside. See the corrected photo. David I hope this brake is not fitted to your car in this condition Huh?

* P1050156 [800x600].JPG (510.21 KB, 800x599 - viewed 373 times.)

Nissan X-Trail T31 TS
John Deere LX188
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 24 May, 2013, 07:01:04 AM »

I love this kind of technical detail that is highlighted and discussed. This is one of the big draws of the Forum for me; a great resource and very helpful if we want to keep our machines working as they should .....

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 25 May, 2013, 08:52:45 AM »

Fear not, that is the spare.  It came from Ben??!!   The ones on the car are the right way round though I confess I had not noticed the wrong 'un.  Intriguing...
I also had not appreciated that the whole lever and its pivot moves forward but when you look at it closely I see what you mean.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 25 May, 2013, 08:54:55 AM »

All the same, I think I'll take another look next time I have a day or two to spare as it did not seem to move the rear shoe at all as I recall even though all the bearings are free.

ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 25 May, 2013, 10:16:47 PM »

I just wish I could remember who I got it from!

And well spotted Noel---your eyesight must be better than mine!

By-the-by I put another 200+ miles on the Aprilia today going to Goodwood to see all the lovely Fulvias.--In the SUNSHINE!!!
BlueSky
Lapsed

« Reply #9 on: 27 May, 2013, 05:53:59 AM »

Not so much good eye sight, more from past experience!! I can't remember what happens when it's on the wrong way only that it causes a few problems.

Nissan X-Trail T31 TS
John Deere LX188
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd